Price of sites

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I have been looking at a three night stay away sometime in the next two weeks. I looked at the Camping and Caravan Clubs sites at Tavistock, Moreton, Corfe, and CITF Bracelands. The prices respectively for a grass pitch were £15.75, £34.42 ( only electric + grass available, at Moreton), £29.78 and £35.70. Not too bad with Tavistock particularly good value. I then went onto Pitchup and looked at number of their sites which were predominantly farm based or small business sites. Same criteria, a grass pitch no electric, with shower and toilet facilities on the site. What a surprise at the prices some were charging more per night than the CCC for three nights at a time when the schools have gone back, and mid week too. I deliberately kept my three nights away from weekends. I can only surmise that people have been paying the PitchUp prices and more during peak season, although most did cover 4 people whereas the CCC price per person. Makes the CCC very good value. Will now be looking at their CS's.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I hope you get a site where you are looking for a week where we are stopping including two dogs been in the caravan club we got £2 per night = £14 off fully hardstanding service pitch and awning for a week £189 we thought that was good value

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I have been looking at a three night stay away sometime in the next two weeks. I looked at the Camping and Caravan Clubs sites at Tavistock, Moreton, Corfe, and CITF Bracelands. The prices respectively for a grass pitch were £15.75, £34.42 ( only electric + grass available, at Moreton), £29.78 and £35.70. Not too bad with Tavistock particularly good value. I then went onto Pitchup and looked at number of their sites which were predominantly farm based or small business sites. Same criteria, a grass pitch no electric, with shower and toilet facilities on the site. What a surprise at the prices some were charging more per night than the CCC for three nights at a time when the schools have gone back, and mid week too. I deliberately kept my three nights away from weekends. I can only surmise that people have been paying the PitchUp prices and more during peak season, although most did cover 4 people whereas the CCC price per person. Makes the CCC very good value. Will now be looking at their CS's.
We found the opposite and many commercial sites were actually cheaper than the CC sites, but no idea regarding CCC prices.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We found the opposite and many commercial sites were actually cheaper than the CC sites, but no idea regarding CCC prices.
I am no longer a member of CMHC and I doubt the sites on pitchup that I was looking at were your sort of sites. They were predominantly for camping as several didn’t allow the vehicle onto the camping areas. You are given a wheelbarrow. Shock horror. But those that I looked at on Pitchup that did have EHU and hardstandings were predominantly more expensive than CCC sites. But with CCC I benefit from ACR reduction and only only a single person so it’s not an absolute comparison I guess.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I also found UK campsites to be a preferable search site, for my preferences, ie caravan and Cl / CS sites near to pubs. Where we can walk to for a nice lunch, or an evening meal.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I’ve always found U.K. Campsites better than pitch up. You’ll be wanting grass not hard standing?
Yes I just mentioned hardstanding as I had roamed away from my initial remit to find a pitch that provided natures mattress. Are sites on UK Campsites cheaper than pitch up or just more choice and better filters?

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I forgot to mention i am in both clubs and if i produce camping and caravanning club card it would be the same i also like UK Campsite have you got a pitch ?

May 7, 2012
Visit site
A CS has far lower overheads than a full sitewith less facilities and is usually run as a side line so, they can charge less, although some are quite expensive but then offer more than the basics. . It is really a case of what you want from a site and possibly what you can afford but the choice is there.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
CAMC St. Agnes Head is just over £15 per night. No toilet block nor FSP. No problem. The location , like Altnaharra, is the bonus.
CS and CLs vary considerably . Two of my favourites are FSP circa £20-£22 per night.👏👏👏👍

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
Last outing was to a CL near Huntingdon. .....lovely well spaced site.
EHU. ...free WiFi. ... waste water into the hedge by pipe.....no toilet block.... £12/ night.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
CAMC St. Agnes Head is just over £15 per night. No toilet block nor FSP. No problem. The location , like Altnaharra, is the bonus.
CS and CLs vary considerably . Two of my favourites are FSP circa £20-£22 per night.👏👏👏👍
DD Have a nice time ;)

Ern

May 23, 2021
Visit site
We use almost entirely Caravan Club CL's. We have found this year two distinctive types of CL's. Those who are not really commercially motivated and have kept their prices the same as last year or very small increases, and those who are out for every penny they can get. The best CL's have not been the most expensive.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We use almost entirely Caravan Club CL's. We have found this year two distinctive types of CL's. Those who are not really commercially motivated and have kept their prices the same as last year or very small increases, and those who are out for every penny they can get. The best CL's have not been the most expensive.
We have book Caravan Club CLs next season so far three sites very reasonable price the first one in April 2022 on a hardstanding service pitch including electrics , porch ,awning, & dogs Toilet block/Showers per night £18

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Unfortunately even those that are not commercially motivated will need to increase their prices sharply due to the 50% increase in cost of electric and gas.

Ern

May 23, 2021
Visit site
Unfortunately even those that are not commercially motivated will need to increase their prices sharply due to the 50% increase in cost of electric and gas.

It hasn't actually happened yet, and my post was about the CL's we have used this year. If the press hysteria isn't exaggerating as always, I'll eat my hat

Reactions: RossyG
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Wholesale price of gas has gone up by 250% since January 2021, and 70% since August. Glad mine is fixed until April 2023, from earlier this year.

Industry group Oil & Gas UK said wholesale prices for gas had increased by 250% since January - with a 70% rise since August.
The increase has been blamed on several factors, including a cold winter which left stocks lower than usual, high demand for liquefied natural gas from Asia, and lower supplies from other countries. Low winds meaning less renewable energy is being generated and outages at some nuclear stations have also contributed.

Ern

May 23, 2021
Visit site
Wholesale price of gas has gone up by 250% since January 2021, and 70% since August. Glad mine is fixed until April 2023, from earlier this year.

Industry group Oil & Gas UK said wholesale prices for gas had increased by 250% since January - with a 70% rise since August.
The increase has been blamed on several factors, including a cold winter which left stocks lower than usual, high demand for liquefied natural gas from Asia, and lower supplies from other countries. Low winds meaning less renewable energy is being generated and outages at some nuclear stations have also contributed.
The 250% figure being quoted by the usual gutter press operators is intended to be a headline grabber. The figure is a spot price increase in Wholesale gas price. Retail prices increases are capped at 12%. As I said, gutter press - alarming headline figure. Going back to the thread OP, this isn't a valid reason for campsites to have increased their prices this year to date.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The 250% figure being quoted by the usual gutter press operators is intended to be a headline grabber. The figure is a spot price increase in Wholesale gas price. Retail prices increases are capped at 12%. As I said, gutter press - alarming headline figure. Going back to the thread OP, this isn't a valid reason for campsites to have increased their prices this year to date.
Sorry but just because retail prices are capped by OFGEM you can’t ignore the increase in wholesale price rises. Capping retail leads to the sellers loosing money and a downturn in profits which hits investment, shareholder dividends many of which are pension funds too. It’s a bizarre attempt to court favour with the consumers at the detriment of the suppliers of gas. It’s interfering with the market, why not just go back and nationalise the commodity?

I would hardly define the rise as a spot increase, or Bloomberg as “ gutter press”

067B1194-43BB-4A2D-9B7C-6AF376B2CAE5.jpeg

Ern

May 23, 2021
Visit site
Well, let's see what happens over the winter. This time next year, we can compare notes. Any impact of energy costs on caravan sites will be factored in for the 2022 season. I think there will be a general move to some sort of restriction or metering of electric on sites because of concerns of operators.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Well, let's see what happens over the winter. This time next year, we can compare notes. Any impact of energy costs on caravan sites will be factored in for the 2022 season. I think there will be a general move to some sort of restriction or metering of electric on sites because of concerns of operators.
There’s nothing to compare. My post #20 was just a reply to the post quoted and I was pointing out that wholesale prices have gone up by 250% since January 2021. I made no mention of energy prices on sites now or in the future. So I’m of the view that what will be will be. My domestic energy is capped until April 2023 on a contract I took out earlier this year with British Gas. So hopefully by then some normality will have returned to the global markets.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts