Premium Caravan Tyres

Jan 23, 2007
Visit site
My Bailey came supplied with 195/70R14 Cheng Shin Trailermaxx tyres.

I am coming up to replacing them and felt that as I would not fit a cheapo tyre on my car,I would prefer a quality tyre from someone like michelin or pirelli.I am influenced in this by the occasional problems reported in these forums from the use of chinese tyres.

My local ATS was tasked with finding a suitable replacement and initially came up with,you guessed,Cheng Shin Trailermaxx.

These are four ply tyres with a 710kg max load.ATS subsequently came up with an eight ply pirelli with an unknown maximum load rating.

Has anyone out there gone through the same process and found a source or type of suitable tyres?

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Hi Frank,

Eriba Touring caravans, like many other caravans of around 1200 kg MTPLM, until recently were fitted with Matador Elite 195/70R14 tyres.

Nothing intrinsically wrong with Matador, no reported problems with UK owned Eriba - but the Dutch Eriba owners group had problems with early cracking - and for 2008, Eriba (Hymer) have fitted GT Maxmiler - a well respected commercial (white van) tyre.

Robert

Jan 4, 2008
Visit site
Hello,

I also have a Bailey which has trailermaxx tyres, ever since i first saw them i have been looking for a replacement due to not being of good quality, I do work for a garage that supplies tyres and i am currently looking for a suitable replacement, with regards to the pirrelli tyres i would think they are more than suitable for the job due being 8 ply, but this may cause them to be rather expensive. With regards to the load raiting there shoud be 2 numbers on the sidewall that indicate it eg 95

Thanks

Paul

Jan 23, 2007
Visit site
Hello,

I also have a Bailey which has trailermaxx tyres, ever since i first saw them i have been looking for a replacement due to not being of good quality, I do work for a garage that supplies tyres and i am currently looking for a suitable replacement, with regards to the pirrelli tyres i would think they are more than suitable for the job due being 8 ply, but this may cause them to be rather expensive. With regards to the load raiting there shoud be 2 numbers on the sidewall that indicate it eg 95

Thanks

Paul
The load marking on this tyre is 96N

Aug 23, 2006
Visit site
Hi Frank we've a new Bailey with Cheng Shins on 195/70*14. Not too bothered with being new at the moment but I was talking to a Michelin tyre tech. around Christmas who advised me to have a tyre with a load rating of 98-99 when I replce them.

All the best

Tomo

spj

Apr 5, 2006
Visit site
Hi all,

As a mechanic for 12 years on cars and the last 9 years on HGVs personally I would not fit cheap tyres to a car or caravan. My previous caravan (Avondale) came new with Gaja Tungal Maxxmiler reinforced tyres, these were a standing joke at a car dealer I worked at, the sales department would only pay for the cheapest tyres for used cars, the two main makes we used to get were GT Maxmiler and Woosung, before bieng fitted they were really heavy, seemed rock hard and they always took a lot of weight to balance. On the road fitted to the front of a front wheel drive car they were awful and the car would understeer badly in the wet. The GT Maxmillers on my Avondale were replaced at 22 months old due to cracking, I fitted Firestones as these were the only named brand available at the time although they would not have been my first choice. We now have a Fleetwood which came with Matador tyres, not my choice again but being a twin axle they are not reinfoced and will be cheaper to replace with a premium brand when the time comes.

spj

Jan 23, 2007
Visit site
Update:Caravan tyres are van tyres,however most vans are now on 15" or larger wheels.In my case I needed a load/speed rating of 96N which nobody can supply in a 14" tyre and consequently have had to buy another pair of trailermaxx tyres.

Older and lighter vans could possibly find something (my caravan has a MTPLM of 1350kgs)

Aug 8, 2007
Visit site
Hi Frank we've a new Bailey with Cheng Shins on 195/70*14. Not too bothered with being new at the moment but I was talking to a Michelin tyre tech. around Christmas who advised me to have a tyre with a load rating of 98-99 when I replce them.

All the best

Tomo
Hi Tom

Can you give a reason why your Michelin Guru advised a tyre with such a high pressure?

Any words of wisdom gratefully received.

Mac

Aug 23, 2006
Visit site

All the best

Tomo
Hi Mark Mac

Don't know what the pressure is but that's the load rating he recommended. I take it these tyres give a better load allowance. The Cheng Shins just about cover the axle loading of 1400 kg with 710kg per tyre.

Tomo

Feb 27, 2008
Visit site
Hello Frank,

you are not alone, I am going to replace the tyres on my 04 Europa, the OEM tyres are Dunlop SP Sport 200 195/70 R14 95N which are no longer made (apparently). I have struggled to source a suitable replacement from the premium brands, but appear to have settled for the Bridgestone SF226 195/70 R14 95S RFD. Bridgestone have confirmed that it is ok to use on a caravan, and the makers of my Europa are ok providing they meet the spec of the OEM tyres, which they appear to. Hope this is of some help to you. Good luck.

Jan 4, 2008
Visit site
Hello again,

as mentioned in my previous posting i was looking for an alternative to trailermax in 185 85 14 but after contacting several tyre wholesalers through my job basically everything in that size is made in china and not of reputable quality, however i did find in 195 70 14 you can buy matatdors not top quality but a certainly better than trailermaxx

Thanks

Paul (in search on tyres not made in china)

Jan 28, 2008
Visit site
Hi Terry/Frank

I had the Bridgestone SF226 tyres fitted to my van (MTPLM 1300kg) last year. So far they are round, black, show no signs of wear or anything after six months and 1000 miles. It took the supplier a bit of time to obtain them (Etyres.com) but they came and fitted three (both road wheels and the spare) on the drive without any hassles. Took 3 days from first calling them to having them fitted.

I would definately recommend these over some cheaper tyres.

Because they are not too common, watch out for the manufacturing date stamped on the tyre to make sure they have not been in storage for too long. Mine were only about 2 months old when they were fitted.

Cheers

David

May 21, 2008
Visit site
I run Matador tyres on my twin axle van, what I looked at was the load rating of the tyre which was far above the max weight of the van.

These tyres are an own brand type of ATS. They are quite adequate for the purpose and also ATS do a BOGOF occassionally so at

Feb 11, 2007
Visit site
In my search for a replacement for my Coachman tyres which have Cheng Shin tyres and my loading is 1350 klg I require the 96n type as i have been given to understand it is best to have a tyre loading 10% more than the actual weight of the outfit. The Shen Sing done this but i have been also told they are no longer available and whilst it seems the major players do 95n the 96n are harder to obtain I also do not want to go down the Matodor road.

DJM

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I also have a Bailey which I purchased new in March 2003 and came supplied with the same tyres as yours did Frank - Cheng Shin Trailer Maxx tyres size 195/70/R14/96N.

I estimate that these tyres have covered a minimum of 20,000 miles mainly towing on motorways in France and Spain.

They are still in good condition visually, with no signs of cracked side walls, worn tread or flat spots.

However as they were manufactured in 2002 and I am heading to Spain again in September I decided to play safe and have new tyres fitted. They are being fitted on Monday and yes I am having the same tyres fitted again as I think they are fit for purpose.

Feb 11, 2007
Visit site
I also have a Bailey which I purchased new in March 2003 and came supplied with the same tyres as yours did Frank - Cheng Shin Trailer Maxx tyres size 195/70/R14/96N.

I estimate that these tyres have covered a minimum of 20,000 miles mainly towing on motorways in France and Spain.

They are still in good condition visually, with no signs of cracked side walls, worn tread or flat spots.

However as they were manufactured in 2002 and I am heading to Spain again in September I decided to play safe and have new tyres fitted. They are being fitted on Monday and yes I am having the same tyres fitted again as I think they are fit for purpose.

DJM

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts