Post Brexit Driving

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Buckman said:
Lutz said:
Buckman said:
How can it be illegal when it is legal in the home country. Our plates have the UK and the Union Flag on the left hand side and never been stopped.

But having the GB sticker is sufficient as my plates have nothing other than the cars registration number on car and van but both carry a GB sticker.

You ask how it can be illegal? It's because UK legislation only makes a Euro style plate with anything other than the circle of stars legal within the United Kingdom, but not outside.

We have seen loads of cars with either England, Wales or Scottish flag on left hand side of number plate while in France and Spain. No stars of course. Like us these vehicles had a GB sticker. Bobbies there did not take any notice of the different type of number plate.

Ps apologies for putting comments in existing text but edit mode won’t allow cut and paste.

PS Edit cut and paste work on MAC:
It’s a rather pointless argument. What constitutes a legal number plate and national identification within the EU is quite clear. Just because no one has been picked up is irrelevant and just points to the tolerance or probably disinterest of the various nations police who have more important things to do than pick up on non conforming British.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
So even if my three plates with our flag on from where I come from arn't enough I've just noticed that even the graphics on my caravan have our flag on !! :p
Is this not enough notification !!!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Craigyoung said:
So even if my three plates with our flag on from where I come from arn't enough I've just noticed that even the graphics on my caravan have our flag on !! :p
Is this not enough notification !!!

Might work if you were to play “Land if Hope and Glory” very loud when the Gendarme pulls you over. But I won’t be going to Ladbrokes to put money on it :)

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Even the Sprites sold on the Continent have the Union Flag on them, so that's not going to be much help.

By the way, I've got a Pitcairn Islands flag sticker on the back of my car, but that doesn't mean that I'm a Pitcairn Islander.

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
otherclive said:
Thingy said:
And this shows what Europe is all about

There are 2 types of IDP required by EU countries. Each is governed by a separate United Nations convention.

One type is governed by the 1949 Geneva Convention on Road Traffic.

The other type is governed by the 1968 Vienna Convention on Road Traffic.

The version of the IDP you would require depends on which EU country you are visiting and whether it is party to the 1949 or the 1968 convention.

Who was it said they couldnt agree on the colour of you know what.

Ireland, Spain, Malta and Cyprus retain the 1949 convention, all other EU countries plus Switzerland and Norway are signed up to the later one. Guess the first four never got round to changing as it only affects non EU drivers who go there.

Of which we will be after 31.03.19!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Scorpy said:
otherclive said:
Thingy said:
And this shows what Europe is all about

There are 2 types of IDP required by EU countries. Each is governed by a separate United Nations convention.

One type is governed by the 1949 Geneva Convention on Road Traffic.

The other type is governed by the 1968 Vienna Convention on Road Traffic.

The version of the IDP you would require depends on which EU country you are visiting and whether it is party to the 1949 or the 1968 convention.

Who was it said they couldnt agree on the colour of you know what.

Ireland, Spain, Malta and Cyprus retain the 1949 convention, all other EU countries plus Switzerland and Norway are signed up to the later one. Guess the first four never got round to changing as it only affects non EU drivers who go there.

Of which we will be after 31.03.19!

Guess the clue is in the title of the thread :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts