PLEASE HELP US CHOOSE A FAMILY VAN

Oct 9, 2006
Visit site
We are a family of 4 with children aged 6 and 1. We have looked at a new Ace Courier 6 berth which seems excellent value at 12K, but we know next to nothing about caravans.

Please help us. Can you advise us if Ace caravans are any good? Also are vans with fixed beds practical for family's, would we miss the extra space?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
David, I don't know the exact layout of the caravan you are thinking of, so I cannot comment on its suitability. However, the usual drawback of fixed bed vans for families, or at least for those with younger children, seems to be that once the children are in bed, in beds made up from the seats, there is nowhere left for the adults to sit and relax. This may not be a problem in warmer weather, when you will probably be happy to sit outside, or in the awning, but outside of the summer months, you might well find you are forced to take to that lovely fixed double much earlier in the evening than you would like, simply because there is nowhere left to sit!

It is largely for this reason that we have continued to prefer the double dinette arrangement, which still seems to offer greater flexibility, if not quite the same level of comfort as can be found with a fixed bed. We normally caravan as a couple, but sometimes take our grandchildren, or lend the 'van to our children and their families, and the layout that served us so well when we had a young family still seems to best meet our needs today.

Feb 15, 2006
Visit site
i have an avondale dart 556/6 godiva special. its a 6 berth with fixed bunks at back side dinette which can turn into bunks or use as another sofa and a really small, sink, toilet and shower. it was new oct 05 we have used it alot but i wish we had bought a fixed bed. our 12 year old wont sleep on the top bunk cos it curves the bathroom is so tiny and there is no litchen space and the fridge is very small.

fleetwood have bought out a 6 berth fixed bed in the sonata range about

Jun 16, 2006
Visit site
David. would avoid fixed bed as flexibility and space is the key.Have a 3 and 4 year old which have fixed bunks in a 4 berth and are very happy with it. I think you are right to look at 6 berths as we bought an entry level caravan last year (sprite musketeer which is fine)and are looking to replace with a 6 berth in the next year or so.Have done a lot of background research and critiqued what we currently have, and the ideal layout we think is one that you will find in a swift charisma 590 and lots of others as well. Washroom is at the back and big so you can change in it when you need all curtains open in the rest of van to keep eye on kids! (buy 2 aquarolls/water hogs and the privacy of ones own bathroom without marching the kids over to the blocks is worth it! Also end bathroom means there is more space and more percieved open space in main body of van.

If manufacturers could just cut down the size of the front bed (46 foot wide bed have never been a must for and house!) and take a couple of foot to add a bigger fridge and more kitchen surface space then we would already have changed

hope this is useful, but do direct any other specific questions if you need

D

May 16, 2006
Visit site
We are a family of four (2 kids, aged 7 and 3). We own a Sprite Major 6 which we bought new in June. We absolutely love it, and the layout works brilliantly for us. The kids sleep in the fixed bunks at the back of the van, leaving us the whole of the rest of the van to mooch about in while they're asleep, without disturbing them. In the daytime there's no hassle of packing up their beds, so they can use them as dens if they want to chill out. The side dinette makes a great play area while mum and dad relax in the lounge area. We haven't had any problems with the van so far (touch wood!), and we find the design of the lockers and upholstery very light and airy. We're about to go away in it again for a weekend, as we haven't really had a proper go with the heating yet! Would recommend this van to anyone with children, we will go for the fixed bed when the kids no longer want to come with us.

Aug 8, 2006
Visit site
We have 2 children - aged 5 and 3. We are very restricted by weight as we don't want to change our car (Renault Grand Scenic). Originally we wanted the Bailey Ranger 500/5 as it has a separate "bedroom" for the children at the back. However, we needed something lighter so have gone for the Ranger 470/4 which is about 80Kg lighter. I've seen several posts from owners of these with young children who are very happy. It's not quite as spacious, but looks really well appointed and has a huge end bathroom with separate shower, which I think is essential for the little 'uns.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts