plymouth - Roscoff

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi

Has anyone done the plymouth to roscoff route with brittany ferries, we are going to southern brittany this year and although we have booked the channel tunnel we are thinking of changing it to the ferry.

Just wondering what the crossing is like.

thanks

Apr 22, 2006
Visit site
Gill this crossing is okay but for me the journey out is a funny one time wise.

It really is not worth while getting a cabin but you know your day is drifting away from you.

Coming back is fine and it just lasted long enough for me to get a decent sleep for the onward journey.

By the way on your return unlike Calais Roscoff is a town with a certain amount of charm and some good restaurants.

Aug 20, 2006
Visit site
Hi

We are doing this crossing this year. We have done this one many times and for us we enjoy the crossing. This year they are launching a brand new ship in the spring called Amorique which we will be going out on and will be coming back on the Pont Aven which is the big one that they sail to Spain and for us we feel it is all part of the holiday. We will be sailing ealy morning both ways and both ports are ideal for staying overnight if you wish.

Happy Hols

JTS

Jan 16, 2007
Visit site
Gill C and Slowcoach.

I am afraid that slowcoach is out of touch with the Plymouth/Roscoff route. I have used this route since moving to the Southwest, some times twice a year, for the past 20 years.

From this spring the whole timetable is to change. This is to coincide with the launch of Brittany Ferries new luxury ferry the "Armorique" which has been earmarked to be dedicated to the Plymouth/Roscoff route.To Roscoff there are only a couple of daytime sailings per week, premium rates, the rest are night sailings. The great thing about the night sailings is, sail at 2200hrs and dock at local time 0800hrs,9 hours. A good nights sleep on a new luxury ferry. You do not have a long drive to your site and you can be in the middle of the Vendee by lunchtime.

Fortunately for us, our return ferry that we always use is still in the timetable. We stay overnight in St Pol de Leon, do our shopping -wine etc- there are two campsites there, and catch the 0915hrs Sunday sailing, the only day in the week this ferry sails, and we are home early afternoon.This return sailing is on the Brittany Ferries flagship "Pont Aven" the largest ferry in service. Just Google "Brittany Ferries" and you can download timetables and watch a video of the "Armorique". Hope this helps, if not come back.

Good luck. JTS.

Oct 27, 2005
Visit site
Hi Gill, we are returning to Southern Brittany in Aug after going last year. We live in Cornwall so Plymouth is very convenient for us as we don't want a long drive with three young children. Anyhow we have done a night crossing and a 4.30pm crossing and this year we are doing night crossings both ways as it is easier with the children. The journey from Roscoff is really easy and we went to La Trinite Sur mer and it was 2 and a half hours. Also on the night crossing you get in to Roscoff at 7am and arrive on the site in good time. The crossing this year is

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Gill,

We did the Pymouth Roscoff route for the first time last year and found the whole experience excellent. That good in fact that we will be doing it again this year (back to Du Letty in Benodet). Last year we went out on a lunch time sailing and returned on an overnight sailing. The outward journey was on the Pont Aven which enabled me and my daughter to take advantage of the indoor swimming pool! This year we are doing both legs as overnight sailings as this removes the need for an overnight stop on the outward leg. One tip I would advise is too book online as this gives you the flexibility to change sailings without incurring admin charges.

Andy

Aug 20, 2006
Visit site
Hi Gill

Just out of interest there will be four of us(2 adults and 2 girls) we tend to book a 2 berth inside cabin on the day crossings and it only costs

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Gill,

When we travelled out we just used the free seating as there was plenty to use and we spent most of the sail mooching about and using the swimming pool. This was on the Pont Aven which is very spacious. That said it was before the school holidays started. For the overnight sail we had a cabin.

Andy

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for all your replies, but it doesn't look as though i can get a refund on my shuttle tickets or can i tranfer them to somone else. So i guess i'll have to plan the ferry for next year.

thanks

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for your replies, have booked the plymouth to roscoff ferry for august and it looks as though we are on the new ship going out and coming back - can't wait

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Plymouth-Roscoff ferry - Brilliant. Sailed on this ferry few times and cannot fault it. I would not however recommend the reclining seats if returning at night - so much noise it is almost impossible to sleep - we ended up sleeping on the floor. Far better to either stay in lounge and lay out on the settee type seating or book a cabin. We looked upon the ferry as part of the holiday - there was children's entertainers on board to keep the children amused. We were staying in Benodet and the road from Roscoff was brilliant - all in all we had a fantastic time - just hope you enjoy yourselves as much as we did. Good luck.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
thanks colin, we are booked on the 8.00am ferry going out and have booked a cabin as we will be leaving west wales early hours of the morning so might need a sleep. for the return we are on the 4.30pm so haven't booked seats or a cabins - should be ok on normal seats.

We are also staying in Benodet, how long did it take you to get from the ferry to benodet and what site did you stay on.

thanks

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Colin and Gill,

We too are going to Benodet again! We are stopping at Camping Du Letty which we thought was brilliant last year. When are you both going? We are there for the 2nd and 3rd week of July.

Gill, journey time for us was just over 2 hours. Let me know if you would like the route we took.

Regards

Andy

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Andy

We are staying at Yelloh Village - Port De Plaisance from 24th july to 7th Aug.

Much appreciate it if you would forward the route you took.

thanks

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
Hi,

We have done this crossing a couple of times and have stayed at Pointe St Gilles in Benodet and Camping de la Piscine at Beg Meil. It took us around 2 hours with our trailer tent. Left Roscoff on D58 to join D69 (care needed or you can miss this turn) towards Landivisiau, then Sizun. Joined N165 at le Faou and followed until we got to Coat-Conq,(junction for Concarneau) then followed signs to Fouesnant / Benodet on D44. We came back to N165 via D34 to Quimper ring road which was Ok out of rush hour.

We're just looking at going back to Beg Meil this summer, will be our first ferry trip with a caravan.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Gill,

This is the route that was recommended to us last year and we found it dead easy. It was our first time towing on the continent as well so it must have been good.

Here goes :-

Leave Roscoff on the D58 and follow this road towards Morlaix. On the outskirts of Morlaix T.R. onto the N12 (E50) towards Brest. In less than 1.5 miles leave the N12 at Sainte-Seve and turn onto the D785. This road is quite a scenic road and takes you through Playber-Christ, Brasparts and Playben. Just after Playben T.R. onto the N164 (probably signposted Brest and Quimper). In about 3 miles T.L. onto the E60 (N165) and head south towards Quimper. Exit the E60 onto the D170 start to make your way around Quimper. (This route isn't as bad as it seems as the roads are mainly dual carriageway with roundabout junctions).

B.L. off the D170 onto the D783 and then eventually onto the D783A. by now you will have picked up signs for Benodet. Follow the D783 and D783A till you come to the D34 (Route De Benodet). This will take you straight into Benodet. If I remember correctly your site is on the L.H.S. just as you enter Benodet.

If you don't fancy the Quimper section then stay on the E60 till you come to the junction with the D70 (this will probably be signposted Concarneau) T.R.off the D70 onto the D44 and head towards Fouesnant and then Benodet on the D44.

I hope this all makes sense. If you have Autoroute I could send you the route as an .axe file if you like.

If you would like anymore info about Benodet please ask. It brings the holiday back to life again :))

Cheers

Andy

Aug 30, 2006
Visit site
LO Jill C.

"Why, when you live so close to a ferry port, do you drive so far to use the tunnel", they all ask.?

"Because we can spend the 35 minutes of peace and calm enjoying a picnic in the car prior to driving straight on to the French roads within minutes of arrival", we reply.

"Oh yes, and there's this. We once had a crossing which still keeps my wife awake at night.!"

Whatever you do, don't look at these video clip's two of which involve British ferries but you mutn't look at them.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=M2CI918M1Es&feature=related
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZN_rnT68sM
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=0JW_kKP7alw

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Olivier, hmmm thanks for that. the reason we have taken the train before is that we use our tesco vouchers, but this time have decided to go for the ferry.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Gill,

Benodet has a nice promenade with a number of sea front restaurants. We found the best restaurants are round near the marina and where you catch the boat up the river to Quimper. During the summer there are frequent free concerts held on the sea front which are good to go and watch. I'm not sure if you have any children but there are two childrens clubs on the beach. Our daughter loved the Mickey Club! Locals use them as a creche but we stayed with ours. The beach is good for swimming as it is quite protected from the offshore weather and water sports are available (roped off from swimming areas). There is a great ice cream parlour next to the cinema.

Parking is limited on the front but you are well within walking distance. You also have a Champion supermarket almost next door.

I'll post more as I think back if you like.

Cheers

Andy

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Gill c

Benodet has a good beach and is a pleasant town.

Beg Meil is a nice village with a vast stretch of sand backed by a nature reserve. It also has some idilic little coves if you can find them.

Quimper is a great old town with a walled centre touristy by nice. Can get very busy.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts