Passat TDi 115 Estate? Any Good

Oct 9, 2006
Visit site
Hi all, first post - be gentle ;-)

After much convincing by the wife we are looking at getting our first van. We have looked about and found that it looks like the Passat we own ( 115PD sports estate) is actually quite a light car for towing with, handbook says 1411kg unladen. ( Although this varies on different websites)

Vans we like are something like the Bailey Ranger 500/5 MTPLM of 1271kg. I know this is a bit over the 85% rule but is that a huge issue? What problems am I likely to get?

I'm not a new driver ( drive 2-3k miles/month) and have happily towed cars on trailers, recently our 1973 VW Camper on a car trailer, I suspect heavier than the van and with a rather dubious centre of gravity. car seemd to cope no trouble with it.

Kinda wondered what the real world thought of this?

Opinions welcomed!

Scott

Aug 25, 2006
Visit site
Welcome Scott.

I`ve towed with a Passat TDI 110 SE, and a TDI130 Sport.

Both were good tugs, the 110 being more than adeqate, but the stiffer sport suspension a bit better for control, although there was a fuel penalty of about 4 mpg when towing.

If the car is in reasonable fettle, you shouldn`t have any problem at all. Load it sensibly,and enjoy!

Just got a new TDI 140 Sport Estate yesterday, if it`s as good as the old`un i`ll be a happy chappie.

Sep 13, 2006
Visit site
Welcome Scott.

I`ve towed with a Passat TDI 110 SE, and a TDI130 Sport.

Both were good tugs, the 110 being more than adeqate, but the stiffer sport suspension a bit better for control, although there was a fuel penalty of about 4 mpg when towing.

If the car is in reasonable fettle, you shouldn`t have any problem at all. Load it sensibly,and enjoy!

Just got a new TDI 140 Sport Estate yesterday, if it`s as good as the old`un i`ll be a happy chappie.
I run a Seat Alhambra with the same VW PD 115 engine and tow a substantially heavier van than yours - it is absolutely fine, the torque delivery is ideal for towing.

I am also above the 85% rec using MTPLM and again it is fine, although this is obviously more car specific.

Sep 13, 2006
Visit site
I run a Seat Alhambra with the same VW PD 115 engine and tow a substantially heavier van (MTPLM 1710kg) than yours - it is absolutely fine, the torque delivery is ideal for towing.

I am also above the 85% rec using MTPLM and again it is fine, although this is obviously more car specific.

Apologies for posting twice but posted as a comment instead of as reply to topic - Why have the two?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have been towing with a 115bhp for three years now, and I find the car excellent, although a little bit light on the body side for my bailey champagne, but a great puller, if you have your eye on one make sure that it has had a cambelt change recently, or check the service history to see when this was last done--it is an expensive job to do as the whole front of the car has to come forward 3 inches, and I mean the whole front, so if this has not been changed anytime within the last 30,000/40,00 miles---I would have the seller do the biz before you buy it------vw quote 40,000 miles for a change, but when I changed mine at 32,000 it was cracked all aroud the outside

Oct 9, 2006
Visit site
Campbelt life seems to be pretty variable on all VW's... VW originally stated 120k miles for 1.8T's but now recommend 80k. Last I heard it was 60k on the PD 115's. Will check mine out again as I was working on another 15k miles before it got changed.

Variables such as how quick you do the miles make a difference to, I do over 2k miles/month which is different to someone that does that in 6 months

Cheers

TRENDING THREADS