Passat 130 Tdi

May 15, 2007
Visit site
I can't remember which forum I was reading, but someone who had recently bought a new passat 140bhp said that it wasn't a patch on the older 130bhp model as far as towing went. I was thinking on changing to the newer model, but this comment has put things on hold. Any views would be welcome

Aug 25, 2006
Visit site
Hi Rob,

Probably me!

The 140 is a fine towcar, but you just have to work harder.

The 130 Sport (now the other halfs runabout) has lower gearing, and the torque comes in stronger and earlier so its far easier to get off the line.

The 130 is also happier pulling in 6th with the van on, and if you lose a few revs a drop to 5th regains momentum, wheras the new one will require you to drop a couple of gears to regain the lost speed.

The 130 is also a good 3 to 5 mpg better towing.

I will always use the new one for towing as:-

a) Its newer

b) Its a company car

c) I don`t pay for any fuel used ( except abroad )

That doesn`t make it `better` though, only preferable!

Aug 30, 2007
Visit site
A fine car the 130 - my son has the estate and it is a most impressive vehicle.

However he has had a few electrical problems due to muck blocking drainage vents behind the battery and causing water to build up in the battery tray and enter the passenger compartment.

We only found this to be the problem after searching various VW forums all of which were incredibly helpful.

Trouble is the water managed to get into the ECU which is housed in a plastic box under the carpet in the passenger footwell.

We think we were lucky and managed to extract it and dry it out - but it is now throwing up a few niggly faults which can be a pain to clear.

I post this just to warn people that if you have a Passat take the battery out and give the bay and surrounding area a good clean.

Any sign of damp in the footwell get it sorted!

Sep 21, 2007
Visit site
A fine car the 130 - my son has the estate and it is a most impressive vehicle.

However he has had a few electrical problems due to muck blocking drainage vents behind the battery and causing water to build up in the battery tray and enter the passenger compartment.

We only found this to be the problem after searching various VW forums all of which were incredibly helpful.

Trouble is the water managed to get into the ECU which is housed in a plastic box under the carpet in the passenger footwell.

We think we were lucky and managed to extract it and dry it out - but it is now throwing up a few niggly faults which can be a pain to clear.

I post this just to warn people that if you have a Passat take the battery out and give the bay and surrounding area a good clean.

Any sign of damp in the footwell get it sorted!
Darce

You might want to check the 10mm bolts are tight on the pollen filter housing and that there is no muck around it also.

It is on the left hand side of the car, under the bonnet,below the windscreen.

I had water in the passenger footwell which was coming through the housing. It also effected the alarm.

I also agree with your comments on the battery tray.

As for the 130 estate as a tow car, I've just replaced mine with a Nissan X Trail(second hand). It was struggling a bit on hills and it blew a high pressure turbo pipe on our way back from Cornwall.

I much prefer the X Trail for stability and it cruises up hills with comparative ease.

I was at a 83% match with the VW, in case you were wondering and I'm now on 89%.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts