Passenger (person) lift NOT WHEELCHAIR to fix to our caravan

Dec 22, 2007
Visit site
My wife has had a stroke and would dearly love to caravan again, most of her day is spent in a wheelchair but with Physio & OT is now able to "walk" but steps are a real problem. Is able to manage unaided inside our caravan but step/steps are a big problem.(Thought of useing the battery/motor from a bath lift 24v. and "make a lift". Any ideas would be most welcome.

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
a caravan mag had article on disable vans used ramps ect ect there must be some thing for every one dont give up you canot be the first dont let it stop you

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Hi Brian.

Just a thought, but what about a portable platform lift. Machine mart have a few to look at. Sure they are targeted at industrial use, but with a bit of "thinking outside the box" would one overcome your wife's dilema.

Unfortunately purpose made disabled items do cost a lot as they are often made in such small quantities and they tooling cost is vast.

I had a wheeled table lift that would lift 150Kgs and when at it's lowest it was about 6" above ground. Unfortunately it had to be scrapped due to non CE marking compliance.

If you require any help I'll be only too pleased to assist.

All the best

Steve L.

May 5, 2005
Visit site
I have a platform lift as stated to lift M/cycle for servicing pump it with footpedal to raise hydraulic jack its about 6" high from Machine Mart could bolt platform and handrail to it could possibly adapt with a battery powered screw to lift and lower .

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Can you wife manage a ramp. If so a cheaper alternative may be to ask The OT to sketch out the sort of slope or design that would be OK and to recommend a non slip covering and get a local handyman to make it.

mel

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Brianr.

I have been thinking about how you might be able to help your wifes mobility problem. I seem to recall many years ago seeing a caravan that had been adapted so that a person codl have assisted entry and exit with what was a step sized lift just outside the door. I have tried to find such a device but I suspect it does not conform to current health and safety reuirements for such things.

However I have been thinking of possible alternatives. I have to assume that even the 6" minimum height of the equipment tables others have mentioned would be a problem , not to mention the 90Kg plus weight of the lifts them selves.

Pursuing a number of web sits I came across bath lifts, and I have found some on Ebay This would involve setting the device up outside the caravan door, but to composite movement of up and down and swinging, and the seated position with arms may provide the range of movement to safely assist your wife. See:-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HEAVY-DUTY-BATH-LIFT_W0QQitemZ300346261049QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Health_Beauty_Mobility_Disability_Medical_ET?hash=item45ee083e39&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14
I don't know the weight or ultimately how piratical it may be for you but this and others may provide a possible solution.

Ultimately you need a rising step, It seem the technology may exist as a variation of simple rise and fall bath chair. These are typically rated to 150Kg, they have the necessary rise and fall distance, and some look to be quite light. They would need some development to provide the stability and the handrails for passenger safety.

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Hi Brian.

Just thinking on a bit with regard to my option of using a lift platform. Deli Dave has said he has a motorcycle lift. That might be a bit big but the loading ramp off that might provide a gradient access to a smaller table platform.

The table platform I had was about 750mm long by 500mm wide which was hydraulicly operated with a foot pedal in a simlar way to a trolley jack.

Being an engineer, I supose I tend to think a bit more latteraly, as over the year I've had to adapt and repair mant macchines where spare parts just simply don't exist.

I have in the past used a wheelchair ramp made for London Taxi's on our previous caravan so that my in-laws could get into the van easier as they were both disabled. It would be too steep on a modern caravan as they seem to have grown by a good 6" on ground clearance.

Kind regards.

Steve L.

Dec 22, 2007
Visit site
Hi to all who have taken the time (and thought) to reply, I know the answer is out there somewhere as I have had previous problems solved. My wife can manage our 4" wide front step so stepping on to a 6" platform would not be an issue by next year. A ramp is an idea I had not thought of with possibly hand rail/s attached,but must consider wet conditions may be a problem. Hydraulic lift may be one solution but from past experience their weight could be an issue. Regarding Machine Mart and adapting platform still thinking about this conversion as I have already fitted an exterior mains socket . (always concerned about adding additional weight)hence my original idea of adapting a 12v disabled bath lift

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts