Pre Delivery Inspections.

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I agree with Parksy as far as the industry wont change unless it is forced to by consumer legislation or consumer pressure buy buying elsewhere, but I disagree with the contention that robotic assembly is the answer. It may be one solution, but there are other solutions which do not require the cost of automation.

Boff's point about cash flow is only relevant if the industry is cash strapped. It isn't. I have explained previously the very significant premium cost that is added into the resale price of every caravan to cover the cost of the expected warranty claims. I estimate that if proper quality management were implemented they could reduce costs by £500 to £1000 per caravan!

Effective quality management does not necessarily mean lower production numbers, What it does mean is lower scrap and rework time and costs.

One of the goals of world class design is to make the assembly as idiot proof as possible. This is can be done by using templates or assembly jigs that will only allow it to be put together one way - the right way. The consistent placement of fixings, correct application of sealants in both location and quantity. Torque controlled screw drivers, materials handling that present parts in the right order.

Incentivise the work force by putting quality not quantity at the top of the agenda. and instilling the pride in doing a good job. Rather than have a mad build season spread it more evenly across the year, so there is time to produce the numbers of units required.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts