Parking @ Hampden

Jul 5, 2005
Visit site
any weegies out there?

I'm going to the Scotland game tomorrow at Hampden and am looking for somewhere (fairly) secure to park the car.

I know the way, but used to park on the blaze pitches on the Rutherglen side but I believe there is something built there now - any help greatly appreciated!

G

Fubar,

You may need to add some translation. Many people will not know what a 'weegie' is, and those that do probably will not admit it.

My son is heading that way, but going by train. Be warned though, there is a lot of flooding around the area. I hope you have a good day, but I suspect (yes, even as a good Scot) that it is all a bit of a lost cause. Look on the bright side, the Scots won't get mugged in S Africa, unlike the English, and that is both on and off the pitch. Hee! Hee!

Jul 5, 2005
Visit site
Hmmm, good point about the flooding - I found some advice on the Hampden Stadium website, appears there will be limited parking on Polmadie Playing fields, although could be pretty boggy...

I dont for one minute think we'll qualify (or even beat Holland for that matter!), which is probably no bad thing - saves us being embarrassed on a world stage. qualifying would just paper over the cracks. I actually think England are starting to put together a good team, although whether they are world beaters (especially outwith Europe) remains to be seen.

finally, the weegies know who they are, no explanation needed...

G

I know, but will they admit to it? I was talking with a caravanner who lived just outside Glasgow and I put my foot in it by remarking 'Oh your a weegie then?'. If looks could kill I would be dead on the spot. I was brusquely informed that they lived just outside Glasgow and were therefore NOT weegies. I put my foot in it again by commenting that in Edinburgh we considered anybody living west of Livingstone a weeg so did not see the difference. Oops!

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Oh dear. Well for your info down this neck of the woods a lesbian has been known as a weegie for as long as I can remember .... heh! heh! heh!

When I saw Fubars post of any weegies out there I thought oooo'er.

G

Telling a weegie that she is a lesbian could result in you getting a 'Glasgow Kiss'. Not to be missed.

Jul 5, 2005
Visit site
Oops! never heard that one before - for clarification "weegie" is a well known phrase up here for Glaswegians, amongst other things...

we ended up dumping the car outside Rutherglen and walking through the rain to Hampden - wet, but at least we missed all the traffic coming back out after the game.

as for the match, 2 good goals but I'm glad I didn't pay for the tickets. as far as entertainment goes it was rubbish, the rammy at the end of the first half was the most exciting part!

Jul 5, 2005
Visit site
actually, while I remember there was a black Jag outside Hampden with the number plate: SL1

was that your son getting dropped off Scotch Lad?!?

G

Naw! He was on the horse and cart with all the 'tat'. If I had a number plate of that i could sell it for quite a bit I think.

The fans were all happy I gather but the big test is on Wednesday. The Macedonian fans who manged to make it to Glasgow were shown a good time and certainly no trouble. It would be very nice if luck did allow them to make it to SA, even if it was only to show the English fans how to behave, but realism dictates that is unlikely.

Jul 5, 2005
Visit site
realism says that we will beat Holland then wait a month to be pipped at the post on goal difference by some former Yugoslavian republic who have only been in existence for 5 years, who then go on to take SA by storm only to be put out by England at the quarter-final stage...

either that or we get stuffed by Holland, still reach the play-offs then get stuffed by Ireland! has to be some kind of success/disaster scenario.

TRENDING THREADS