Price of sites

Page 4 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
It's a fairly easy experiment to boil a litre of water using your electric kettle at home. Your domestic gas meter is accurate and you can then repeat the experiment using a saucepan. When you see the amount of energy in each case you can compare the costs. This is not meant to be a scientific experiment where repeatability is required but, a good rough test. Remember that domestic gas costs about 1/4 of the cost of Electricity per kWh. The calorific value of bottled gas is of course different, but the simple experiment will give you a clue. A fridge in a caravan can use 1/2 Kg of gas per day, so it is more expensive than electricity at typical rates.
Now we have changed from a large range with gas hobs and three electric ovens to a smaller gas cooker with all gas apart from the grill the electric usage has noticeably reduced.

Ern

May 23, 2021
Visit site
Now we have changed from a large range with gas hobs and three electric ovens to a smaller gas cooker with all gas apart from the grill the electric usage has noticeably reduced.
Yes, as you would expect. Comparing 3 large with one small oven. Changing from a gas hob to an induction hob is our most recent change, and it's a no-brainer.

Reactions: Jcloughie
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Yes, as you would expect. Comparing 3 large with one small oven. Changing from a gas hob to an induction hob is our most recent change, and it's a no-brainer.

We did the same. the induction is superb. But the price variation is enormous.

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The gas cooker has a 71 litre gas oven, plus a smaller 35 litre gas oven, or it’s integrated electric grill. Sorry I didn’t make that clear. Plus being modern it is better insulated than the range cooker. We had a new kitchen also fitted into our daughters house and her electric bill has gone down induction hob, modern twin high level ovens, LED down lighters and a modern integral fridge freezer to replace her American style one. She’s actually still in credit by £125 which is a first in January.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
The gas cooker has a 71 litre gas oven, plus a smaller 35 litre gas oven, or it’s integrated electric grill. Sorry I didn’t make that clear. Plus being modern it is better insulated than the range cooker. We had a new kitchen also fitted into our daughters house and her electric bill has gone down induction hob, modern twin high level ovens, LED down lighters and a modern integral fridge freezer to replace her American style one. She’s actually still in credit by £125 which is a first in January.

They should use whatever that insulation is in caravans. Our new oven rises to 485 C for the cleaning function. The door actually locks for safety. But it contains the heat very well. Much better than our pervious oven which leaked heat into the cupboard it is built into at 200 C.

John

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Just quick note in case those affected don't know. I would expect there will be some caravanners who nay have had a pacemaker. If you have one you should not get within about 750mm of a working induction hob. The strong magnetic pulses from the hob have been known to interfere with the correct operation of some pace makers.

Just noticed Roger L's comment above.

Reactions: Ern
Mar 29, 2021
Visit site
Just quick note in case those affected don't know. I would expect there will be some caravanners who nay have had a pacemaker. If you have one you should not get within about 750mm of a working induction hob. The strong magnetic pulses from the hob have been known to interfere with the correct operation of some pace makers.

Just noticed Roger L's comment above.
I didnt know this.
We have had induction hobs for a couple of years, the new house we paid extra for extras! which included an upgrade to the hob to a glass induction, and we have a portable one in the caravan awning for those more steaming pans.

A point worth remembering.

Mar 29, 2021
Visit site
As far as sites and prices, thankfully we have a varied range of fees to accommodate hopefully everyone, from 5 unit only to the all singing and dancing ones. Actually I mean that as in, you sing and dance if you want!😁

Wifey and I are lucky in a way that at this point in our working lives we have zero debt and a high disposable income, this has not always been the case, many years ago with two young children, no work for 10 months we could have claimed to be in poverty, the recession of the 1980's as such our holidays have been varied, very much tho under canvas then to a Caravan, with a few holiday home rentals thrown in once finances improved.

We love our caravan, its simply joyous to be in and around it, the smell of the awning when the rays of the sun catch it on those lovely warm afternoons, its utterly unique to us all and invokes memories of holidays under canvas when with the then three kids and a dog, latterly we tented.

So throughout the years we have used low priced sites, to some higher end ones, we"ve enjoyed them all no matter the cost.
When we used the caravan it was always location before cost, one year we rejoined the CAMC paid the highest tariff in the area, a choice of three sites in February, to use their site to be only utterly disappointed with it, and for balance as of today the last commercial site we used, left 1 week ago, also charged top rates for the area and was a dump.
So another aspect of price is the more expensive is not necessarily the best

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Is that for heart reasons or would you naturally keep away from any type of hob. 🥴

John
The warning Roger and I have alerted you to, only applies to people with pacemakers. If you don't have a pacemaker then there is no inherent danger. This all assumes the induction heater complies with the relevant UK standards regards RFI and EMP emissions.

The reason pacemakers may be vulnerable is the fact they have active electronic circuitry, and they use induction loop technology to enable the medics to monitor its functions. Its this circuitry that might be triggered or inhibited by a nearby induction heater. The risk is low becasue there are standards relating to the ability of the pacemaker to resist accidental exposure to such signals, but the risk is still there, and for some people that could be a fatal risk.

But if you don't have a pacemaker then there is nothing to worry about.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We bought a Rangemaster induction stove and also an air fryer. The air fryer gets used most of the time. That along with the Eco washing machine, fridge and unfortunately also the so called Eco tumble drier. T
he combination seems to have reduced our consumption considerably although we still have a 10 year old dish washer. However the newer items came at a cost as the more Eco a unit is, the more expensive!
However the above has nothing to do with price on sites, but the portable induction hob is of interest as never knew there was such a thing. I wonder if a 2000w unit would use less electric than the current electric hot plate in the caravan or whether an air fryer will suffice?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I found this american website

in it is says
Just how energy efficient are induction cooktops?
Research clearly shows that induction cooktops are more energy efficient: gas cooktops are about 40 percent efficient; electric-coil and standard smooth-top electric cooktops are about 74 percent efficient, and induction cooktops are 84 percent efficient

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
The warning Roger and I have alerted you to, only applies to people with pacemakers. If you don't have a pacemaker then there is no inherent danger. This all assumes the induction heater complies with the relevant UK standards regards RFI and EMP emissions.

The reason pacemakers may be vulnerable is the fact they have active electronic circuitry, and they use induction loop technology to enable the medics to monitor its functions. Its this circuitry that might be triggered or inhibited by a nearby induction heater. The risk is low becasue there are standards relating to the ability of the pacemaker to resist accidental exposure to such signals, but the risk is still there, and for some people that could be a fatal risk.

??. Strange reply Prof. Did you miss the joke?

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site

People should Read BHF website for more info as there are other common domestic items that should be kept away by a minimum distance.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
My brother had a pacemaker fitted. I know he was well schooled in what to avoid. But nevertheless, it’s good to improve recognition.

John

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts