Passat or Touran 105 BHP

Apr 15, 2005
Visit site
I am looking at VW passats or possibly a Touran to pull my Pageant Bordeaux (MTPLW 1350Kg though its never fully loaded). The Newer Passats seem to have the better Kerb Weights. Question is would the 105 BHP models be a waste of time. I do some fairly long tugs through France each summer.

Beyond that are there any advantages with the Touran.

Thanks

Rob

Jul 3, 2006
Visit site
We have towed with a 110 hp sharan tdi and power was adequate to tow a 1400kg 20' twin axle, though I find driving with more power in reserve is less tiring, Try to get a 115 or 130hp, you are unlikely to notice a difference in fuel economy.

Mar 9, 2006
Visit site
Rob, I think you'll find that the 102 bhp Touran has a max. trailer weight of 1200 kgs., (12% gradient). I've got the 140 TDI and pull a 1500 Kg. 'van with it, and it's a great tow-car.(Handbook K.Wt. for mine quotes 1712 kgs., and I've had it confirmed on two weigh-bridges).

Sep 2, 2006
Visit site
Hi, I have the 105 bhp tdi Touran and tow a Swift Conqueror, as confirmed max towable weight is 1500kg, so we don't load the caravan to its maximum weight, the car with me in it tips the scales at 1720kg, didn't realise that the Passat's were as heavy as previous reply.

So far it has out performed my previous MPV and a Diahatsu Fourtrak, and i am more than happy with both stability handling and economy either towing or solo, The 140 bhp would have been nice, but i have found the 105 bhp adequate.When it was new in 2005 i towed an elderly elddis Sirocco twin axle down to the Med, it was quite happy holding 70 mph at times in sixth gear.

I would believe that the lower maximum tow weight may be down to the fact that the manufacturer is expecting you to be lugging 7 adults together with the caravan in tow!

Regards Paul.

Apr 15, 2005
Visit site
Thanks everyone, has anyone experience of towing with the 105bhp passats? I previously has a 110 passat, pulled well but it was a bit light on kerbweight. I guess many of us wrestle with the cost of a bigger vehicle for 10% of the driving time we spend towing. I'll keep pondering and hopefull make the switch by June. By the way my current Pug 406 is a great tow car but has been useless on reliability.

Thanks again

Rob

TRENDING THREADS