Playa Joyel

Jun 14, 2008
Visit site
we went in early July this year and loved it.I put a review on here when we got back, if you search through the overseas forum you should see a couple more. Whilst there we went to a safari park ( not quite safari park but similar) and it was excellent. There is a ferry from Somo to Santander which was cheap. When the tide is out you can walk across the beach to a very pretty town (Isla), there are loads of places to visit in the surrounding areas and none far away by car. We cycled quite a bit too. We were very lucky with the weather and would definately go back.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
we went in early July this year and loved it.I put a review on here when we got back, if you search through the overseas forum you should see a couple more. Whilst there we went to a safari park ( not quite safari park but similar) and it was excellent. There is a ferry from Somo to Santander which was cheap. When the tide is out you can walk across the beach to a very pretty town (Isla), there are loads of places to visit in the surrounding areas and none far away by car. We cycled quite a bit too. We were very lucky with the weather and would definately go back.
Hi Della,

This is a reply submitted earlier by me Re:- Playa Joyel

Hi,

I fully endorse the comments made by Julie about the site as we stayed there in June on a Spanish/French holiday.We have also stayed there previously in the school holidays and can assure you that it is a totally different site.You certainly have to sharpen your elbows as the site is well used. Having said that the facilities are immaculate even in the high season. Toilet attendants dressed in white uniforms doing a fantastic job what seems like a 24 hour shift!.

We also traveled Portsmouth/Bilbao and Cost for three adults

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Della,

Hi,

I fully endorse the comments made by Julie about the site as we stayed there in June on a Spanish/French holiday.We have also stayed there previously in the school holidays and can assure you that it is a totally different site.You certainly have to sharpen your elbows as the site is well used. Having said that the facilities are immaculate even in the high season. Toilet attendants dressed in white uniforms doing a fantastic job what seems like a 24 hour shift!.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Della,

Hi,

Apr 22, 2007
Visit site
Thanks Julie and Nidge for your replies we've always gone down Costa Brava/Costa Dorada just thought we would try somewhere different. OH fancies this campsite.

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Hi Della,

we were on this site second week of august.there isn't alot of choice in this area and from what i saw playa joyel was a better choice than many.that said in no way did I or anyone else on site i spoke to believe it to be merited the way it is by cc.

The site is huge,and although clean the pitches can be very untidy,ant infested poorly screened with very large and sometimes extended families with many choosing to cover there pitches in unsitely lorry tarpaulins and build outside kitchens using inside kitchen units,presumably bought from home! and extra vehicles to create huge outside dining areas.There is an excellent play area and field.the beach is great as is the inland estuary running to the sea which is great for rock pooling and safe paddling.Noja is municipal to be polite and Isla was very pretty.Acceptable it is, clean it is,huge it is and cc five star it ain't.

The mountain area itself is pretty and rustic and the tourist aspect in terms of what there is to pay and visit is not fantastic,Santander and San sebastian are nice for a visit the later being a long drive from Playa Joyel.We did visit a "zoo" which was very very expensive and more of a petting farm than anything else

travelling into France to one of the similar sized Yelloh sites around Biaritz and Bayonne would be my choice next time .

regards

andy

G

Hi Della

We got back from Spain 3 weeks ago and we stopped at Playa Joyel for 4 nights before ferrying back from Bilbao

Its a lovely area and the beach is superb. the campsite facilities are indeed spotless, but the pitches are small and as on many Spanish sites very noisy at weekends/main holiday times, like Andrew we preferred Capbreton Camping du Lac, but in September Joyel was only busy at the weekend, its also not cheap at 27 euro per night out of season. The town was deserted and virtually closed down I guess in season and busy the beaches may get crowded.

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Della,

I am afraid I have to agree with Andrew to a point. We went a few years ago at Whitsun We did want to go to Biarritz but took the sailing to Santander rather than driving through France with two young children. Whilst we only intended to stay a few days mid-week we made the mistake of staying over the weekend before moving into France. The site at this time of the year was very much empty. The toilet block very clean as has been said. Direct access to the beach which was great for the children. The Spanish then descend upon the site on the weekend and although there were plenty of empty pitches, all seemed to flock around us! They do not eat until 10pm at night and then play until the early hours despite notices ordering silence at midnight. The site was convenient for the ferry port if you do not want to drive for long when arriving and was fine during the week at that time of year.

Apr 22, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for all your replies,perhaps we'll give this site a miss we had a problem with ants this year in Las Dunas they were everywhere even got in to our fridge.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts