Point of Law - One for the Prof.

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
May 24, 2014
Visit site
Code:
My feeling is that the caravan was originally supplied with the brackets missing and the selling dealer and the first owner missed this although I doubt that is relevant.
	I suggest that in the first place you should go is back to the dealer and see if they will help. If not and you are a member of either club you could try their legal helpline but on balance I think unless the dealer helps you are stuck with the situation.

Your a bit late with this Ray. The dealer admitted they removed the brackets and have sent them to me. Indeed I have just this minute come in from fitting them. As for the "legal" situation. I had a verbal agreement with them that the jack was either present or would be supplied, same with spare wheel, wheel brace, pump umbilical, outdoor shower, leg winder and all the other stuff you would expect, sans hookup cable. My contention was that if they supplied the jack, which they did, it should be in working order and fit for purpose.

As Prof quite rightly pointed out, on the Alko shop website, you cannot buy the jack without the brackets, you can buy the brackets seperately. I contend M'Lud that the jack is therefore incomplete sans brackets, a point that thankfully the dealer agreed with.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Thingy said:
Code:
My feeling is that the caravan was originally supplied with the brackets missing and the selling dealer and the first owner missed this although I doubt that is relevant.
	I suggest that in the first place you should go is back to the dealer and see if they will help. If not and you are a member of either club you could try their legal helpline but on balance I think unless the dealer helps you are stuck with the situation.

Your a bit late with this Ray. The dealer admitted they removed the brackets and have sent them to me. Indeed I have just this minute come in from fitting them. As for the "legal" situation. I had a verbal agreement with them that the jack was either present or would be supplied, same with spare wheel, wheel brace, pump umbilical, outdoor shower, leg winder and all the other stuff you would expect, sans hookup cable. My contention was that if they supplied the jack, which they did, it should be in working order and fit for purpose.

As Prof quite rightly pointed out, on the Alko shop website, you cannot buy the jack without the brackets, you can buy the brackets seperately. I contend M'Lud that the jack is therefore incomplete sans brackets, a point that thankfully the dealer agreed with.

Seems to me that when you raised it with your dealer they did the right thing. I have had to resort to the Consumer Rights Act (CRA) and it’s predecessor legislation but only when I met a stonewall from the companies that sold me unsatisfactory products or services, and I’ve had 100% success. But my preferred approach is always to try and talk the issue through. It’s less hassle.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I do see that my thoughts were a bit late now. It was an interesting issue and being a bit short of time I did put down my immediate thoughts without checking the second page.
Good to see the issue has been resolved though.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
If we had a puncture we would simply call Mayday to change the tyre. They would have a jack that would lift the axle so no need for the ALKO side jack however we are lucky that we do not need a jack to lift the caravan to have the wheel changed.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Two years ago, whilst on crutches, we waited two hours on the side of an Austrian motorway for a breakdown (RAC Int) service that never turned up. Being a Shogun, the tyre is a proper job to dismount change and remount, the car has a bottle jack. Having rung to find out where in hell they were and being told they hadnt yet set off, I changed the tyre myself. Not an easy job on crutches as you can imagine. Dont intend to be caught out again.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Thingy said:
Two years ago, whilst on crutches, we waited two hours on the side of an Austrian motorway for a breakdown (RAC Int) service that never turned up. Being a Shogun, the tyre is a proper job to dismount change and remount, the car has a bottle jack. Having rung to find out where in hell they were and being told they hadnt yet set off, I changed the tyre myself. Not an easy job on crutches as you can imagine. Dont intend to be caught out again.

Unfortunately there is no way that either of us would be able to change the tyre on the Shogun. Where you using Red Pennant for continental breakdown cover? Last year when we needed them the breakdown person arrived promptly to change the caravan wheel.
Blasted air con in Shogun is not working due to a pipe that has corroded and temperatures are in excess of 25C!

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Buckman said:
If we had a puncture we would simply call Mayday to change the tyre. They would have a jack that would lift the axle so no need for the ALKO side jack however we are lucky that we do not need a jack to lift the caravan to have the wheel changed.

Why is that, do you have a sky hook ?

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Not red pennant, just the standard RAC international. There was a long story in this but I wont go into it again for hance of boring the other members.

It was a September though and had a full blow out, tyre totally shredded. With spare finally on I got into Salzburg and tried to get a replacement. Everywhere I went just said no. Eventually at a massive Mitsubishi dealership, they told me why. It was because it was Sept and they can only sell snow tyres from 1 Sept onwards. Explaining that my tyres were mud and snow was pointless.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
Buckman said:

Why is that, do you have a sky hook ?

Our caravan has self levelling fitted so no need for any jack.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts