Prep for a trip

Jun 20, 2017
Visit site
In preparation for a trip, do you stock your van up with essentials or do you take the very basics and rely on a local shop being open when you arrive?

Kevin

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
We take milk and things to make a sandwich, and we check the internet for the nearest supermarket to buy groceries at our destination

Reactions: figbat
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Usually we take evening meal(easy to make one-or pre made)and breakfast stuff.Next day is usually exploring day via a supermarket to stock up.Always Google map to check for nearest supermarkets,no point taking extra kilos of food.
Only time this is different is if it's only a weekend getaway.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
In theory we do as those above do, but for some reason when we go to Europe my wife feels the need to store extra stocks of food /drink. I recall that at one time a large tin if cassoulet bought in France had been taken there three times. A case of coals to Newcastle or more accurately Cassoulet to Carcasonne! I think though I'm winning on this one now.

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
We normally take the essentials and stuff to make meals and drinks but not so much as to stop us eating out locally. We normally forget something so will invariably make a trip to a supermarket too!

On a trip to the Bala C&CC site we had run out of food and all the local shops were closed, so we had to make the two and a half hour round trip to the only open shop... the Tesco in Caernarfon!

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
As the others say.
We take enough for the first meal and breakfast , fruit etc. But in fairness after the pitching up we usually go for a drink and a pub meal or a takeaway. Then buy locally. Supermarkets or local butchers are good,.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
We are totally different, the freezer is filled with Chicken, Salmon and steak. The fridge filled with milk yoghurt. Bacon and fruit. The cool box in the Car is filled with wine and beer. This is the norm for UK or France. But keep an eye on Weights in the caravan.

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
Depends on the trip and where you are going :whistle:

...........usually prep for a trip back to the UK from France by stocking up with favourite alcoholic beverages only available over there.
All gets loaded in the tow car .......don't want to overload the caravan :lol:

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Gafferbill said:
Depends on the trip and where you are going :whistle:

...........usually prep for a trip back to the UK from France by stocking up with favourite alcoholic beverages only available over there.
All gets loaded in the tow car .......don't want to overload the caravan :lol:

Yes all our salad Creams that we can't get back here. .

Apr 19, 2017
Visit site
When traveling on the longer ferry routes, a good reason for packing the fridge & freezer as full as possible (in both directions) is so that everything stands a better chance of staying cold/frozen. It also makes sense to take everything still in the home fridge with you if away for more than a couple of days.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Gafferbill said:
Depends on the trip and where you are going .

As above, if it's just a weekend for us it's usually milk, few yoghurts and something quick for when we get there for the kids and us most importantly a couple of cans whilst setting up! A site that we use at Barnard Castle, on a Friday the fish and chip van comes in and on a Saturday its a pizza van that comes in! We sometimes pre-cook a big lasagne at home then take it with us and just put it in for the Saturday night ! Keeping it simple , but if the weather's nice then barbecue is out and fresh local produce is bought! B)

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
We are totally different, the freezer is filled with Chicken, Salmon and steak. The fridge filled with milk yoghurt. Bacon and fruit. The cool box in the Car is filled with wine and beer. This is the norm for UK or France. But keep an eye on Weights in the caravan.

Might explain your three way yaw sway and Mrs' scream before ATC kicked in :-(

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
otherclive said:
EH52ARH said:

Might explain your three way yaw sway and Mrs' scream before ATC kicked in :-(

This is how it's balanced after the Sway, the van is nice and stable, I hate to think how it was before, carrying all sorts of non essential things. :lol:

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I almost forgot that we've usually got a couple of tins containing quick meals such as Irish Stew that we can do for lunch.
We had a tin of salmon for sandwiches that never seemed to get used, I think that it did more miles tinned in our box under the seat than it did when it was alive in the sea. :dry:

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
One area that I get no say or influence in is the food packing.

We rarely have to buy anything other than fresh milk with regard to food top-up.

We always return with at least enough food to do the trip all over again :blink: .

Things won't change, it is a contest I know that I have already lost :dry:

Edit: I get to pack the essential vitamins for my personal use; there are never any leftovers on the return journey home :p

May 24, 2014
Visit site
We usually chill the fridge for a few hours, then hit Costco and fill the freezer, more efficient when its full. Usually chicken cubes and burgers,l sausages, bacon etc. Fill the fridge with cheese, milk, butter etc etc and the car with the usual vino collapso and Theakstons. If there is any room left we stick the awning in the car.

Jul 20, 2016
Visit site
It all depends where I am going to and for how long. I tend to *** the storage and prep the van for the off during the week (check tyres, wind legs up etc then I can just hook up and go). If we are only away for the weekend, then I tend to do a shop before I go, if its for a week, I shop when I get there!

I am very OCD, and like to prep! :cheer:

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I have to agree that it may depend on where you are going. Most sites have plenty of shops in the area and if so we usually take enough to get us past breakfast next day and after that shop as we go along. We do also visit the odd site where the local shops are poor and in those circumstances will bring more with us but that is the exception.
When touring we are great users of local farm shops if available.

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
EH52ARH said:

We are the same, as far as the fridge goes, minus the Salmon, we take enough for each evening meal plus breakfast (one pack of whatever) all tinned stuff carried in the car, with the awing and poles, Out most of the day so snack at lunch. Only buy milk and bread when away Mostly stay on CLs so can't *** to the site shop if we run short. :) :) :) Van stable.

Jun 4, 2022
Visit site
If you have your own car or van, then you have nothing to worry about at all. Everything that does not spoil very quickly can be taken with you, and food, for example, can be bought already on the way in any store. Another problem is if you don't have your own transport. I live in Germany and my work is already in another city, and as you can imagine, it was extremely difficult for me to get there until I started using the dbfahrplanauskunft.com railway company, which operates throughout the country. A ticket costs only 42 euros, and up to 4 passengers pay only 6 euros each. This ticket can be used by up to 5 people and children under the age of 5 travel for free, which saves a lot of money.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
In preparation for a trip, do you stock your van up with essentials or do you take the very basics and rely on a local shop being open when you arrive?

Kevin
Before booking we always researched the nearest supermarket to the caravan site, and assuming it was convenient we would only take the essentials for the journey and first night, then shopped for the stay locally.

The main driver for this was to prevent having to tow more weight than was necessary.

Reactions: Parksy
Aug 24, 2020
Visit site
We always take milk, butter, bread and a bottle of squash with us, not necessarily in the caravan. I've got Tupperware containers that live in the 'van with rice, pasta, tea bags, coffee and sugar. As others have said, usually something that can be cooked for an evening meal when we get there quickly and easily, but usually something that will keep, so if we get there and there's a fish and chip van we don't have to cook at all!

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
We just about take everything bar the kitchen sink; we rarely eat out so take enough for the first few days then local shop! We have had a couple of breaks now when we've eaten out so only needed breakfast etc, which is fun but often not that healthy!

Reactions: Beachball
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We take a cool box works on mains /12v we take basic essentials eg milk ,margarine, yogurts , sliced meats, cheese, pop , ready meals , and bread and then top up at a supermarket or local shop .

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts