Powrtouch Problem

Jun 24, 2005
Visit site
DSCF0323_zpsksbqfdom.jpg
The following is a copy of an email that I sent to Powrtouch:

Good morning,

I’m trying to help a friend who has a Powrtouch 1 with electronic application. It is fitted to a Bailey Pageant S6 Provence. The motor number is 206/017428. We live in France so it’s not possible to call a Powrtouch engineer but I’ve fitted a number of your movers and currently have an AWD version fitted to my Bailey Cartagena so I’m fairly confident in my abilities.

My friends have only just purchased the caravan and the previous owner had a new actuator fitted. The mover worked satisfactorily on a number of occasions but has now failed. I’ve attached a picture of the actuator and you can see that the end of the actuator has pulled away from the main body. Obviously that part is now scrap but I’m wondering if you could advise me as to the reason why this might have happened? I don’t want to fit a new part only for the same thing to occur.

I’m wondering if any of the following alternatives are possible:

1. Is it possible to change this mover to manual actuation? If so, could you tell me what parts are needed and what the cost is?
2. Do you supply reconditioned mover kits so that I can fit a whole new system?

Thank you for your help,

Best regards[/i

I received the following reply:

Afternoon.
I have seen a few Pas broken like that normally caused by either being physically hit with something or trying to move a mover that has not been maintained and very tight.

Hardly informative! The caravan has been regularly serviced but I'm wondering if a lack of grease might have caused the motor to seize in it's track whilst it was trying to engage. I'm wondering if any forum members can answer my additional questions regarding converting to manual operation.

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
PaulT said:
..... The caravan has been regularly serviced .....

I wouldn't have thought a motor mover was included as part of a standard caravan service, however regular that service may have been. Similarly gas heaters and gas fridges are not part of the regular service, if you want them serviced you have to pay extra. :(

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
WoodlandsCamper said:
PaulT said:
..... The caravan has been regularly serviced .....

I wouldn't have thought a motor mover was included as part of a standard caravan service, however regular that service may have been. Similarly gas heaters and gas fridges are not part of the regular service, if you want them serviced you have to pay extra. :(
You're spot on Sir WC. The mover is not part of a caravan standard service.
Twice a year I clean mine up and re lubricate the moving parts.
I suspect the OP pic shows a sadly neglected piece of kit.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
As has been said, the mover is not included in the Annual Service, but some engineers will give it a look over grease the sliders and other moving parts.
The picture shows what seems obvious that the unit has contacted something hard, or has very tight sliders, and split the back of the motor assembly away.

It is possible to return to ,manual activation with the necessary actuator bar, cam assembly, springs and a few other bits.

As far as mover servicing is concerned, it is the owners responsibility to clean and grease the relevant parts, at least twice a year preferably

Powertouch do sell refurbished movers.

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
We have had two motor movers during the last 15 years (same manufacturer) and the handbook says no maintenance or servicing required.Never had any trouble.
From the pictures it looks like mechanical damage rather than a "maintenance" issue.

Sep 14, 2015
Visit site
I can understand when you say the Caravan full service doesn't include motor movers but if there is something visibly been moving i.e. the mover actuator beginning to come loose at the service it should have been spotted and reported .
Do these so called Engineers go around with there eyes closed . In the Motor trade , certainly the old school mechanics did a Visible check of the whole underbody of the car as a routine . That is not itemised on service schedules but it was done .
Most of the underside of the van can be inspected on your back but much better on a ramp .
Spotting things early generates more money for the mechanic, technician, engineer was reserved to someone with a professional qualification as I had

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Quote " engineer was reserved to someone with a professional qualification as I had "

And that was what?

A lot of caravan "engineers" are highly qualified in what are deemed as "professional" trades.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
An engineer is a practitioner of engineering, concerned with applying scientific knowledge, mathematics, and ingenuity to develop solutions for technical, societal and commercial problems. Engineers design materials, structures, and systems while considering the limitations imposed by practicality, regulation, safety, and cost.The word engineer is derived from the Latin words ingeniare ("to contrive, devise") and ingenium ("cleverness").

The work of engineers forms the link between scientific discoveries and their subsequent applications to human needs and quality of life.
Hutch. Licenced Aircrat Engineer, licence No. 66.414541L.
But I still have to take my van to a registered service center to keep my warranty valid. Kerching went the till.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Quote " But I still have to take my van to a registered service center to keep my warranty valid "

No, you don't.
Any NCC Approved Workshop can service your van and retain the warranty, be that a fixed workshop or Mobile Engineer.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts