permanent living in vendee........

ed1

Aug 29, 2006
Visit site
is it possible to live in your tourer in france....maybe in vendee ..does anyone know of any sites, or maybe even done this themselves...im afraid weve had enough of england and would like a change...but dont want to make a mistake...so thought of living in tourer and having a look at the areas...then maybe buying a static to live in.......lifes too short...thankyou in anticipation...edwina

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
I don't think you'll find many sites open all year around in the Vendee - which is very much a summer holiday destination. Some French sites offer seasonal pitches - but strangely although the weather is much better than here, for a lot of sites the season is very short, sometimes only May to end of September, or even earlier! I have a feeling that there are some restrictions about staying for very long periods, but someone else may know more about that.

There are sites in France - but again not as many as you'd think - which are open all year. Alan Rogers used to publish a book called 'Open all Year' - I think it's out of print now, but might be worth looking around your local second hand book stores, and looking on line to see if you can order it. There is a British owned site, in the Loire, which sounds lovely, and is open all year - Le Chant d'Oiseau - and Stu may know of other sites which are open all year - but again, I don't think it's the sort of site where there are 'long-stayers'. Have you looked at the Camping Cheque website http://www.campingcheque.co.uk/en/ - they offer a cheap way of staying on four star sites for

Dec 15, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for the recommendation Val, that's lovely.

Ed, we do own a small campsite here in the Loire and we're often asked if we'd take on a long-term tourer. We've often turned these away, but we're now thinking that maybe we could do it for a limited 'season', in a similar way to the scheme run by the CC in the UK. There are a few sites open year round in France, but not many. We open year round because we live here, it's our home.

There are those I've seen who buy a small plot of land and simply pitch their 'van on it. Some do this whilst building their houses, some don't seem to be building anything at all. This route though would open you up to the rules and regulations associated with becoming a permanent resident. You need to think very seriously about this. What will you live on? What will you do for work? What will you do for healthcare? Many folk are leaving England but many folk are realising the problems associated with having to lead their daily lives in a non-English speaking country too. If you want more help/advice, I'm happy to relate what I know to you via e-mail. To avoid breaking the forum rules, I won't post my website addy here, but if you 'Google' 'Le Chant d'Oiseau', you should find us easily enough.

HTH, and Bon Chance!

ed1

Aug 29, 2006
Visit site
Thanks for the recommendation Val, that's lovely.

Ed, we do own a small campsite here in the Loire and we're often asked if we'd take on a long-term tourer. We've often turned these away, but we're now thinking that maybe we could do it for a limited 'season', in a similar way to the scheme run by the CC in the UK. There are a few sites open year round in France, but not many. We open year round because we live here, it's our home.

There are those I've seen who buy a small plot of land and simply pitch their 'van on it. Some do this whilst building their houses, some don't seem to be building anything at all. This route though would open you up to the rules and regulations associated with becoming a permanent resident. You need to think very seriously about this. What will you live on? What will you do for work? What will you do for healthcare? Many folk are leaving England but many folk are realising the problems associated with having to lead their daily lives in a non-English speaking country too. If you want more help/advice, I'm happy to relate what I know to you via e-mail. To avoid breaking the forum rules, I won't post my website addy here, but if you 'Google' 'Le Chant d'Oiseau', you should find us easily enough.

HTH, and Bon Chance!
thankyou so much stuart....your help and advice would be very much welcome...we are just starting to look into this...my husband would probably comute to england for a while as he has his own plastering business....the decision will be taken after we have got as much info as poss...thankyou i will be in touch..edwina

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts