Practical Caravan Staff

Nov 13, 2008
Visit site
Hello everyone

My name is Nigel Donnelly and I'm the editor of Practical Caravan magazine.

I've only recently assumed this role from Carl Rodgerson but one of the things I'd like to do is make more use of the forum. I can't promise to answer every query that comes up, but rest assured my team and I will be visiting as often as possible to keep up with the hot topics of the day.

To start off, I'd like to thanks you all for using the site and hope you continue to do so.

Happy Caravanning

Nigel Donnelly

Editor

Practical Caravan

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
How about a welcome present from forum users to the incoming editor?

worth a try...

Nigel Donnelly

Editor

Practical Caravan
That is not the true spirit of Christmas Nigel - one should be in a festive giving mood and not asking for presents. What Jeremy is after is just a reduced subscription rate and not a Christmas present - bah humbug hehehehe

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Nibel - if we keep up this "bickering" regarding presents and reduced subscription rates the mods. will have us banned - now that could be interesting - the editor of a magazine banned from the magazine forum - there is always a first for everything

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Nibel - if we keep up this "bickering" regarding presents and reduced subscription rates the mods. will have us banned - now that could be interesting - the editor of a magazine banned from the magazine forum - there is always a first for everything
Sorry should be NIGEL - the keys have a habit of moving on my keyboard.

Sep 13, 2006
Visit site
Nigel

"How about a welcome present from forum users to the incoming editor?"

Come on one of our centre rallies and I will get you a beer or two.

Now ... about the forum offer

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Nigel, We wish you all the best and been reading P.C for years, Only thing I like to see is write up of second hand tow cars, as some of us can't afford brand new one,

Happy Christmas to all the PC staffs, Trevor

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi Nigel

Well done , being the first PC Editor to go live on the Forum.

Keep up the good work of your predecessors and ensure the mag continues to grow in content.

Swift have recently actively responded to members "grumbles". Hopefully you can encourage other manufacturers and dealers to do the same. It proves the Forum is a very useful vehicle for all readers.

Good luck mate!.

Cheers

Alan

Mar 29, 2007
Visit site
Hi Nigel ,its about time the editor took an interest in the forum, loook forward to hearing more from you. What about an article on ABI caravans in its last years of tourer production, we have a 2001 brooklyn 490-5 and have never seen another one.

May 27, 2006
Visit site
A warm welcome from me.

Ive followed your escapades with the wren from day one and enjoyed (and learned) from them.

Now I guess your move on to something more becoming an editers position...a 6 berth TA maybe?

Good luck to you anyway. Keep writing and popping in here even if you only come in for the coffee

Nov 13, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the messages

Incidentally, I do have a new long-term test van, but the Wren is still very much part of the team and occupying my driveway, with more damp work to tackle amongst other things. Once the weather improves, of course...

Jan 30, 2007
Visit site
Hi Nigel

I would like to back Trevor up in his suggestion of reviewing second hand tow cars, we drive a dreaded 4x4, an imported Pajero L reg. But it is a wonderful car at a price we can afford will pull anything of a muddy field.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Nigel,

Caroline makes a very good point.I started caravaning in 1976 , mainly because we never had enough money for a "posh" holiday. I've never looked back.Caravaning can now be as cheap or as expensive as you wish but fundamentally it gives those with less in their pocket the opportunity to have a first class holiday.

Thus I agree more articles on sourcing affordable 4x4 eg Pajeros etc and of course second hand caravans.Ok so I bought a new one but then I have worked for 37 years, but in my earlier days all I could afford was a used van.They all did me well and I learnt a hell of a lot on keeping them usable!

Cheers

Alan

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi Nigel

Congratulations on the appointment as editor of Practical Caravan, a publication which over the years has taught me a lot about caravanning. Its nice to see the editor contributing to this forum, well done!

We saw you at the last P.C. rally a couple of years back at Stowford (not surprisingly in the bar) and we hope that P.C.M. organises another rally at some stage.

Jan 19, 2007
Visit site
Hi Nigel

Good luck in your new role as PC editor. It's nice to see that you're interested in what your readers are talking about on this forum. I'm quite new to caravanning unlike you but I think it might be useful to have an article which looks at why people start caravanning and what they use their caravan for...eg We bought our first caravan because we reckoned it would be more comfortable than all the travelodges/B&Bs we used each year in pursuit of our hobbies...we use ours as a walking (Long Distance Walkers Assoc.), cycling(Audax UK), and bellringing(Open University Assoc of Change Ringers) accessory. Anyway, welcome to the forum!

Regards

Denise

Nov 13, 2008
Visit site
Thanks again for the welcome.

We're very aware that we don't do a great deal of modern used vans and used cars, and it's quite a tricky thing to get right. When it comes to testing used cars for instance, a cherished five-year old car can often be a better drive than a year-old one which has lived a hard life, and any review would struggle to take account of that. Still, nothing worth doing is ever straightforward, so I'll start having a look into it to see what we can do. We're also looking at more coverage of used caravans over the coming months. We'll keep you posted.

Anyway, thanks for the comments and Merry Christmas from the whole PCV team.

Nigel Donnelly

Editor

Practical Caravan

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts