Preventing flat spots on tyres

blu

Apr 16, 2007
Visit site
Hi Folks.

I visited the dentist yesterday and was flicking through a well known classic car mag in the waiting room,I came accross an article on preparing your classic car for winter storage which recomended you inflate the tyres to the maximum psi stated on the sidewall to prevent flat spots then deflate before use again.I suppose i can see some sort of logic there and wondered about the same for caravans.What does everyone think.

Regards

Sean

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The subject of flat spots comes up quite regularly.

There are a number of things you can do, remove the wheels and fit "Winter Wheels", or an old set of wheels and tyres.

Or raise the van on axle stands to take the weight off the tyres and axle.

Inflating to max sidewall pressure really does not do much, you still have a small flat spot.

However, with all the talk about the subject I have yet to meet anyone who has actually suffered flat spots on caravan tyres.

Going back to raising the van on stands, this is the best option for the van as it allows the axle suspension rubbers to rest and regain their original setting, reducing axle suspension wear.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Flat spots are only a ride comfort issue during the first few hundred yards of driving after an extended period of rest. After a short while the flat spots will iron themselves out and disappear again.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
What concerns me are those people with the Alko thru the wheel lock - have only about 4 places they can secure the lock putting

the weight of the caravan on excactly 4 places each time. Unless the have the wheel with lots of spokes which give u about

6 or 7 spots to place the lock.

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
That's why mine is on adjustable axle stands, its locked & secure & off the floor, take me about 10 Min's per side,its a job well worth doing.

Sproket.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
The problem i found with axle stands was the lack of fine adjustment, i ended up using concrete blocks, packed with wood on top, with a rubber sheet being the final packer, to prevent any wear to the galvanising finish.

now i just take the wheels off and use wheel stands.

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
Ray

These axle stands are on a screw thread, so you can adjust to what ever size you req,( depending what size you buy ) & the large foot prevents sinking, car axle stands have limited adjustment.

Sproket.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts