Peugeot 406 HDI (90)BHP

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site
Hi all i am looking to but a 406 to use as a tow car i have been looking at the 110bhp and the 90bhp models the 110 bhp ones seem to hold there value much better than the 90 bhp models .I have seen a really nice 90bhp model but want to know if these models are still a good tow car i know the 110 bhp models are very good is the 90 bhp powerfull enough ? help please .

Mar 23, 2008
Visit site
Hi
I had a 1999 406 110BHP HDI and it was an excellent tow car it towed my van which weighs 1400kgs no problem atol it was brilliant on the motorway always had plenty of power and the fuel economy was very good both solo and towing. I cant comment on the 90 hp because I have never towed with 1 but I can definetly recommend the 110 as it was one of the best towcars I have ever owned.
Hope this helps!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Hazar

Each car manufacture has to state the maximum braked trailer mass for each model. provided the car is maintained properly and is to specification it will tow the stated mass perfectly adequately.

Only you can decided if the degree of performance the car attains meets with your expectations.

Oct 28, 2006
Visit site
Hello Hazzar,as John says i would expect 90hp to be perfectly fine at that weight.Not to long ago we had a 90hp Citreon with the slightly earlier version of the unit fitted in your prospective vehicle,but with less torque.We pulled 1250kg with no probs at all.Obvously 110hp would be better and less of a strain.

Oct 28, 2006
Visit site
Hello Hazzar,as John says i would expect 90hp to be perfectly fine at that weight.Not to long ago we had a 90hp Citreon with the slightly earlier version of the unit fitted in your prospective vehicle,but with less torque.We pulled 1250kg with no probs at all.Obvously 110hp would be better and less of a strain.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Now lets get this straight,

Peugeot will specify a max towed mass limit for their car. Its not just a figure pulled out of a hat it is derived by a series of tests that are required as part of the type approval process for all new cars sold in the EU to determine the max towed mass limit

So provided the car is maintained to the manufactures specifications the car will pull up to what ever trailer limit Peugeot state, It will be powerful enough to cope with load under normal driving conditions. If it cant cope, then the manufacture has a problem because the car is faulty by design or specification.

So the car will be powerful enough,

However some people may want more performance, so the only way that is going to happen is to have a more powerful car. It is therefore impossible for any one who does not know you and your desires regards performance to give any assurance or guidance on what is acceptable to you - that can only be your decision.

With regards the use of third party matching and data sites such as the one Surfer has suggested, These sites are often set up with the best of intentions but they must be used with caution, because they do contain errors and omissions. The problems often occur because they don't have data for your specific model, or the data they do have is wrong. You cannot assume the data for what seems to be similar model applies to your specific model.

The only data sources to trust, are the vehicles V5 document, the data plate on the vehicle, or the relevant hand book supplied for the vehicle. In their absence, then you must refer your vehicle serial number to the manufacture or dealer for clarification.

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site
Hi thanks for the link very helpfull it is correct against my 307hdi i was very shocked to see that the 406 is not much heavier that what i have now thanks again for the help.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Prof John L said:
With regards the use of third party matching and data sites such as the one Surfer has suggested, These sites are often set up with the best of intentions but they must be used with caution, because they do contain errors and omissions. The problems often occur because they don't have data for your specific model, or the data they do have is wrong. You cannot assume the data for what seems to be similar model applies to your specific model.
The only data sources to trust, are the vehicles V5 document, the data plate on the vehicle, or the relevant hand book supplied for the vehicle. In their absence, then you must refer your vehicle serial number to the manufacture or dealer for clarification.
John please advise where you have found the information given on the site I suggested incorrect as ALL figures on that site have been taken from the manufactuerer's specifications. Secondly to verify it all you need to do is enter the details into Google and a second or third lot of figures should verify the figures on the website. Lastly if you felt energetic you could lift up the phone and phone the dealer and ask them!
Please do not condemn a site unless you can prove there are a number of inaccuracies.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I can confirm that there are some serious inaccuracies in the cuddles.abelgratis website.
For a start, kerbweight is specific to each and every car so a single figure in a chart against a particular model cannot be correct because it doesn't say what options or equipment were included. The data that many car manufacturers publish refer to a basic car without any options at all, i.e. the absolute minimum. Few, if any, cars are actually built like that.
Also, the cuddles.abelgratis website does not give details of maximum permissible gross train weight or gross vehicle weight, so the maximum towload may not apply if the car is fully laden. This is misleading.
Just one example of further incorrect information: It lists a Vauxhall Zafira Mark 2 with a 2.0DTi engine. Such a car was never built.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Lutz said:
Just one example of further incorrect information: It lists a Vauxhall Zafira Mark 2 with a 2.0DTi engine. Such a car was never built.
That is strange as a quick Google brought up loads of the above although they do not specify MKII. MKI was obviously the first model brought one and MKII the second or updated version of MKII. Maybe they meant the 1.9L. Prehaps you would be so kind as to supply a list of inaccuracies not just one example. Who bothers with gross train weight as long as the outfit you are towing does not exceed the maximum braked towing weight of the car and you don't overload the car/

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I have not taken note of all the inaccuracies I have come across in the website, but there are numerous others. The fact that I was able to find the example that I cited above within minutes of having a look at the data should make anyone suspicious that there will be more.
Who bothers with gross train weight? I hope everyone does. There is not an insignificant number of cars that cannot, without exceeding the permissible gross train weight, make full use of the maximum braked towload if they are fully laden themselves. Until recently, practically all Renaults were like that, but there are others, too.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Surfer,
I do not condemn the third party web sites outright, they can and do provide some guidance, but I point out that you cannot trust them implisitly because they do contain some errors and the only way you can determine if their figures are correct is to compare them with the manufactures provided data, by which time you can do the calculation your self and be confident in the output.
Unless the data is supplied and installed electronically without human intervention, errors will almost certainly have crept in. I cannot possible believe that the site operator has been able to convince all the manufactures to collate their model data in a common format. I know that I have found at least two errors over the years when researching answers for people on this forum.
Like Lutz, I do not keep a list of the inaccuracies I come across, but look through this forum (and others) and you will find many instances where contibutors have used these sites and found errors in the data or models completely missed.
The calculations needed to work out towing ratio, (and heaven forbid the dreaded 85% and 7%) and other leagal limits is well withing the capabilities of a driver with a calculator, so these sites are not strictly neccessary.
Also as Lutz points out, most of these sites do not carry all the relevant information, such as max towball loads, GVM and GTM MAM so they only provide part of the story anyway.
It is the drivers respnsibility to check thier outfit is road legal, it would not be a legitimate defence to claim a web site or similar service said it was ok.

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
i have to agree with john and lutz, the site in question and others such as whattowcar are very inacurate in a lot of cases, i had serious miss information regarding my seat alhambra and my ford smax from these sites, the worst one being whattowcar as most vehicles on the site are not british spec vehicles.
i would have hated to have towed my then coachman laser 590/4 at nearly 1900 kgs with the alhambra 90 bhp that whattowcar said was a reasonable match, the 130 bhp i settled on struggled up hills with the van on tow.
as john says every single vehicle is different depending on options etc fitted from new so the only way to be exactely sure is to check the v5.
unless your happy to sit in the left lane with not much in reserve to overtake i would stay away from a car with only 90 bhp my sisters citroen c8 with the hdi 90 bhp was dangerously slow up hills with a relatively small avondale dart on tow. then again i do tow much more than just my caravan so i tend to make sure i have plenty of power in reserve just in case, i drive a transit van at the moment due to renovating our retirement home in france and most transits are a relatively low 85 bhp, mine is standard at 140 bhp but it is fitted with a bluefin tuning re-map which makes it 187 bhp and just under 450 pound torque, it tows anything i put on the tow bar with ease even up the hill out of bristol on the m5.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts