Plywood delamination repair advice - teardrop caravan

Aug 1, 2023
Visit site
Hello all,

I recently bought a wood/alu teardrop caravan in early summer and have recently discovered a fairly significant water ingress problem (revealed by the latterly dank conditions of the UK 'summer'). My intent is to repair and seal this issue, and am looking for some advice from the good folk of this learned forum as to how to achieve this please.

The issue is (presumably) ingress into the plywood walls of the caravan. This appears to be occurring in the exposed gap where the kitchen roof hinge shuts, and is travelling through the ply into the living area of van itself. The images below show the problem well:

1) Kitchen roof open showing the RHS seal where the roof meets the sidewall.
IMG_4052.jpg

2) Close-up of the roof seal. To the right of the rubber seal is exposed plywood (painted black) with clear swelling of the ply underneath the varnished wooden cap. Being exposed, water is soaking into the ply, which is causing clear delamination (see photo 4).
IMG_4048.jpg

3) Additional view of the swollen, delaminated ply.
IMG_4047.jpg

4) Alternative view of the plywood wall of the caravan on the same side as the water ingress at the seal. You can see the deformation of the ply where it has delaminated down its length.
IMG_4050.jpg

My intent is to make the delaminated ply good (epoxy resin is the current thinking) and then to seal the sides where the ingress is occurring (I'm not above taping at this point if it saves the side). Ideas as to how to achieve both of these aims, as well as any and all insight will be gratefully received with sincere thanks.

Chassis - steel trailer
Base - marine ply
Frame - aluminium
Slides - plywood painted in 2-pac paint

Thanks for taking the time to share in my problem.

-Fraser

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Fraser

Welcome to the forum

I have never seen a teardrop close up, so I wasn't familiar with the construction. I expect the are differences between the various makes, and of course some will be own built by their owners from their own plans.

I hope the construction used marine ply, and there in is a clue to the most likely source of appropriate information. Essentially this is more akin to boating, and I would have thought that marine paints or varnish and technique's would be a likely solution.

Reactions: Jcloughie
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Welcome to the forum Fraser.
I haven’t seen one of your teardrops in the flesh. But I wonder if the ply wall construction is similar to our caravan floors?
If it is then maybe one of these floor delamination kits could be your solution?

Sep 26, 2018
Visit site
As a boat owner of many years standing, that play is probably exterior grade ply. The ONLY solution is to cut out the section way beyond the damage, you need to replace with genuine BS1088 from someone like Robbins of Bristol... The issue is that proper BS1088 (rather than imitation is very expensive. Two 8' x 4' 18mm sheets cost me nearly £1000 in 2009

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the forum Fraser
Like what some else says never seen a Tear drop so close up sorry i cannot help but plenty of members will give you the answers you are looking for keep posting

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
You cannot "re-laminate" delaminated plywood. Replacement is the ONLY option.

Sadly I think you have just discovered why the previous owner sold it!

In addition, from the pictures, your teardrop appears to be made of OSB (opposing strand board) which many refer to as "kipper crate" and not plywood. Also the location of the seals clearly (to my eye) shows that they could never prevent water ingress into the top edge of the side panels, both of which would suggest to me that its a home build not a commercial build.

Good luck with your repair.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I thought where the adhesive between the ply’s had failed it is possible to re glue with epoxy? Granted no go if it’s rotten

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
I thought where the adhesive between the ply’s had failed it is possible to re glue with epoxy? Granted no go if it’s rotten

How do you propose compressing the entire area together to form a single solid unit?
It's possible for realtivly small areas, but larger ones woukd need a huge press.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts