Passat 2.0 140 estate towing

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
It’s the website idiosyncratic way the Mods tend to move messages to the correct section. Guess you’re looking for advice on the Passat as a Towcar?

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Just seen this posting, or apologies for posting in New Members and have moved it to here.
I am guessing that the OP would like any info from owners of same car to advise on suitability.

Aug 31, 2019
Visit site
Hi all

Thank you for replying I deleted as I couldn’t see how to move it :cheer:
Basically I gave a 2007 2.0 Passat 140bhp estate.
I have been towing an Elddis crown with a mpltm of 1300kg. It pulls it fine and have been away a few times. However I bought the caravan when the wife was away for the day without her permission lol and she doesn’t like it. We ended up going to look at a fleetwood/Adria sonata concerto 6 berth.
On the net all the reviews and and advert sites stated mtlpm as 1300kg. When we went to look we loved it and wanted it. The Adria booklet stated 1090kg miro and 1300kg mtlpm so happy days or do I thought. when I checked the vin plate it was 1190kg and 1500kg mtlpm I passed after 97 so I knew I couldn’t tow it.
The wife realy wanted van so I ended up ringing back and agreed the sale. I booked the B+E test and gave had the lessons just awaiting test date.
I put my Passat on a weighbridge and it is 1540kg with an empty tank.
With just me in and 3/4 tank it will be 1660kg at the kerb.
I will have the wife and kids + equipment which will make the car approx 1800kg at least.
I know I will be legal towing the van but will it be suitable ? I am already looking at Ford Galaxy’s as they are heavier.
I am not new to towing as I had a caravan a few years ago but I like to worry about stuff :blink:

Sorry for long post
Cheers.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Dazzzzbo said:
Hi all

Thank you for replying I deleted as I couldn’t see how to move it :cheer:
Basically I gave a 2007 2.0 Passat 140bhp estate.
I have been towing an Elddis crown with a mpltm of 1300kg. It pulls it fine and have been away a few times. However I bought the caravan when the wife was away for the day without her permission lol and she doesn’t like it. We ended up going to look at a fleetwood/Adria sonata concerto 6 berth.
On the net all the reviews and and advert sites stated mtlpm as 1300kg. When we went to look we loved it and wanted it. The Adria booklet stated 1090kg miro and 1300kg mtlpm so happy days or do I thought. when I checked the vin plate it was 1190kg and 1500kg mtlpm I passed after 97 so I knew I couldn’t tow it.
The wife realy wanted van so I ended up ringing back and agreed the sale. I booked the B+E test and gave had the lessons just awaiting test date.
I put my Passat on a weighbridge and it is 1540kg with an empty tank.
With just me in and 3/4 tank it will be 1660kg at the kerb.
I will have the wife and kids + equipment which will make the car approx 1800kg at least.
I know I will be legal towing the van but will it be suitable ? I am already looking at Ford Galaxy’s as they are heavier.
I am not new to towing as I had a caravan a few years ago but I like to worry about stuff :blink:

Sorry for long post
Cheers.

3/4,tank weighing 120kg. I think at .832kg per litre for diesel you need to recheck your figures.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Dazzzzbo said:
I said with just me in at 85kg plus approx 45 litres of fuel. It was just an estimate.
I weighed the car empty without me in.

Oops. Apologies

With kerbweight:MTPLM of 90% and if within the makers towing specification the outfit should be okay. And as you say more load will go into the car so you need to ensure that Gross train Weight is within makers spec, but knowing VAG cars you should be oaky, but check. As long as all legal boxes are ticke why not give the outfit a run out to a local site and see how it performs. The 140 bhp VAG engines pull well.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
The B6 estate that you probably have (bulls-eye LED rear light clusters?) has a kerb weight of 1525Kg and a towing capacity of 1800Kg so you will have no trouble - so why go for a different vehicle? The Passat is one of the better cars on the road, easy to drive, good, willing, and economical engine, and as comfortable seats as you will find anywhere.
If it does not have a towbar yet get a Westfalia removable fitted and you're laughing.

We had a 58 plate which we bought at three years old and it was one of the best cars we have ever had. So much so that we went from that to a B7 estate 140TDi and now have a B8 150 GT estate which tows best of the lot.
If you want more space but a car that also tows well, look seriously at a Skoda Superb estate - previous owners will often say that it is a better car than a VW - they certainly have very good dealers!

Aug 31, 2019
Visit site
Hi thanks for reply’s.
Mine is the B6 variant with bullseye rear lights.
The gross train weight is approx 3900kg and Mam is 2140kg so well within the gtw.
I had just read that you shouldn’t include the weight of other people and luggage as kerb weight. I have been using it to tow my Elddis and it was fine but got to drop a cog on the hills but that’s to be expected I suppose. I just treat it like I’ve lost a gear I.e. 5th is now 4th.

All I’m afraid of is if the caravan snakes and the car isn’t heavy enough as I stupidly watched a vid on YouTube :cheer:
I use the what tow car site and it states that it’s an ok match with a small chance of snaking at high speed.
310kg seems a lot for a caravan manufacturer to give a caravan or is it because the same chassis is used on the symphony which is a heavier van ?
Cheers

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Good towing is not just about weight ratio's, its has its importance, but its far from the only factor to be considered.

Specifically the Passat has won numerous accolades over the years for safe roomy practical family transport as well as lifting Tow car of the year on several occasions.

In its class there are few to rival it, and there are certainly many that are not so good. Unless there is a pressing reason to change it. Id suggest sticking with it.

Aug 31, 2019
Visit site
Hi John

Thank you very much or the reply.
I am still tempted by a galaxy for the extra seats now that I have a 6 berth but at least I know I don’t have to change it.

Cheers

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
I agree that in theory, a higher caravan to car weight ratio could increase the risk of a snake - however, this assumes that all other factors are equal, which of course they never are. The distribution of load within the car and caravan, vehicle speed, wind speed, whether you are towing up or down hill, vehicle suspension, tyre pressures and conditions are among many other factors that could have an influence.

Like Woodentop, I've been driving Passat estates for about the last decade and started towing with them in 2015. I would wholeheartedly recommend them for both towing and comfortable solo driving. Given that you have previous experience of towing a smaller caravan with yours, I personally wouldn't be too worried about towing your new larger van with it. Just be aware that there is the potential for it to be a bit less stable in, for example, strong winds and/or exposed locations.

Just as an aside, the worst snake I've ever encountered was whilst towing an empty twin-axle Swift caravan with a much heavier 4x4 Hyundai Santa Fe. I have no idea what caused it and am certainly not suggesting that any of the existing guidance should be re-written to reflect my limited experience - only saying that no general guidance can cover all car, caravan and location-specific combinations.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts