Powering a Freeview Box

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Just got back from a rally where someone said that they power their Freeview Set Top Box via the Caravans battery.

The Box I have at home is 6volt reduced via the mains and a plugin transformer.

My question is; Does anyone out there power the Freeview box via the caravan battery and if so, is the Settop Box a 12volt (and if so what make is it)If their Freeview Box is less than 12 volt how do you reduce the voltage.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Get yourself a small (150Watt) 12vdc/230vac modified sine wave inverter and still use your 230vac to 6vdc converter.

I do this with a Sky box and Toshiba lcd tv but I use a 300watt inverter.

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
my freeview box is also 12 volt from dixons, i was also able to get a 12 volt 15 inch lcd colour tv from dixons. i have made up a lead to plug both of these in to the twelve volt socket at the tv output on the van and it works fine. i did have an inverter once but found it used a lot more power in the conversion than what i required to use and the battery died too quickly.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have a 300 watt inverter which I use on the Sky box on occasions.

As an aside you can use the inverter for other things as well !!

I fitted a cigar socket on my wife's buggy and when the power goes off I can plug the inverter into the buggy and use it to heat the whole house as not much current is needed for the central heating gas valve and water pump !

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
I have a 300 watt inverter which I use on the Sky box on occasions.

As an aside you can use the inverter for other things as well !!

I fitted a cigar socket on my wife's buggy and when the power goes off I can plug the inverter into the buggy and use it to heat the whole house as not much current is needed for the central heating gas valve and water pump !
John, how long are you able to run your Sky box and Tv on your battery and what size battery do you have?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
John, how long are you able to run your Sky box and Tv on your battery and what size battery do you have?
Ian I can run indefinitely as I always go on hook up but run the TV off 12V (and the Sky box when the hook up is unreliable).

The battery is thus being charged most of the time except when the site electrics fail for one reason or another.

Sorry I can't answer the question you are asking.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts