Permanent Caravanning.

Page 4 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks to all of you for sharing your thoughts with us. It's great to hear from some of you who've done the same as us, and realised what an absolute lousy rip off this once great country of ours once was.

Yes, we are keeping a diary, and also photos. In time, we will enlarge, but for obvious reasons, we will keep a lot of what we do between ourselves. There are too many, far too many, government paid jobsworths out there who probably will never be hard up as they live off the back of the rest of us like leeches.

We're very happy, and that's all that matters.

Bless you all XXX

G

I have followed the various posts on this topic with interest. I also appear to have been castigated as a 'doommonger' for not necessarily supporting the viewpoint 100%. That is my choice, just as it is valid for those who feel it is the answer to all problems.

I do not share the arguments put forward for not achieving what the majority of the population have evidently managed to do. That does not mean I accept being a slave either. Getting into such a position at such a late stage in life suggests to me that other factors are involved, which are naturally personal, but to blame everything, and anything for that situation may not be correct. Again, I cannot judge because I do not know the full circumstances, nor wish to. As a Scot I know that for the last 300 years many many people have left the homeland because they felt there was nothing left for them. I also have spent more years than I wish to count away from 'home' in order to make a life for ourselves.

I just know that I crawled out from the 'swamp' with my bootstraps and managed with lots of effort over many many years to get something of my own. My children are both doing the same. I do know for instance that if I divorced the split would cause pain and financial anguish to both my wife and I. Fortunately we have both agreed that this would not be beneficial to either of us and is not likely to happen. Plus we love each other. That scenario may,or may not be part of the case for those involved in this post. I do not know, nor wish to know. I just feel that for someone who is evidently old enough to have come through the Thatcher era as a working person, then there were opportunities, and I would suggest the majority of members of this Forum, of similar age,have managed some tangible benefits from life.

So, would I wish to opt out of life as a home owner? Possibly yes, but I personally would not entertain living in a touring caravan. A large yacht, or even a large motorhome possibly because they have the facilities to support that lifestyle for a longer period of time. I also look ahead. The European Union for what it is worth, is a fact. Tax harmonisation is now fact, compulsory registration of all citizens will come about shortly. I do not like it, but if I stay in Europe I cannot stop it. I just do not wish to be caught in a corner and then having to rely on the State to support me. And that is my choice.

We all have problems and we all view them differently and with different solutions. I only hope that those chosen by each and everyone is a success now, and more importantly, in the future. However, that does not mean that we do not all have our own choice at the end of the day. My sole reason for disagreeing with the chosen option, is that I think there are other, and better ones. Only time will tell if I, or others, are correct.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Despite what some might say if those that live permanently in their caravans go out to work and don't live off the state they have my utmost respect.

Not everyone who works earn megabucks unfortunately.

Not everyone lived in a council house in the early 80s and had the chance to buy and get their foot on the housing ladder.

Some have talented children and cannot afford to send their children to university and live with a mortgage, so choose to live a life where they can help their children to achieve.

Today if young couples wish to buy they both have to work. They can choose to have no family or once their child is born to put that child into nursery so they can carry on earning. While they are on maternity leave their employers have to employ someone to cover them while the taxpayer pays. No wonder the retirement age is being raised, something has to give. These kids as they grow become latch key kids, roaming the streets while their parents are at work. There are many instances of cases where the parents are intent on making money while the children are making mayhem. Quite simply the family unit has gone and this is the cause of a lot of the problems in this country today. These same kids are busy procreating behind the bike sheds, more mouths to feed for the burdened taxpayer. We have the highest rate of schoolgirl mothers in the civilised world.

As I see it this is the rat race they want to get out of and as wage earners they have my greatest respect. Good luck to the lot of you. The only thing that p****s me off is immigrants to these shores are housed with everything from food to furnishings free of charge.

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Despite what some might say if those that live permanently in their caravans go out to work and don't live off the state they have my utmost respect.

Not everyone lived in a council house in the early 80s and had the chance to buy and get their foot on the housing ladder.

Some have talented children and cannot afford to send their children to university and live with a mortgage, so choose to live a life where they can help their children to achieve.

Today if young couples wish to buy they both have to work. They can choose to have no family or once their child is born to put that child into nursery so they can carry on earning. While they are on maternity leave their employers have to employ someone to cover them while the taxpayer pays. No wonder the retirement age is being raised, something has to give. These kids as they grow become latch key kids, roaming the streets while their parents are at work. There are many instances of cases where the parents are intent on making money while the children are making mayhem. Quite simply the family unit has gone and this is the cause of a lot of the problems in this country today. These same kids are busy procreating behind the bike sheds, more mouths to feed for the burdened taxpayer. We have the highest rate of schoolgirl mothers in the civilised world.

As I see it this is the rat race they want to get out of and as wage earners they have my greatest respect. Good luck to the lot of you. The only thing that p****s me off is immigrants to these shores are housed with everything from food to furnishings free of charge.
I've put these notes into comments, not to hide them away but it seems we are diverting from the original subject which is a shame as it's so interesting.

My Lord, despite your obvious noble ancestry, your humility and understanding of the under classes is admirable.

I agree with your every comment above - Well said.

Just to add a little. I have a lot of sympathy for parents on low pay where both parents have to work to live.

I have absolutely no sympathy, infact quite the opposite for parents who both work when the main earner brings in a good income, then getting Govt handouts to subsidise farming the kids out to child minders who are paid barely more than the minimum wage.

I know of several families where the main bread winner earns substantially more than me, who had the kids booked into child care before they were born ! so that they could both continue working. And all to ensure they could still have that diving holiday in the Maldives (without the kids), the latest TV or a garden makeover.

The help and handouts given to these people are obscene and should be diverted to the people who really need it.

Jan 28, 2008
Visit site

Be patient folks!.......in the not too distant future the vast tract that is eastern europe will be uninhabited. It will be relatively easy to walk through the tunnel and find plenty of empty houses. I's quite sure that foreign governments will afford us all the same rights tha good old GB does to any body else that cares to wander over here (NOT!)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Lord B has obviously read and understood our post. He understands the predicament that many of us find ourselves in in the UK in 2007. A predicament that will hit many thousands before long.

We both work, but we only earn very low wages. Wages that will not support any form of reasonable life as most people know it. Holidays, nights out,and the like are totally impossible for us. Scrabble is our main form of 'entertainment', and we walk a lot to keep ourselves fit and healthy. We've never claimed any type of benefits, and never will. We simply sustain ourselves at our own expense.

Council Housing. Well, in this area there is a waiting list of over 12,000 for it. In other words, forget it. It's the same in most areas of the UK despite the Labour spin.

Savings.....hard enough to live off what we earn. Our average weekly food spend is around

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Ogre,

I'm glad you have found someone in your life who cares for you and you only, not for materials possessions, she must be one in a million. Keep your head held high, you are as good as anyone else who works but for one reason or another are on an higher salary/standard of living than yourselves.

Thorpedo,

the people I was referring to, and I know many of them, are high salary earners. One couple, a manager in the NHS and his wife, a staff nurse, are probably bring in about

Jan 9, 2008
Visit site
Im just blown away by your post Ogre, what can one say.

You're doing things your way obviously and the way some things have gone in your life who can blame you.

Forgetting a lot of issues, if your budget only allows

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Lord B has obviously read and understood our post. He understands the predicament that many of us find ourselves in in the UK in 2007. A predicament that will hit many thousands before long.

We both work, but we only earn very low wages. Wages that will not support any form of reasonable life as most people know it. Holidays, nights out,and the like are totally impossible for us. Scrabble is our main form of 'entertainment', and we walk a lot to keep ourselves fit and healthy. We've never claimed any type of benefits, and never will. We simply sustain ourselves at our own expense.

Council Housing. Well, in this area there is a waiting list of over 12,000 for it. In other words, forget it. It's the same in most areas of the UK despite the Labour spin.

Savings.....hard enough to live off what we earn. Our average weekly food spend is around

May 21, 2008
Visit site
I quite agree with LB's comments.

My line of work often dictates that I lodge away from Herefordshire. Just before christmas I was in scotland for instance for 3 weeks.

Paying for the upkeep of our bricks and mortar at over

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Ogre, Good luck to you, I wish you and your partner all the best.

I'm so sorry to hear about what happened to your first wife and two children. The pain must be unbearable, something the average person cannot imagine. I'm so so sorry to read what you say about you couldn't care less if you died tomorrow.

Without wanting to sound patronising, have you considered counselling? It might be worth a try.

I guess we can all site here in judgement but by the grace of god, we haven't experienced any such pain as you have.

Lisa xx
Thanks Lisa. Counselling, not for me my love. I shoulder my own woes and burdens, and just get on with life as it is. You're a good lot on here, but at the end of the day we all just get on with whatever 'life' throws at us, and I'm no different.

Be good. Back another day. XX

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Well. Progress report. As we enter our 6th Month of our chosen lifestyle, I'm pleased to report that we have taken everything that winter has had to throw at us, and we're still loving it. Some of the gales we've been through, have been fearsome, and enough to send the caravan and awning into orbit, but we're still OK. Good guy ropes, and long metal pegs are the secret.

We've also floored out the awning with 4 sheets of 8' X 4' 19mm tanolised board on 3" X 2" treated bearers to keep the floor off the ground, and dry and damp away. It's been a huge success.

Our gas cylinder (6Kg Propane) finally ran out on March 19th...having lasted since December 20th......absolutely amazing.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Hi Ogre, nice to hear from you and that you are both surviving what the elements are throwing at us :O)

Be positive, the worse is behind us now hopefully. The hawthorn buds are breaking and hopefully it's on the up for us from now onwards.

Regards to you and your good lady :O)

Apr 4, 2005
Visit site
Hi Ogre

It's great to hear from you and especially to hear that things are still going well for you both. I love hearing of the practical things you are doing to make things better, so very best wishes for continued contentment.

Chris

Dec 6, 2007
Visit site
Hi I've not read all the above , just too much!

There are sites arround that will allow you 12 months use as pointed out for long term costruction workers etc.

My Mum & Dad lived in a static for a few years this was an 11 month site so they had to stay with family for all of January.

Its a good idea, you should be able to save to cover the depreciation on your caravan so you don't end up living in something thats not realy nice.

good luck.

Gareth

May 21, 2008
Visit site
This thread is a delight to read and can only serve as insperation to us all.

Like Phil. I too work in the construction industry, errecting all sorts of poultry houses. Thankfully the farmers are pushing more and more into free range production where there are fewer birds per mtr and so bigger sheds are needed. But we are blighted by Polski's who get all th free handouts, take up all the in town rented housing, and even are able to claim uk child allowance for their kids at home in Polskiland!! They have driven down wages by undercutting the Brits and our lot work for

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
I'll look out for you in May then Steve :O)

I'll give you a toot. I can't wait to tell aquaintances that the chap pitched on Holmer roundabout is a member of the same forum as me .... hehheh!

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
We are now in our third year and this year's gales have been the worst however the awning and everything else stood up well to the elements. Easter weekend has been quiet with some people arriving on the Friday only to leave again on the Saturday!

Mar 25, 2008
Visit site
I have read this thread with real interest. As we too are now 'fulltimers' living in our caravan.

We began our 'adventure' at the end of February and have noted some of your comments ogre about extra poles for the awning roof etc.

I agree totally with those of us who have 'taken the step' we too work and live quietly in a beautiful woodland clearing.

Yes its hard when the weather turns for the worst but life is livable and with the right equipment is comfortable.

any advice will be truely apreciated.

Best wishes

Apr 4, 2005
Visit site
Hi Goldilocks

I take my hat off to all of you who have taken the plunge and had the courage to actually do what some of us just think about doing. Good luck and lets hear your experiences too.

Chris

Dec 30, 2007
Visit site
Hi All,

Nice to hear from ya all again & that we all survived the elements.The winds certainly were something else must admit that as big and old as i am i was starting to get a bit concerned at times.I think we went without sleep for two nights wondering what field we might wake up in!!.I did think about tie-ing the van down somehow but did'nt want to look daft,so i filled as many sealed water containers as i could and slid them into all the low down storage lockers and under the bed to make the van as heavy as poss.Well seemed to have worked the van never moved,plus i have'nt had to go over to the water tap for a while!.Also how many of ya have become acclimatised to the weather,we dont notice the cold as much unlike friends we know that still live in bricks n mortar an how ya notice nature & the seasons changing.We love it & we cant wait to get back from work and relax and take it all in.Any way glad ya all still here an hope to bump into some of ya sometime.Take care & enjoy.Kev & Christina.

May 21, 2008
Visit site
We are still locked in the sale process at present but hopefully by the end of April we should be free agents.

Her in doors, is a little sceptical about braking away from bricks and going to wheels. i supose it is understandable as when she was a child her parents towed a 23ft bluebird with a MK2 jag around Pembrokeshire picking spuds and around Herefordshire picking hops and fruit. In those days anyone who lived in a caravan was branded a "gypo".

But the Gypsy faternaty didn't regard them as part of their "family" as they were not born and bred into the lifestyle.

I regard our caravan as our second home being promoted to first. I'm quite fed up of people stigmatising the way folks live. Quite frankly, if an alternative to either financial ruin, or extortionate basic living costs can be found, then good luck is all I can say.

With the "underlying" rate of inflation at 2.5% but our reality check on the high street telling us that inflation is truthfully in double figures (17% on average. I wouldn't say the goverment are cooking the books, they are incinerating them !!!!

We have looked at local rented accomodation, but nearly all object to dogs and half refuse kids, or smokers. The latter two don't bother us, but why on earth should we be dictated to if we are shelling out over

Apr 4, 2005
Visit site
Hi Steve

Good luck to you when you make the move. I totally agree with your comment about the basic living costs. Our son of 27 is feeling increasingly defeated before he starts as are most of his friends as they try to get on the property ladder. They too consider alternative living and I don't blame them, but my only concern is what happens many years down the line? I think life was always a struggle for new homeowners, but I think it is even more so for today's young folks. Look forward to hearing your experiences.

Chris

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Steve we live about 25 mile from where you are located in Leominster. I agree about a rented property never mind having to shell out one and a half month's rent as deposit and then the first month's rent on top of the deposit. As for inflation this government has most of the people hoodwinked. My salry only increases by an average of 2.5% in line with their inflation figure but council tax goes up 7%, road tax next year goes up a staggering 50% on a medoum size 4 year old family car, petrol has gone up a minimum of 10%, food increases have been in the viciity of 10%, etc etc.

Who lives in the real world, us the consumer, but not the politicians!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts