Possible miuse of vehicle while at dealer

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Used to do my own servicing, now age has court up with me, I take motor to a local indi, for oil change or a service. Dash cam is always switched off Air con which is on all year, on auto, is switched to continuous low.

This is a series of checks the Indi dose when has the motor in the garage, looking for work basically. he is open about what he dose when he has the motor. I get the feeling that , when he has the motor on the lift, waiting for the oil to drain (when doing an oil change) he is giving the steering etc a glance, looking for splits/leaks.

What is the difference between climate control and air con???

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Thanks Hutch. Mines climate control then, usually set on syinc at 21degs all year. If people ask still call it Air Con

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Reactions: DaveA1
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
The Jeep has climate control for the front passengers and also for those in the rear seats whch they can adjust themselves. When in air con mode they cannot adjust their zone.

I would suggest that if the rear passengers can have some control over air distribution this is limited if the driver has not turned on the AC. And it will be simply that, distribution. No cooling or drying will be possible.

Normally, if the driver selects CC (just auto on my car), the AC comes on by default.

John

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
The Jeep has climate control for the front passengers and also for those in the rear seats whch they can adjust themselves. When in air con mode they cannot adjust their zone.
I've never seen the value in two-zone control - as soon as the air comes out of the vents it mixes with the air from other vents - it's not like there's a barrier between the driver and front seat passenger - and three/four-zone seems even sillier since the air from the front vents travels rearwards anyway before being extracted so the rear passengers can't really have independent temperature.

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
I would suggest that if the rear passengers can have some control over air distribution this is limited if the driver has not turned on the AC. And it will be simply that, distribution. No cooling or drying will be possible.

Normally, if the driver selects CC (just auto on my car), the AC comes on by default.

John
Same with mine just an auto button, on all year. The settings for passengers temp wise is small.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site

John
On the Jeep you have to physically select climate control auto or air con. Although they are basically one and the same thing and not separate, the difference is the way it operates. If selecting air con, temperature selected for CC stays the same. Fan is at mid position and needs to be manually adjusted to increase or decrease it.

Anyway regarding the flat spot which was supposed to be cured by replacing all the glow plugs, they have agreed to take the Jeep back for another look. The big issue with the flat spot, it is not very evident and only happens now and then. It is noticeable when approaching a slight or gentle incline and it seems to lack the power and slows down. If you then accelerate hard, it kicks down and no more issue.

Even if on a road that is dead flat, if cruising along at 60mph, it seems as if the car has gone into neutral and is freewheeling. Not pleasant when towing a caravan. At the same time they will check the fairy light display on the rear fog lights.

The Jeep had two error messages one of which has been resolved, but it seems not the other error which is P0741 - Powertrain Torque converter clutch circuit performance/Stuck off was removed. I was told that they are linked and changing the glow plugs will resolve all.

Issue or concern here is that we are away next week for just over 2 weeks and they cannot fit the Jeep in for repair before then. We are hoping that as I am aware of the very occasional "flat spot", we will not have an issue.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site

John
Some cars have twin AC units - the Porsche Cayenne, Audi Q7 and VW Touareg siblings have a separate AC unit in the rear wing when the four-zone option is fitted.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Does the flat spot occur in cruise control or manual throttle mode? Or both?
Until Tuesday I assumed it was only in CC, but on the return trip nowhere to use CC on A roads and issue occurred. So both. I checked the car again yesterday with OBDII for fault code, but no faults showing?

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Until Tuesday I assumed it was only in CC, but on the return trip nowhere to use CC on A roads and issue occurred. So both. I checked the car again yesterday with OBDII for fault code, but no faults showing?
Some faults will only show up on a brand-specific diagnostic reader - generic OBD2 readers can miss faults.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
At main dealer rates I hope they find the problem quickly😬. Make sure they check the common rail pressure and all the usual sensors, air flows, crank and cam sensors etc. Not all faults will give a fault code reading. The Touareg said the rear led fog light was ok but it wasn’t!

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
At main dealer rates I hope they find the problem quickly😬. Make sure they check the common rail pressure and all the usual sensors, air flows, crank and cam sensors etc. Not all faults will give a fault code reading. The Touareg said the rear led fog light was ok but it wasn’t!

The big problem is if it does not come up on the computer they probably haven't a clue what to do next.

Jan 7, 2007
Visit site
My SQ5 went into a nameless Audi dealer for routine service. I’ve got an AA smart breakdown dongle fitted into the EOBD socket for DTC alerts and also acts as a tracker. Got the car back later in the day and I thought I’d take a look at the dongle on my app. The technician who did the work decided he was Maverick from Top Gun and wazzed the car up and down the road. Harsh braking and harsh accelerating. Needless to say when his boss called him in, he didn’t have a leg to stand on, so I got a free sunroof service worth £200 and some fuel compensation. So glad i had this little dongle in the car, I would have been none the wiser otherwise.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
I love that; well done. Haven't seen them lately -maybe they've been told off but our local Audi dealer used a village a s a round test route from the premises and back and some of the driving-yikes-brand new cars driven like that-obviously no running in required!

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I love that; well done. Haven't seen them lately -maybe they've been told off but our local Audi dealer used a village a s a round test route from the premises and back and some of the driving-yikes-brand new cars driven like that-obviously no running in required!
When I lived in South Africa brand new cars were driven from Port Elizabeth to Cape Town a distance of abot 500 miles, as it was the cheapest way to deliver. I normally travelled at 60-70mph and were sometimes overtaken by these convoys of brand new vehicles. This was in the eighties!

Aug 24, 2021
Visit site
When my cars have been in for any work, it is normal for the battery to be disconnected. I would expect this to be mandatory in the case of an 'electrical' job like glow plugs. This will disturb your settings.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
When my cars have been in for any work, it is normal for the battery to be disconnected. I would expect this to be mandatory in the case of an 'electrical' job like glow plugs. This will disturb your settings.
That is true, but cannot change radio settings, switch from climate control to air con which is a manual switch and a host of other things that require manual intervention.
The vehicle was taken for a test run on a flat piece of road a mile up the road and back which is fair enough, but probably why the other issue never came to light after they had cleared all the fault codes. However the dealer has agreed to do another diagnostic test no charge and is also supplying a loan car.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts