Pop up campsites

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The basic cost of these is a problem that puts the price up. The clubs have to find and get permission for these short term sites, which gives them an upfront cost not encountered to the same extent by permanent sites. Once you have this you have to bring in the temporary power supply and get it removed later and find the people to run it, and again this costs more and has to be recovered over a fairly short time scale.
What you have is a site that costs far more to run per pitch than the normal sites, but can work in areas of high demand in the high season. It will still be cheaper to visit than many commercial sites at that time, but with less facilities but meets a short term demand, it is not a rip of but simply a reflection of the costs of providing that service. If you are not prepared to pay for the site then you do not have to go. It is on offer but it is up to you where you go.

They also need to pay the land owner for usage of their land. I am not sure about it being cheaper than many commercial sites with more facilities in the same vicinity and even the CAMC site in New Forest as it seems the pop ups are available before the high season, but also in the high season.
The other one starts before the high season and goes into the high season, but I am not familiar with that area.
We would only use CLs in high season or adult only sites. Some adult only sites have the same price all year round.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
That is very true especially when it comes to booking a long stay on a CAMC site. Invariably either the Friday or Saturday are fully booked. This means that if booking for a week Sunday to Sunday you need to book until the either the Friday or Saturday. If it is the Friday that is booked then book the Saturday and hope that eventually the Friday will become free. Simply easier to book a commercial site nearby and pay a small deposit.

All could change when the tranche of freebie bookings works out of the system.;)

Reactions: Buckman
Aug 24, 2021
Visit site
EHU is supplied, but as stated price is a rip off, but they get away with it!
Unfortunately there are enough post pandemic staycationers with no real experience who think that's a normal price to pay.
It seems to me that the ' club' in question are attempting to push the market.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Unfortunately there are enough post pandemic staycationers with no real experience who think that's a normal price to pay.
It seems to me that the ' club' in question are attempting to push the market.
The thread is nearly two years old so not sure why it got resurrected by a newbie? Things may have changed since the thread was started. (y)

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The thread is nearly two years old so not sure why it got resurrected by a newbie? Things may have changed since the thread was started. (y)
Just check the link and it will show the status of the newbie, and the outdoor guide. But it does contain useful information not specific to caravan usage but outdoor activities

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Not sure if this s still an issue, but the idea that the clubs try to rip people off is not true. The overheads for these are what puts the costs up including having to bring in and run generators, run electrics round a site and have toilets and waste disposal for the short time they run. Given they are generally heavily booked, they do provide a service at a level some people are happy with. I think you will find they attendees are seasoned campers and not new comers. Basically if t suits you then fine, if not you have a choice.

Reactions: ProfJohnL

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts