Parking sensors

Jul 3, 2006
Visit site
Whilst we have no problems related to towing, What is the point of these irritating devices, surely the ability to park was covered in the driving test?.

On our S-max they are on permanently as soon as you select 1st or reverse and there is a button to cancel them but they switch back on again as soon as you take it out of that gear, beep beep beep all the bl...y time, which idiot designed it like this instead of a button to switch them on only when you want them, same with the seat belt warning, beep beep beep when you are manouvering the outfit on site with out wearing a seatbelt If you're dumb enough to drive off down the road without a belt on then your'e best off out of the gene pool anyway ( says he who rides a motorbike!) I would just short the wires coming out of the buckle but thes days that would probably cause the computer to crash and bring the car to a halt.

Sep 19, 2007
Visit site
They should only come on when you select reverse. You can then turn them off with the switch on the dash if you don't want them (don't come crying on here if you reverse into a post you couldn't see though! ;-) ).

If they come on when you only select first then you have a problem and should take it to your dealer.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Many Ford models have FRONT parking sensors as well as rear ones - either optional equipment or standard fit in a few cases.

Given that cars have got bigger but parking spaces haven't, most drivers find parking sensors very useful, particularly in crowded supermarkets.

Why do you need to undo a seatbelt to manoeuvre anywhere? The inertia reel allows enough movement for anyone.

Nov 7, 2005
Visit site
The point of these devices Garfield is to stop you hitting things - but i suppose you can't help some people...

The point of seat belt warnings is to persuade you to wear them - and stop you killing yourself...

The point of your argument is harder to explain... -:)

KnL

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
Similar set up on the VW, front sensors activate in first gear (up to 10 or 15 mph) and rears activate as soon as reverse is selected.

Fortunately the dashboard override switch keeps them off until the ignition is turned off and on again, which is a godsend as some idiot (me) didn't like the idea of a removeable towbar and our fixed one affects the rear sensors. They read the proximity of the hitch as an obstacle and are instantly on full alert, with a piercing audible warning and full array of red LED's.

I was hoping to be able to deactivate the centre sensors, just leaving the corners covered, but apparently that isn't possible so I'm now hoping Santa will bring me a removeable towbar.

Aug 4, 2008
Visit site
Bryan, they already have. It was obviously used in the carpark the other week by the car that reversed into my van - I was only gone 5 mins and I came back to a dent, since there was no sign of anybody with a tow hitch around it must have been one of these invisble stealth ones.......... If I catch the b*g**r...

woody

Jul 3, 2006
Visit site
Colinn

The point of my argument is simple, I am sick of being treated like an idiot by car manufacturers, I do not need parking sensors to park the car, I do not need seatbelt warning bells to tell me to put it on when required, If parking sensors stayed off untill you wanted them and you pushed a button to switch them on then fine no probs but when they are binging like a bunch of schoolkids learning the recorder when you are driving past long grass on the track to our house and a dozen other instances when they are nothing but an irritation, I would rather do without, My father in law was quite releived when they packed up on his car and told the garage not to fix them.

I do not want to have the effort of putting a seatbelt on every time I get in the car to move it a few yards off the public highway nor do I want to listen to the Kids on recorders if I do not wear a seatbelt in such circumstances.

Oct 22, 2007
Visit site
Colinn

The point of my argument is simple, I am sick of being treated like an idiot by car manufacturers, I do not need parking sensors to park the car, I do not need seatbelt warning bells to tell me to put it on when required, If parking sensors stayed off untill you wanted them and you pushed a button to switch them on then fine no probs but when they are binging like a bunch of schoolkids learning the recorder when you are driving past long grass on the track to our house and a dozen other instances when they are nothing but an irritation, I would rather do without, My father in law was quite releived when they packed up on his car and told the garage not to fix them.

I do not want to have the effort of putting a seatbelt on every time I get in the car to move it a few yards off the public highway nor do I want to listen to the Kids on recorders if I do not wear a seatbelt in such circumstances.
Choice is yours alone dude it's your car, buy a different car or one with it as an option that you don't have to have. Did that with the Rav, didn't want the model that had headlights came on automatically when it was "dark" and the wipers that came on when it "rained" so bought the model below and added the options I DID want.

May 5, 2005
Visit site
dont know about SMax but on the Galaxy/Sharan variants you can use VAG.COM to adjust the volume down on parking sensors to zero for front/back or both.Think you are stuk with the seatbelt warning tho.At least its not the chiming on American cars that goes on even after youve buckled up.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts