Please do not try and justify dogs!

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Aug 20, 2009
Visit site
@Kelvin
I don't care if you buy it or not. Your ill-informed rant only serves to demonstrate how little you know about sheepdogs. Both mine are 11 years old and in those 11 years have NEVER been on a lead. Nor have they ever bitten anyone, made a nuisance of themselves, wandered off etc. In fact, they're both trained to the point where they will fetch a sausage back to me without eating it.
Oh and they've grown up around young kids meaning they've been poked, prodded, had fur pulled, been stepped on, tripped over and suffered countless more indignities at the hands of our offspring. Not once have they ever even so much as growled about any of it.
The only time they would turn on anyone would be if me or mine were under attack. TBH, anyone bothering me has bigger things to worry about than 2 dogs. 19 stone of a bigger thing for starters.
Oh, and it's "impose", not imposse. Something you would have spell checked if you weren't too busy trolling.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I'm not sure exactly who the hell you think you are DomDom but it's easy to be the hard man when anonymously typing on a computer keyboard.
Stop implying that forum members who don't happen to agree with you are trolls and stop advocating violence when posting on this forum.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Dom Dom
I don't know who you are but what right do you have to break rules. It's idiots like you who make life hard for the rest of us dog owners.
My two Springers are fully trained but out of respect for my fellow caravanners they remain on the lead when on site. What is wrong with that?

Fraser 600,
Are still in short trousers? You behave like a child. Hope I never meet you on site.
smiley-tongue-out.gif

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Dustydog said:
Fraser 600,
Are still in short trousers? You behave like a child. Hope I never meet you on site.
smiley-tongue-out.gif

Psst--- Dusty, edit your first line to include the word YOU, like this Are you still in short trousers?
Its just that DomDom expects perfect english, just like his perfect dogs!!!!

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Both she and I were bought up with dogs but because of our life style when we got married (both working and going away for weekends) we thought it unkind for one to be locked away during the day and shipped out at a weekend.

My grans dog was a woolly German Shepard and as daft as a brush, I’ve prodded it poked it, made it perform like a trained seal. At times she must have thought she was a horse because we regularly had show jumping in the back garden. When at my grans we took Sheba for walks but this had to stop if I was there. One day whilst out for a walk my gran stopped to talk to someone and he came too close to me and this daft as a brush dog went for him, She was just doing what this pack animal did naturally and that was protect her own.

At home we always had Shetland Sheep Dogs (middle sized), The one we had while I was in my teens was a great bird puller. Shandy went everywhere with me and was as placid as they come, the girls (look it’s lassie) used to pet him and fuss him and he never reacted but if some one raised their voice and came towards me then this pack animal did what came natural and protected me.

Now let me put a scenario forward:

My grandson is 5 and regularly comes with us in the van. We are trying to allow him some freedom (he’s never out of our sight though), he plays with a sponge ball about the size of a tennis ball by the van. Lets say it goes by the next van where the ‘fully trained daft as a brush dogs are not on a lead’ and these dogs see it as intrusion, These pack animals could then revert to what comes natural and protect. To expect them to react differently is in my opinion conceited and arrogant and “The only time they would turn on anyone would be if me or mine were under attack” backs this up.

Again let me repeat – I have nothing against dogs and nothing against taking them in a caravan but to allow them off the lead in public shows low personal esteme and poor consideration for others, therefore these are folk that I do not wish to mix with. (good god man you sound like a snob
smiley-surprised.gif
)

PS I’ve never been called a troll before……..I quite like it
smiley-cool.gif
. Pitty the same cannot be said about being called an a%^&^%^%%
smiley-smile.gif

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Parksy said:
A good basis for an old fashioned anti- dog rant with dog lovers taking the opposite view so sooner or later a classic forum bust up (or dare I say dog fight) will probably ensue
smiley-undecided.gif
Parksy's a very knowledgeable chap
4.gif

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Dustydog said:
Dom Dom
I don't know who you are but what right do you have to break rules. It's idiots like you who make life hard for the rest of us dog owners.
My two Springers are fully trained but out of respect for my fellow caravanners they remain on the lead when on site. What is wrong with that?

Fraser 600,
Are YOU still in short trousers? You behave like a child. Hope I never meet you on site.
smiley-tongue-out.gif

Aug 20, 2009
Visit site
@Parksy
I don't thing I'm "The hell" anyone. And I'm quite happy to say it to his face as well, and yours for that matter, except of course that you're both hiding behind a computer keyboard. ;)
Facts are, calling me arrogant and conceited amounts to trolling, as does posting without spell checking.
And please do tell me exactly where I advocated the use of violence? Again you seem to confused my post with his where he mentioned sticking his boot in, n'est-ce pas?
You might want to get your facts straight before trying to tell me what to do.

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
DomDom what do you expect anyone to do if an unleashed dog growls and goes to bite, whether it be 1 stone or 19? And by saying mine will not, shows little consideration for others and a limited knowledge of the animal you have living with you, I think I have shown how incorrect this assumption is!

My only question is: Why take the risk?

Please explain because I do not understand especially when you yourself have said move on, lifes too short.

Aug 20, 2009
Visit site
DD, do tell, exactly which rules am I breaking?
You're right, you don't know who I am so calling me an idiot is rather, well unwise is probably a decenct choice of word. It does leave you open to being rather publicly wrong.
I'll enlighten you a little. I live in the country, have done all my life. Father was a farmer (I'm not) and I work sheep for fun. Have had Border Collies for 46 years now and never have I ever had to put one of them on a lead. Never !! Why would I? 90% of the time they like to lie in the back of my Range Rover looking out or lie under our bed kipping. "Walkies" is not something they do, doesn't interest them. Playing with sheep or going to flyball is their thing. TBH I don't even possess a dog lead other than their slip collars - the soft rope things which I put round their necks and then they carry the loose end in their mouths. Crikey they'd look at me "gone out" if I tried to hold the ends, that's their job.
Anyway, I don't see how keeping them on a lead makes a particle of difference to anyone else, especially when they're in my car or my caravan. That's nobody's business except mine.
And no, I don't tend to walk them on site, mainly because most of the site dog walks are covered in dog dirt. I normally drive out and find some decent countryside or a beach.
Caravans and sites are purely a means to an end since I hate airliners, travelling so much with work. Hotels won't take us as you would know being a dog owner and even fewer hotels can provide safe facilities for my guns if I go on a shooting weekend. That means a caravan or motorhome, it's just a shame they come with so many BS rules.
smiley-frown.gif

Consider this DD. Some weeks ago we were on a site, dogs laid in the back of the car. We had been to the beach playing tennis ball with the dogs. So now back at the site a little girl (10 ish I suppose) came over and asked if she could play with the dog. She had seen us on the beach and thought it was fun. Within half an hour we had a crowd and that same little girl came back every day. According to her Dad in his latest email she has never stopped asking for a dog since that day. All of this could have been achieved if the dog was on a lead of course.
Your Springers....fully trained? or Gun trained? There's a world of difference. Gun dogs are working dogs and leads are simply not necessary whereas trained pets, well it depends on who trained them I suppose, and to what level. It's amazing how many people think "Sit" is where training ends. It's equally amazing how many people think it's right and fair to keep working breeds as pure domestic pets. But they'll be the Townies who are always telling me how to run my life in the country, oh and the countryside and of course, what's best for my dogs. It seems that 46 years experience without incident is nothing compared to an urbanite's H&S badge. The Country's getting more like Germany every day; way too many irrelevant rules replacing a healthy dose of common sense.
Right, want the soap box back ?? Or can I keep it a while longer
smiley-wink.gif

Dom

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Looks like me is an urbanite and not worthy of a mention and some one else’s is not as good as DomDom’s.

Lets look close up:

exactly which rules am I breaking?

Caravan Club = Please keep your dog on a lead at all
times while on site, except in designated
dog walk areas where free roaming is
permitted. Leads should be no longer
than 3 metres (10 feet).
● Keep your dog secured on your pitch
whilst you are there, with a cage (floorless
acceptable), or with a lead or tether no
longer than 3 metres (10 feet), to ensure it
cannot stray on to adjacent pitches or
inconvenience other people.

No. 3.5b is interesting

3 Keeping dogs under proper control. E+W+S
(1)If a dog is dangerously out of control in a public place—
(a)the owner; and
(b)if different, the person for the time being in charge of the dog,
is guilty of an offence, or, if the dog while so out of control injures any person, an aggravated offence, under this subsection.
(2)In proceedings for an offence under subsection (1) above against a person who is the owner of a dog but was not at the material time in charge of it, it shall be a defence for the accused to prove that the dog was at the material time in the charge of a person whom he reasonably believed to be a fit and proper person to be in charge of it.
(3)If the owner or, if different, the person for the time being in charge of a dog allows it to enter a place which is not a public place but where it is not permitted to be and while it is there—
(a)it injures any person; or
(b)there are grounds for reasonable apprehension that it will do so,
he is guilty of an offence, or, if the dog injures any person, an aggravated offence, under this subsection.
(4)A person guilty of an offence under subsection (1) or (3) above other than an aggravated offence is liable on summary conviction to imprisonment for a term not exceeding six months or a fine not exceeding level 5 on the standard scale or both; and a person guilty of an aggravated offence under either of those subsections is liable—
(a)on summary conviction, to imprisonment for a term not exceeding six months or a fine not exceeding the statutory maximum or both;
(b)on conviction on indictment, to imprisonment for a term not exceeding two years or a fine or both.
(5)It is hereby declared for the avoidance of doubt that an order under section 2 of the M1Dogs Act 1871 (order on complaint that dog is dangerous and not kept under proper control)—
(a)may be made whether or not the dog is shown to have injured any person; and
(b)may specify the measures to be taken for keeping the dog under proper control, whether by muzzling, keeping on a lead, excluding it from specified places or otherwise.
(6)If it appears to a court on a complaint under section 2 of the said Act of 1871 that the dog to which the complaint relates is a male and would be less dangerous if neutered the court may under that section make an order requiring it to be neutered.
(7)The reference in section 1(3) of the M2Dangerous Dogs Act 1989 (penalties) to failing to comply with an order under section 2 of the said Act of 1871 to keep a dog under proper control shall include a reference to failing to comply with any other order made under that section; but no order shall be made under that section by virtue of subsection (6) above where the matters complained of arose before the coming into force of that subsection.

Theres more but this will do for now.

You're right, you don't know who I am so calling me an idiot is rather, well unwise is probably a decenct choice of word. It does leave you open to being rather publicly wrong.

But I am not, but there again, do you realy want me to quote more of the ‘Dog’ Acts. When will the country realise that us townies have brains and the ability to use them!

Caravans and sites are purely a means to an end since I hate airliners, travelling so much with work. Hotels won't take us as you would know being a dog owner and even fewer hotels can provide safe facilities for my guns if I go on a shooting weekend. That means a caravan or motorhome, it's just a shame they come with so many BS rules.

It is said that rules are for fools, for the wise guidance and for the idiot to moan about because it retrict their persuit.

Can’t be bothered with all the other ‘self praise and self embodiment’ because after all they are no recommendation – but better than none at all. I sense a father complex i.e. never met expectations so compensates with ‘self praise and self embodiment. Cannot stop them by threatening physical violence so I’ll throw in the gun to see if that works – now are there any bylaws to stop the keeping of guns in a public place. Firearm (amendment) Act 1997 Pt3 regulations of firearms and ammunition

Do you want your box back because I didn’t need it.

So you carry guns on site oooooo?

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
DomDom said:
@Kelvin
I don't care if you buy it or not. Your ill-informed rant only serves to demonstrate how little you know about sheepdogs.

The only person who seems out of control in this post is lil' DomDom so somehow I don't think he's the one to warn others of ulcers or even blood pressure
smiley-wink.gif

He obviously has the worlds most best behaved dogs and if anyone disagrees with him he'll sit on them
smiley-laughing.gif
although at 19 stone he'd have to catch the person first and I wouldn't think he'd have much chance of catching my mother
smiley-undecided.gif

BTW DomDom, the motorhome left last night and I was 14 the last time someone smacked me in the head although some have tried over the ensuing years..... heh! heh! heh!
smiley-laughing.gif

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Dustydog said:
I'm in a very bad mood at the moment and in my dead fil words I think I'm not going to tolerate fools gladly.

So sorry to hear about your FIL DD. He must have suffered but at last he's now at peace. Hope you and the family are coping with his loss.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Parksy said:
I'm not sure exactly who the hell you think you are DomDom but it's easy to be the hard man when anonymously typing on a computer keyboard.
Stop implying that forum members who don't happen to agree with you are trolls and stop advocating violence when posting on this forum.

Sorry Parksy, I'd already posted a reply to the 'hard man' before I read your post
smiley-sealed.gif

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
DomDom said:
@Parksy
I don't thing I'm "The hell" anyone. And I'm quite happy to say it to his face as well, and yours for that matter, except of course that you're both hiding behind a computer keyboard. ;)
Facts are, calling me arrogant and conceited amounts to trolling, as does posting without spell checking.
And please do tell me exactly where I advocated the use of violence? Again you seem to confused my post with his where he mentioned sticking his boot in, n'est-ce pas?
You might want to get your facts straight before trying to tell me what to do.
I dont THINK I'm???
Do you prooooooof reeeeeeeeed???

Aug 20, 2009
Visit site
Kelvin, you haven't demonstrated how my assumption is incorrect. All you have demonstrated is a limited knowledge of working dogs. I, on the other hand have 46 years experience of them.
Your idea (and most town folks for that matter) of a trained dog is normally my idea of an undisciplined pack animal with no leader and one who is usually bored and permitted to be No.1 in the household. Read my reply to DD and you might begin to understand what a trained working dog actually is.
The "risk" as you put it would be significantly larger if I was to do things which are out of the ordinary or unexpected. Domestic pets see their owner as many things, sometimes even as servants (you might jest - look at those anklesnappers which are pampered more than the average new born baby). Working dogs see their owner as the pack leader, someone not to be crossed or challenged but more someone to be served and pleased. Now, if I, as pack leader, do strange unexpected things then the pack see me as being inconsistent and thus vulnerable. That is exactly the time when they might see fit to challenge me and do something unexpected.
As for my dogs growling/barking/snarling at you (or whatever you fears might be), well relax. They wouldn't even acknowledge you TBH unless I told them it was OK. They certainly wouldn't take food from you, not even fillet steak, again unless I said it was OK. You might find it hard to understand but they wouldn't even take a tennis ball from you unless I said it was OK and they both love flyball probably more than you and I love life. They are one-man working dogs. A huge part of the family, better company than most humans, loyal friends beyond any other, yes they're all of those things but first and foremost they are working dogs, something that the vast majority know nothing about.
So you ask, why take the risk? What risk? There isn't one. You're more likely to get bitten by my kids to be honest.

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
I’m now more concerned about the storage of guns on site.

So next time I am pitched next to a Coachman Olympia 640/6 and being pulled by a Range rover Vogue SE and a 19 stoner gets out with two unleashed dogs I’m off and it if the dogs want my bacon butty I’ll throw in a fry up.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
kelvin said:
Cannot stop them by threatening physical violence so I’ll throw in the gun to see if that works

It's all part of the 'hard man' psyche Kelvin.
smiley-wink.gif

DomDom does seem to have highly trained dogs though especially if they'll wait first thing in the morning to do their ablutions while their daddy carts them off to the country
smiley-laughing.gif
I just wish ours would but then again ours are mini schnauzers and only wimps choose them
smiley-cry.gif

DomDom said:
look at those anklesnappers which are pampered more than the average new born baby.

How come you have sheepdogs and not Rotties DomDom? Surely they would fit in more with your self imposed online image. Rotties would also match your avatar
smiley-laughing.gif

Aug 20, 2009
Visit site
LOL, relax, I have a Police approved gun safe both in the house and also in the car. So don't leave on my account, especially as you seem to be offering a fry up.

Aug 20, 2009
Visit site
Lord Braykewynde said:
kelvin said:
Cannot stop them by threatening physical violence so I’ll throw in the gun to see if that works

It's all part of the 'hard man' psyche Kelvin.
smiley-wink.gif

Ahem, nothing hard about guns. Backed up by the fact that most of the "hard" types you clearly refer to would be denied a FAL. And as for me, well I don't need to be hard. I never get bothered, probably because I only frequent country pubs. But the facts are that 21 years of playing rugby do tend to build a certain physique although I am losing some weight now I've taken up running instead. So I can't be that "Hard" since I retired from rugby because of all the injuries.
smiley-wink.gif

Lord Braykewynde said:
DomDom does seem to have highly trained dogs though especially if they'll wait first thing in the morning to do their ablutions while their daddy carts them off to the country
smiley-laughing.gif
I just wish ours would but then again ours are mini schnauzers and only wimps choose them
smiley-cry.gif

You bet I do. And have done all my life, some 11 dogs to date over 46 years. And yes, they do hold it until an appropriate time. BTW, there's no such thing as a wimpy dog. Those anklesnappers I referred to are quite capable of mauling a baby, and probably 1000 times more likely to since they are often allowed to be the pack leader.

Lord Braykewynde said:
How come you have sheepdogs and not Rotties DomDom? Surely they would fit in more with your self imposed online image. Rotties would also match your avatar
smiley-laughing.gif

Not quite. Rottweilers were indeed used as herding dogs and they are also highly intelligent. They were used to herd cattle though and my Father was a sheep farmer. Probably wouldn't have worked too well. The image you refer to has unfortunately been cultivated by a race called the Chav, people who have such dogs as a status symbol with little or no training, no mental stimulation despite being a working breed and no pack leader to look up to. Dangerous dog? No, dangerous owner. Same thing with some other breeds such as Staffordshire Bull Terriers, again a cattle herder originally but sadly now more of a status symbol.
The avatar is my aim in life, i.e. to become a miserable old git. Well I am a caravanner.
smiley-wink.gif

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
I think DomDom’s a fine chap and if he wants to tell the world that his car as guns stored in it then that’s fine by me. I just hope villain’s and his certificate controlling authority are not looking in, apparently it’s a 6 months mandatory sentence for the incorrect storage of guns at a dwelling, transportation is a different issue!

Sorry DomDom but my problem is you have the keys to the locks. Do you want fried bread with your breakfast.

PS I have dealt with the transportation of firearms, be it 20 years ago (from Bristol to Dudley). I was a quality control manager (chief Inspector) for an AQAP 1 company and everything had to be shot at either by hand or jig. I could tell you more but I would have to tell the authorities and I’d be arrested and you would disappear in the corner of a field. So as you know I’m not trolling the largest shot by hand was a magnum 3” BB which is illegal to even own in this country. Shooting one moves you 3’ back and 2’ up and if it isn’t in tight it hurts.

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
Oooh DomDom, well done you have really done a good job of putting off any new dog owning caravanners with your sparkling and friendly banter. I admire working dogs in all their roles especially as most of them can do a much better job than us humans. I wish my 2 Bears were so well behaved as your sheepdogs but then I wish some people were as cute and cuddly as The Bears.As you have pointed out they are all animals and as such prone to being unpredictable and man would be very foolish to forget that.Is is just a coincidence that you have chosen Victor Meldrew for your ID, is he your role model? I bet you are having a good old chuckle about us all but it is good to laugh. You are absotively and positutley correct in your assumptions regarding some dogs being treated like babies and I admit I am a sinner in this regard.I am a stereotypical neurotic, dried up old harridan, suffering with empty nest syndrome but then I am only human after all and worse still female. Good on you and carry on your good work ,be careful with that gun and please do not shoot anything that cannot shoot back because that is not good form you know. We do have things in common being caravan owners and dog lovers so there!!! I will still be nice to you in spite of yourself.xxxxxx
Thursdays Child

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts