Poitou-Charentes Site Please

Apr 23, 2007
Visit site
Hello

I'm planning a trip to France in August. Err, it'll only be my second time out with a 'van. First one was a doddle, so here goes.

I'm going to go down the left side of france first (free motorways), then the pyrenees, El Delfin Verde in Spain and then back up through France staying somewhere in the middle for 4 nights.

Ok, first things first. I'm looking for an all singing all dancing site around the Pouitou-Charentes region. I've been here many times with Haven at the La Palmyre site I think. Actually I haven't even checked if we could go back here with a tourer.

Does anybody have any ideas for a site I could stay at for 4 or 5 nights around this area.

If anybody is unsure, its between La Rochelle and Royan.

I need a pool, slides, on-site bar/restaurant, good sanitation facilities, etc.

I will post further as my planning progresses.

Hey, maybe a blog....????

Many thanks

Ian

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
We've been to Bon Anse Plage at La Palmyre with our own children and now with my sister and her girls. Great pool with slides and all you want on site including bakery. Foot/Cycle path to La Palmyre runs past the site. Regular turnover of Caravans gives vacancies most days and we have never needed to book in more recent times.

Palmyr Wind is Daves favourite shop if I dare let him loose.

Apr 23, 2007
Visit site
Thanks SS

I've stayed over the road from here and yes it looks ok.

Tried finding it on the net and I can't find their own website. Siblu (Haven) are quoting it as their new site for 2008 so they may own it now, and I assume that makes it expensive.

Sandy I couldn't just turn up at a campsite yet without a booking. I would not be able to relax at all. Maybe when I'm more experienced.

Does anybody know if this site has a website or is it now Haven owned?

Thanks

Apr 23, 2007
Visit site
Thanks Iain

As its now owned by Siblu, I assume I can only book through them. Just priced 4 nights on site in August and its coming up as nearly

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
It must be three or four years ago since our last visit there, that is a shame as it was a nice French family that owned the site and one of the husbands was English.

It was on the cards for July but not any more. Sis and I are not Haven or Haven Entertainment style people.

Jan 7, 2007
Visit site
Hi Ian

We know the area very well from static caravanning holidays, but having bought our first tourer late last year, we're off to the same region and staying here http://www.camping-oree-du-bois.fr/

Good reviews and just down the road from Les Charmettes.

Apr 23, 2007
Visit site
Managed to get on Bonne Anse Plage in the end. Phoned the site direct and an english girl called Clare quoted me half what SIBLU wanted. So, happy with that.

Now....Can't get a reasonable overnight ferry crossing on the western channel. Coming up at silly money. Too much. Quotes are more than its costing me for Zeebrugge to Hull on the way back. So, I am going for a cheap crossing from Dover which means I have 500 ish miles to get to Royan area.

I now have to decide whether to stay on an overnight site (but won't get to France till about 10pm) or stay on services to get 5-6 hours sleep.

Actually, going off topic, will post a new thread.

G

The Norfolk Line ferries are quite new, Samsung Shipping built with lounges with big Plasma Samsung TV's showing major sporting events if anything is on.

I going to Bordeaux on Monday via Le Touquet for brief lunch stop as I'm travelling with elderly Australian relatives. Norfolk line crosssing and Rouen route. It's a breeze of a drive with a caravan and a doddle without, the new A28 from Rouen down to Le Mans is mainly very quiet compared to UK roads if you pay tolls or the old road past Bernay and Alencon is a nice route with a few roundabouts to break up the journey.

Autoroute for me, rolling smooth road and rolling countryside.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts