portable heaters winner in jan 2015 magazine

Dec 7, 2014
Visit site
in portable heater looked up the winner on sealey web site u say it cost £28 on web site it actually £51 inc vat could u please inform us of where we can purchase for £28 please (sealey cd2013tt ) look forward to ur reply

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
mike2327 said:
in portable heater looked up the winner on sealey web site u say it cost £28 on web site it actually £51 inc vat could u please inform us of where we can purchase for £28 please (sealey cd2013tt ) look forward to ur reply

Welcome to the forum Mike.
I don't know whether the editorial staff will reply or not, but your post would be much easier to read and understand if it wasn't written in txt spk.

Dec 7, 2014
Visit site
Thank you Bedford George I also think this is a reasonable question to ask. I really don't think it matters how the post is written. Have some of the members on here nothing better to do than be sarcastic towards someone because of the way they write. I thought I was doing right by asking on this forum obviously I was wrong.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
mike2327 said:
Thank you Bedford George I also think this is a reasonable question to ask. I really don't think it matters how the post is written. Have some of the members on here nothing better to do than be sarcastic towards someone because of the way they write. I thought I was doing right by asking on this forum obviously I was wrong.

The question was and is reasonable.
Whilst you may not think it matters how a post is written, it does matter and typing in text speak is highly inconsiderate and totally unnecessary.
Whilst perfect written English is not mandatory, understandable English IS, and text speak is NOT.

I note that you latest reply is in "normal" English, so why the rubbish in the first post???????
If that had been written as per your latest reply you would not be complaining about people being sarcastic.

THINK before posting.

Thank you

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Hi all and sorry for the slow reply – I had a day off.

You won't be surprised to hear that we've heard a lot about this in the office. The following is going in the magazine:

"Apologies to anybody trying to order the winning Sealey heater from January's Test Bench. The price was sourced from online Sealey dealer www.tool-net.co.uk, but gremlins somehow crept in and converted the actual price of £38.53 into the £27.58 shown on the page. However we can confirm that, at £38.58, we still consider the unit to be the winner of the test. But only just. Kobe's KBE-828-0130 (available from www.cromwell.co.uk) costs only £1.01 more and has an almost identical specification in terms of output and features. Note, too, that Sealey's published price for the winning unit is £53.94 (£44.95 plus VAT), so many outlets will sell the heater for considerably more than the Kobe model. All prices correct at time of writing."

We hope that helps.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Hello Lizzie,
Thank you for the explanation, which puts to bed the original question.

However I have to say that Mike2327 was hammered for using text speak, on only 3 words in his original post, by the moderators. Surely all that was needed for a new member was to point out to him that on the Forum text speak was not acceptable, as also is printing in CAPITALS, as I did on my first post in 2010. I feel that both moderators could have worded their replies in a more moderate manner.

When I joined the Forum in 2010 it had many more posts on a daily basis than it has now, this could be down to other organisations starting Forums of their own, thus diluting the PC Forum, but making it more important to show a welcoming manner to new members.

Regards,
George

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
I am only on one forum, this one, and I think it is very good.

The Moderators have a difficult job, so please don't shoot the messengers. I can't remember if new forumites have to say if they have read and agree to the Etiquette rules or not when initially registering. If not then perhaps it needs to be implemented.

Mar 2, 2010
Visit site
To add they do it in their own time FOC except for magazine.I have seen posters arguing with mods over breaches,I go with the 'short and sharp' method personally,saves a lot of time in the end

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
As a Moderator on a non-caravan forum, I know it can be difficult to get the right balance in a few words - particularly when an increasing amount of Moderators voluntary time has to be spent in detecting spam, trolls and viruses that may harm other contributors or their computers.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
BedfordGeorge said:
Hello Lizzie,

However I have to say that Mike2327 was hammered for using text speak, on only 3 words in his original post, by the moderators. Surely all that was needed for a new member was to point out to him that on the Forum text speak was not acceptable, as also is printing in CAPITALS, as I did on my first post in 2010. I feel that both moderators could have worded their replies in a more moderate manner

Regards,
George

I was going to let this pass, but I decided that I needed to reply to Bedford George.

Where was the OP "hammered" by the "moderators" for his post?

All I can see is Parksy advising that he may have got a quicker answer if he had not posted in txt speak and myself pointing out that how one posts on the Forum actually DOES matter, and that txt speak is not suitable for a Forum.

I am afraid that the English Language has been watered down , bastardised and Americanised to such an extent that it bears no resemblance to anything I was taught at school and that slang and txt speak are so common now that it is no wonder the younger generations cannot spell or write in anything like a correct manner.
It takes no more time to type a reasonable question in reasonable English and have the question understood by all, rather than just the few who understand txt speak.
There is no limit on the number of letters used in a posting on the forum and the exra wear on th ekeyboard is minimal.

So, do not blame us, the Moderators, for everything and please do not complain at our attempt to keep the Forum running and in a comprehensible manner.

I get fed up with the "Mummy, Mummy, the Big Bad Moderator has told me off for being a prat" mode of some people.

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
Whilst I agree that the Mods do a thankless job, giving up their time to keep the forum under control, I can't help thinking that it's not so much what they say but the way they say it. A refund is due from the school of "how not to alienate new members" because they obviously failed the course. :whistle:

Standing by to run to mummy. :dry:

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
I should first of all point out that I agree that the English language is the best form to communicate with, I have no idea about text speak, and don't want to. Even when replying to my granddaughter on text, I use the full English spelling. I also appreciate the moderators have a difficult job, probably more so than I realise, and it is done in their own time with no recompense.

The only point I was making was that Mike2327 only used 3 text speak words, and all it needed was to say that could he please note that in future it was not considered good etiquette to use it for future posts. I did feel that the replies he got were a little pointed, and that the replies following Parksy's original response, whilst done in jest, were nearly all in 'text speak' why were they not deleted and the posters also reminded not to use it.

When I first started caravanning in December 2010 I worked at home and was on the Forum most days, and can say that it was invaluable to me. I gained an enormous amount of great information from Sproket and other regulars. Even on this Forum I have realised that I needed to insulate my aquaroll, as I will be away over the new year period, and have now done this in preparation for our break.

It is also the only forum that I use and I am a subscriber to the magazine, and whilst I am not on it as much as in the past, still regard it as a very usefull information tool to make my caravanning better.

It was not my intention to have a go at the moderators, only to indicate that they may be more conciliatory when replying to a new member, who may have not posted in the correct manner.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The forum is supposed to be open to anyone with a genuine interest in caravanning. That means we are likely to find some posters who perhaps do not have the best grasp of the Queens English and grammar. I do not claim my own posts are to an "A" grade standard, and I definately know my spelling and typing can often leave a bit to be desired.

This forum is a web based, and as Damian points out, does not limit the number of characters in a posting. Therefore there is no reason to artificially shorten words or even omit words that would normally be used to create a proper grammatical sentence.

Even with the full character scope of the forum, we have some members who don't use capital letters, or paragraphs. Their postings look odd, and also significantly more difficult to read and comprehend. Consequently misunderstandings can easily ensue.

So why compound that further with the sheer lazyness of 'Text Speak'?

I suggest keeping 'Text Speak' just for texts messages, and not forum correspondence.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts