Petrol Vs Diesel Tow-Car

Jul 18, 2006
Visit site
I have tried looking through this forum for this topic, but no joy. It's a shame there isn't a search facilty.

Anyhow, what are the advantages/disadvantages of a petrol Vs Diesel Tow-Car

Excuse my newness to Caravanning, I am looking into starting, but drive a 1.6 Focus Estate, and always thought Petrol Cars were less suitable for towing a caravan. I tow a large trailer, but it isn't as large, or as heavy as a medium 4 berth van.

Any help gratefully received.

Jun 23, 2006
Visit site
Diesels have high low down torque that you need for towing the weight of a van. Torque rules with caravanning.

Diesel is the way to go for most !

Jul 26, 2005
Visit site
Rubix,

I think if you did a towing survey, diesel power would come out as the most popular choice - this has to do with the different way that petrol or oil burners lay down the power.

A petrol engine generally has a lower tourque figure than diesel and generates this at a higher RPM - in contrast for the same given size of engine the diesel not only develops a higher tourqe but in some cases this figure peaks below 2000 rpm.

THis characteristic is benificial for towing where "slogging" power is useful, particularly when overcoming the initial inertia of the lump on the back and maintaining progress on inlclines.

To get the same power or tourque from a petrol engine usually means means a larger engine and even then generally means that higher revs will be needed to achieve pull away and for climbing hills.

The other bonus is that diesels use less fuel and although derv is more expesive in uk they are still ahead in the economy stakes - this is particularly true with big heavey vehicles such as 4x4's which need large 3 or 5 litre petrol engines to match the diesel for tourque. Diesel definately rules here, as PC says, unless you own are well rich or use LPG.

Jul 12, 2005
Visit site
Rubix

Have you tried using the search facility? the one up top of page that says "forum search". just beside the yellow "welcome to the forums" sign

Jul 26, 2005
Visit site
Rubix,

I think if you did a towing survey, diesel power would come out as the most popular choice - this has to do with the different way that petrol or oil burners lay down the power.

A petrol engine generally has a lower tourque figure than diesel and generates this at a higher RPM - in contrast for the same given size of engine the diesel not only develops a higher tourqe but in some cases this figure peaks below 2000 rpm.

THis characteristic is benificial for towing where "slogging" power is useful, particularly when overcoming the initial inertia of the lump on the back and maintaining progress on inlclines.

To get the same power or tourque from a petrol engine usually means means a larger engine and even then generally means that higher revs will be needed to achieve pull away and for climbing hills.

The other bonus is that diesels use less fuel and although derv is more expesive in uk they are still ahead in the economy stakes - this is particularly true with big heavey vehicles such as 4x4's which need large 3 or 5 litre petrol engines to match the diesel for tourque. Diesel definately rules here, as PC says, unless you own are well rich or use LPG.
Can't spell torqe can I - never mind you know what I mean.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts