Postings

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Is it normal to look at some of the more contentious topics on this forum and think, "yes I could add to that one". Then take half an hour to construct something that is not only "on topic" but also shows what you really think, regardless of what others might say. Maybe even add a bit of levity to alleviate some of the more sobering words of wisdom you came up with. Then right at the end, just as your mouse hovers over the Submit button, you re read your masterpiece and discover that you just won't get away with it! Scratch that last half hour of your life and go for the quiet life.

Or am I the only one?

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
lmaaooooo Lol, I know what you mean m8 but I normally think what the hell as long as it gets people thinking and debating. I get easily bored heheh! I love a little controversy as long as people don't take things too personally.

G

There have been some highly contentious topics on the Forum in the last few weeks. While I am neither agreeing, nor disagreeing with the posts made I would like to make the following general comments.

The Forum is a publically accessible web page. While a password is necessary to make posts, all those written can be seen without control by anyone who has a fancy to look. I think it is commonly accepted that children do make use of the internet to a great extent and while I do not believe that they would choose this site as a priority they may access it in other ways, possibly more so if parents or grandparents have left it as a bookmark. They will probably look at the 'Chitchat' page first as it list 'jokes and trivia'. The point I am making is do we wish some of the posts made to be seen by children, or our grandchildren? Some of the comments are made to introduce discussion and to provoke thought, but they may not always be taken in that context.

If it is felt by all that freedom of speech should prevail, then would it not be beneficial to everyone to make a new Forum sub section for these topics, that is password protected for access. Then posts would not be exposed to even the slightest possible access by non-adult members.

I do remember being advised by the IT department of one of my employers that I should be prepared to repeat anything I placed on the Internet in the middle of the local high street, because it was just as public.

Mar 28, 2005
Visit site
I thought I'd better come and hide in here as Lisa is letting off a bit of steam in "General" so I'm laying low.

Yes Lol I do it all the time but it's usually because when I read it back it doesn't make any sense

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
There have been some highly contentious topics on the Forum in the last few weeks. While I am neither agreeing, nor disagreeing with the posts made I would like to make the following general comments.

The Forum is a publically accessible web page. While a password is necessary to make posts, all those written can be seen without control by anyone who has a fancy to look. I think it is commonly accepted that children do make use of the internet to a great extent and while I do not believe that they would choose this site as a priority they may access it in other ways, possibly more so if parents or grandparents have left it as a bookmark. They will probably look at the 'Chitchat' page first as it list 'jokes and trivia'. The point I am making is do we wish some of the posts made to be seen by children, or our grandchildren? Some of the comments are made to introduce discussion and to provoke thought, but they may not always be taken in that context.

If it is felt by all that freedom of speech should prevail, then would it not be beneficial to everyone to make a new Forum sub section for these topics, that is password protected for access. Then posts would not be exposed to even the slightest possible access by non-adult members.

I do remember being advised by the IT department of one of my employers that I should be prepared to repeat anything I placed on the Internet in the middle of the local high street, because it was just as public.
David I dont honestly know what posts you are referring to - is it rude jokes? if so some may be a little risque but surely not that offensive, some jokes are playground humour anyway. Rude words have been blanked out and I dont think Ive seen any 4 letter words because the moderators wouldnt tolerate that. As you rightly put, it does say for jokes under Chit Chat so if I thought I might be offended by them I simply wouldnt go and look. Are you talking about the debates, for example whether 90 days was o.k. to lock up suspected terrorists? If so I'm sure children of a certain age talk about that already in school debating societies etc. Regarding children/grandchildren using our computers we must take responsibility for that surely. Use your security settings so that your children/grandchildren cannot access your pages. Just a thought to try and help your obvious misgivings about this site.

G

David I dont honestly know what posts you are referring to - is it rude jokes? if so some may be a little risque but surely not that offensive, some jokes are playground humour anyway. Rude words have been blanked out and I dont think Ive seen any 4 letter words because the moderators wouldnt tolerate that. As you rightly put, it does say for jokes under Chit Chat so if I thought I might be offended by them I simply wouldnt go and look. Are you talking about the debates, for example whether 90 days was o.k. to lock up suspected terrorists? If so I'm sure children of a certain age talk about that already in school debating societies etc. Regarding children/grandchildren using our computers we must take responsibility for that surely. Use your security settings so that your children/grandchildren cannot access your pages. Just a thought to try and help your obvious misgivings about this site.
Jokes are no problem, that is after all what the section is for. You are right in that chldren do probably have agood idea of what is going on, but should we not as adults be trying to set an example of responsible behaviour and fair play. I agree that there are many things in this country that make me very angry, but try to consider other peoples feelings as well, before shouting in public.

Talking of the 'hang em and flog em' brigade. I was in the local church here in the old town of Edinburgh, which is now an information centre. Part of the information on show stated that traders who upset the local populace by offering poor quality goods and/or service were nailed by their ears to the beam across the nave of the church. Prsumably they looked down on the congregation and repented their sins. However, it could be an interesting scheme for caravan dealers, don't you think?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I thought I'd better come and hide in here as Lisa is letting off a bit of steam in "General" so I'm laying low.

Yes Lol I do it all the time but it's usually because when I read it back it doesn't make any sense
Wow Roy, just got back from the General section, think you might be correct, it is quiet in here! Wish Lisa was a 4x4 driver, could do with a slice of "Lisa energy" in "that" debate. Me, Clive and the other 4x4ers could retire, or at least sit back for a while.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Jokes are no problem, that is after all what the section is for. You are right in that chldren do probably have agood idea of what is going on, but should we not as adults be trying to set an example of responsible behaviour and fair play. I agree that there are many things in this country that make me very angry, but try to consider other peoples feelings as well, before shouting in public.

Talking of the 'hang em and flog em' brigade. I was in the local church here in the old town of Edinburgh, which is now an information centre. Part of the information on show stated that traders who upset the local populace by offering poor quality goods and/or service were nailed by their ears to the beam across the nave of the church. Prsumably they looked down on the congregation and repented their sins. However, it could be an interesting scheme for caravan dealers, don't you think?
Hmmmm what a good idea, I think I will lobby my M.P. to re-introduce the law.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thank goodness Lol, I thought it was just me .. :)

Janey1
Janey, I have wasted an hour scripting various posts just in the last day, only to hit the big X instead of submit! I wouldn't mind so much if it was a one liner, but it's usually a big sermon that gets trashed!

Gotta get a life, gotta get a life, wonder in Wilko's is still open....

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Janey, I have wasted an hour scripting various posts just in the last day, only to hit the big X instead of submit! I wouldn't mind so much if it was a one liner, but it's usually a big sermon that gets trashed!

Gotta get a life, gotta get a life, wonder in Wilko's is still open....
⇦ been to Wilcko's in Worksop.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
⇦ been to Wilcko's in Worksop.
That's not much of a claim to fame there bud! They're not going to put "Sorely missed and taken too early, but still managed to get to Wilko's in Worksop" on your grave stone LB.

More like, " Titillating Tina in tears thanks for the memories!"

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
lmaaooooo Lol, I know what you mean m8 but I normally think what the hell as long as it gets people thinking and debating. I get easily bored heheh! I love a little controversy as long as people don't take things too personally.
What does Lmaaaaooooo LOL mean?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts