Pnumatic jockey wheel tyre

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
My bailey has the hard plastic jockey wheel, I’d mentioned to my better half that I needed to get a new tyre and she bought me for Xmas a pneumatic tyre, I didn’t have the bottle to tell her it was the wrong type and I actually wanted the solid rubber type, so the big question is how effective are the tyre gunks normally used for punctures, I hadn’t thought of using it but what’s the thoughts of people of shooting that in to my new tyre before I fit it on the caravan?

BP

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
My bailey has the hard plastic jockey wheel, I’d mentioned to my better half that I needed to get a new tyre and she bought me for Xmas a pneumatic tyre, I didn’t have the bottle to tell her it was the wrong type and I actually wanted the solid rubber type, so the big question is how effective are the tyre gunks normally used for punctures, I hadn’t thought of using it but what’s the thoughts of people of shooting that in to my new tyre before I fit it on the caravan?

BP
It depends on the type of puncture. I’ve used that type of sealant on bike tyres and it is excellent in sealing sharp pin type punctures. It won’t stop a cut puncture. A bit like tyre sealant for car tyres is best against a nail when the nail is still there.

One problem with pneumatic jockey wheels has been mentioned previously. They can be adversely affected by non rotational scrub forces which causes a leak at the bead. Then you are sometime stuck as without a good air supply rate and pressure it’s neigh on impossible to get the bead seated against the rim.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site

BP

Assuming you got the whole wheel and not just the tyre, Look at this earlier post from GD4885. You could perhaps message him for more info. My guess is he used a lot.

If it’s no good, you will still have the old wheel.

I use a pneumatic jockey wheel as it rolls better than the solid types, but do agree punctures are major reason for sticking with the solid versions.
To minimise the dreaded puncture problem I used some "Stan's no tubes" sealer. This stuff was developed for mountain bikes to make tyres tubeless and the sealer works well on jockey wheels. It helps with sealing the tyre to the rim as well.
I sure there is other sealers available.

John

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Prof,
I appreciate your sentiments . As you may know / indicate, the OEM jockey wheels are non pneumatic. The aftermarket pneumatic tyres are basically a puncture waiting to happen. The real problem for us guys is we cannot afford to have a punctured jockey wheel whilst moving into a pitch if others are awaiting our manoeuvre. weights or not , their failure rate amongst caravanners is appalling. Even I have tried them and they are a disaster. The solid wide tyre /wheel as described by others is imo the best way to go.
I came to the same conclusion a long time ago, somewhat before the puncture proof versions were available. But the point is no one should have fitted a pneumatic version in the first place if the caravans permitted nose load exceeded the tyres rating. In practice becasue of the location of the JW on the "A" frame, it will actually see a greater load than the actual nose load, so in reality I'd guess it will be up to about 120% of nose load when the JW is pointing backwards.

Reactions: Dustydog
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
So getting to the Nitty Gritty, "sorry not PC" are the solid rubber, that look like inflatable ones , any good, say for a nose weight of 100 kg (+ or - 5 kg) no scales involved.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
So getting to the Nitty Gritty, "sorry not PC" are the solid rubber, that look like inflatable ones , any good, say for a nose weight of 100 kg (+ or - 5 kg) no scales involved.

They are brilliant. All the benefits of pneumatic with none of the problems. 100 kg, is easy, but the very large vans with 150 kg will struggle. I have seen them rated at 120 or130, (can’t remember). I think they would be OK, but it’s a risk.

John

Reactions: Hutch
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
They are brilliant. All the benefits of pneumatic with none of the problems. 100 kg, is easy, but the very large vans with 150 kg will struggle. I have seen them rated at 120 or130, (can’t remember). I think they would be OK, but it’s a risk.

John
I know, I dont really " Need one " but I know I "Should " have one. A caravanners way of thinking.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site

John
I have not been able to source one that is rated about 120kg however our solid tyre that came standard with the caravan has a hard rubber tyre. The issue is that because it is solid and narrow if you are not careful it can dig into soft soil. If there is one rated at 120kg I may take a chance and see how we get on.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
T
I have not been able to source one that is rated about 120kg however our solid tyre that came standard with the caravan has a hard rubber tyre. The issue is that because it is solid and narrow if you are not careful it can dig into soft soil. If there is one rated at 120kg I may take a chance and see how we get on.

This one says it’s 136kg.

1617955693203.jpeg

And this one is 200kg (but will it react like a pneumatic)? (Can’t see any bearing)!

1617955911334.jpeg

In all cases it’s important to make sure they fit in the yoke and the axel diameter and length are OK, and does it have good bearings. Bit of a minefield.

John

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Currently we have one similar to the bottom picture and find that it tends to dig in on soft ground especially if turning the caravan. The top one may be more suited. Do you have a link for it? Thanks.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
I've just ordered solid wheel to replace the cheapo plastic one fitted as standard and which doesn't do well over our gravel driveway.

It's from Kartt. The difficulty I had was finding one of the right dimensions and this one seems to match the current plastic one in terms of width and axle dia/length. It may just be about 10mm bigger in diameter but should fit ok.

The specs for the complete jockey wheel assembly - I've only ordered the wheel - claim to be rated at 250Kg but I only need 75Kg.

I intend to do a before and after video so I'll let you know although there are various comparisons on Youtube already.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
A 10 mm increase in diameter would have made it heavily scrape our “ rise” in our last house with a Superb estate. Even the oem one was bad, with 10 mm extra I would have had to do something different to remove the risk of grounding. I even had to fit MAD spring assisters to prevent grounding on local speed humps.
But I don’t plan on refreshing the debate on spring assisters. Shudder the thought. 🤭

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
The specs for the complete jockey wheel assembly - I've only ordered the wheel - claim to be rated at 250Kg but I only need 75Kg.

I think the 75kg is a nominal figure and what your van and/or car are stated as the correct or max figure for loading. But when dynamic forces take affect with movement this will grow and the 250kg will be needed.

John

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Duh! Just realised it was a pneumatic tyre and not a foam tyre.

My fault Ian, I had searched for puncture proof tyres and it brought that up. I should learn that searches in Amazon are very ‘loose’ and find all sorts of strange unrelated things.

I will slap my wrists and try again.

John

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts