Power cable

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
Is it just me or does everyone else have a problem releasing power cable from battery box, as I already suffer from arthritis in my hands I find it very very difficult on plugging and unplugging terminal into the socket with space for only one arthritic hand and having to try and raise the sprung locking flap with your fingers and pulling the same time, ( and it's always pouring down ) boy if I had a swear box next to me every time.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Smurff said:
Is it just me or does everyone else have a problem releasing power cable from battery box, as I already suffer from arthritis in my hands I find it very very difficult on plugging and unplugging terminal into the socket with space for only one arthritic hand and having to try and raise the sprung locking flap with your fingers and pulling the same time, ( and it's always pouring down ) boy if I had a swear box next to me every time.

Apologies I am not sure of your issue as why would you need to unplug the terminal constantly?

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
I know what you mean, I'm always worried I'm going to break something when I'm twisting it about trying to unplug it. I keep meaning to try silicon spray or something like that to see if that makes it any easier, now that you've reminded me I'll give it a go today and let you know.

Regards

Shug.

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
It's the sprung locking flap that causes me problems, having to plug in and take out with one hand pulling and fingers trying to lift the flap up in such small area is quite impossible

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
You need to replace the socket on the end of your hook-up lead with one that has a thumb-lever to raise the sprung cover. I have 4 different hook-up leads (don't ask why!) and only two of them have this type of socket. They are SO much easier to use one-handed. Also, do use Maplins silicon grease (small tube lasts forever), but onhook from mains BEFORE spreading a little over all 3 pins and the sides of the socket and the plug end.

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
Tried the silicon spray today, much easier now. I've got one of the lever operated release thingies on my race truck and that is a lot easier to use one handed, so might be worth a try for you.

Regards

Shug.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Surfer said:
Smurff said:

Apologies I am not sure of your issue as why would you need to unplug the terminal constantly?

Duh not sure why I had such a thick blonde moment as I reading it today I know exactly what you are saying and experiencing! Never knew about the thumb lid thingy, but it will be on my to buy list this week! Any one got a link to this item as unable to find it on internet search and cheaper for us to buy Online than to drive a 30 mile round trip to a dealer? Thanks.

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
Surfer said:
Surfer said:
Smurff said:

Duh not sure why I had such a thick blonde moment as I reading it today I know exactly what you are saying and experiencing! Never knew about the thumb lid thingy, but it will be on my to buy list this week! Any one got a link to this item as unable to find it on internet search and cheaper for us to buy Online than to drive a 30 mile round trip to a dealer? Thanks.
Surfer.
Have a look at this link you can see the blue lever that helps lift the cap when unplugging it.

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
I was thinking of a plug (technically a "socket") to go on the caravan end of your mains lead, rather than Surfer's idea. If you go on to Screwfix site, it's item 44755 - Commando Socket, £4.16

Feb 6, 2009
Visit site
As well as the usual excellent replies from the "regulars" on the forum, I can report that I have given all my plugs a regular squirt of WD40 twice a year (and that goes for the ordinary "inside type" 13 Amp 3 pin plugs, as well) I disconnect the cables first of course!
I must have been doing this for more than 20 years now, no problems have been experienced, so far! and even my gnarled old paws manage to pull them out and put them in with ease.... they just glide smooth as silk!
Regards
paws

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Sproket said:
Surfer said:
Surfer said:
Smurff said:

Surfer.
Have a look at this link you can see the blue lever that helps lift the cap when unplugging it.
I thought it was a thumb thing on the socket/plug on the cable and not the socket in the mains box.

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
philspot1 said:
I was thinking of a plug (technically a "socket") to go on the caravan end of your mains lead, rather than Surfer's idea. If you go on to Screwfix site, it's item 44755 - Commando Socket, £4.16

Surfer
This is the one that philspot1 suggests, it looks like you can use your thumb to hold the cap open .....
http://m.screwfix.com/pr-gallery.htm?id=44755#imggal1

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts