Prices for camping gas refills?

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi evryone, i have one orange gas bottle in the caravan at the mo as my second one has just ran out, i am looking for somewhere where i can get a refill cheaply, i live at newcastle and i am just wondering does anyone recomend a place to go? Thanks

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi
I am slightly confussed thouhgh by you headline, Camping Gas is not a brand I am familiar with, there is a similar brand name - Camping Gaz, but as far as I know they use blue bottles.

Your reference to orange bottles suggests you may be using Propane LPG - there is nothing wrong with that it does mean you will be fine in winter as the gas contines to work below 0C unlike Butane which is fine for spring summer and autumn but not so good for winter when temperature fall to 5C or below
Look in the yellow pages for suppliers, Its worth ringing round and dont forget that Builders merchants often supply LPG and may be cheaper than caravans or camping dealers.

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
hi sorry im getting confused with the different gases, i have an orange cyclinder so thats the one ill be looking for as will be using the caravan in winter. Didnt think of builder merchants.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi again,
Gas is something you must get right for your safety. Its not difficult provided you are careful.
LPG (Liquefied Petroleum Gas) is available from several different suppliers or brands. Each supplier has their own stock of bottles you rent from them. When you purchase a refill, you are only buying the gas – not the bottle. You have to exchange the empty bottle for a full one. Consequently, as Inner Zone says you need to know which brand of gas you are using as you will only be able to exchange a refill from a dealer of that brand.
You can rent a bottle from another brand, but you will be expected to pay a deposit on top of the cost of the refill. The most common brand that is available all over the UK is Calor Gas, there are other brands like BP and Shell, but they tend to have either fewer outlets. There are also many local brands that are only available in a local area.
So you need to know what brand of bottled gas you have, but also which type of gas. LPG is basically available in two types Butane and Propane. They are similar in many ways and you can use either type of gas in caravans, but you cannot simply change from one type to the other without making some adjustments. Butane and Propane bottles look similar but the connections are different.
To change-over you need to change the connection pipe work on the caravan. If you have an older caravan, then you will need to change the pressure regulator that connects to the gas bottle, but if you have a more recent caravan then you will need to change the short length of high pressure pipe (Called a Pigtail) that connects to the LPG bottle.
LPG gas bottle need to be able to grab heat from the air around them to make then work so Butane gas is fine for use in air temperatures above 5C Below that temperature the bottles cannot produce enough gas By comparison Propane bottles will continue to work in temperatures down to -30C If you are anticipating winter caravanning the Propane is the gas for you. You can use Propane all year round here in the UK. Do not wrap then up to keep them warm - it dosent work, in fact they will get colder and stop working sooner.

I suggested checking builders merchants, they will usually only sell Propane, as it is the most practical gas for builders and roofers. Butane is only usually available from caravan and camping shops.

Gas safety
Changing bottles on a like for like basis is simple and relatively easy, But unless you are fully gas competent I suggest any other changes (e.g. Butane to Propane or Vice Versa) refer the work to a gas fitter who can check the work has been safely carried out.

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
well what can i say, im learning as i go! i have a propane gas bottle, its a calgor orange. 4.5kgs, so i gather that is the best one to use. I am hoping to use the caravan as much as possible as thats why i have it. i have changed a gas bottle in the caravan which wasnt too hard to do. I have only done it once tho so my need to remeber what to do. BUT i know the gas bottle which is connected at the mo is full so no worries there.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Calgor Gas is an Canadian brand of gas and probably unavailable here. I assume that it a Calor gas cylinder that connects to system in the caravan via a threaded nut that screws onto the gas cylinder. I am a bit puzzled though as normally the calor gas propane cylinder is red, not orange. If it is a Calor gas cylinder, expect to pay about £20 for a 6kg refill. I would also recommend that you change to a 6kg bottle as per kg it is cheaper to refill than a 4.5kg bottle. Also lasts longer and will fit in the front locker on the caravan.

Aug 4, 2005
Visit site
Mr Bell said:
well what can i say, im learning as i go! i have a propane gas bottle, its a calgor orange. 4.5kgs, so i gather that is the best one to use. I am hoping to use the caravan as much as possible as thats why i have it. i have changed a gas bottle in the caravan which wasnt too hard to do. I have only done it once tho so my need to remeber what to do. BUT i know the gas bottle which is connected at the mo is full so no worries there.

Hi,
Personally I'd never heard of "calgor" so out of curiosity I googled it and still could gain no info. Just wondering if it was a typo and you really mean calor? Having said that, to the best of my knowledge, calor cylinders only come in red (propane) or blue (butane) not orange.
Gas and it's associated connectors,couplings etc is definitely something you want to get right. Is there no one in your area you know who has caravan experience that would confirm for you exactly what cylinder you have? Even a visit to your local caravan dealer who sells gas cylinders might be informative.
I know you say the one you have is full so "no worries there" but Sod's Law says that will run out at the most inconvenient time and place. If you need to renew your gas cylinders for ones of a make that are more readily available can I suggest you give consideration to the likes of calorlite - readily available, much lighter in weight (help with the nose weight problem you mention elsewhere) they are a couple of pounds more expensive for refills, but are, in my opinion, worth it. They only come in propane 6kg size, if my memory serves me right a full cylinder weighs in at around 10.2kg.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello mr Bell,

As there is some uncertanty aboout what you have, and unless you can confim it as a spelling or typo mistake, then I have to advise from a safety point of view that you arrange to have an LPG certified fitter check over your caravan.

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
Surfer said:
Calgor Gas is an Canadian brand of gas and probably unavailable here. I assume that it a Calor gas cylinder that connects to system in the caravan via a threaded nut that screws onto the gas cylinder. I am a bit puzzled though as normally the calor gas propane cylinder is red, not orange. If it is a Calor gas cylinder, expect to pay about £20 for a 6kg refill. I would also recommend that you change to a 6kg bottle as per kg it is cheaper to refill than a 4.5kg bottle. Also lasts longer and will fit in the front locker on the caravan.
Yeah sorry its a calor, sorry typing error, its red not orange and yes its has a threaded nut that screws on the gas cyclinder. I have a 4.5kg as it makes the noise weight lighter, if i start getting bigger bottles it will decrease the amount i can put on the front of the caravan! and increase the weight on the nose!
im really sorry about the typing erroe, fingures going faster than brain.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Just in case you haven't found out already, the screwthred of the Calor (and other propane) bottles is left hand thread i.e. when changing cylinders you need to unscrew the connection in the direction opposite to that you may expect. Conversely, when attatching the regulator or tube as the case may be, you turn (and tighten ) the nut again in the oppoiste direction you may have expected.
I've seen a number of folk desperately trying to remove the connection but trying to turn the spanner as if for right hand thread and getting very upset when they made no progress.

Nov 5, 2006
Visit site
Calor also do a light weight(Calorlite) 6kg propane bottle which comes in at @10kg total weight this is probably as light or lighter than your 4.5 kg steel bottle.
It is usually a direct swap for any Calor bottle but from a proper Calor depot

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
TD42 said:
Calor also do a light weight(Calorlite) 6kg propane bottle which comes in at @10kg total weight this is probably as light or lighter than your 4.5 kg steel bottle.
I dont understand?? i thought the bottle i have weighs 4.5kg?? how does a 6kg bottle weigh 10kg?? and how does that weigh less then what i have? im confused.

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
Mr Bell said:
TD42 said:
I dont understand?? i thought the bottle i have weighs 4.5kg?? how does a 6kg bottle weigh 10kg?? and how does that weigh less then what i have? im confused.

A Calor Gas CalorLight 6kg Gas Cylinder is made from lightweight steel,
the CalorLite propane cylinder is 49.7% lighter than the standard Calor 6kg cylinder and includes the Gas Trac gauge
Approx. Total Weight: 10.52kg
Approx. Content Weight: 6kg
Approx. Tare Weight: 4.52kg
Approx. Height: 487mm
Approx. Diameter: 246mm
The 3.9kg cylinder that you allready have will weigh in the region of 9.6 kg when full
The photo's below are of my calor light bottle,
Most bottles have there tare weight stamped on the plate near to the outlet valve
This bottle is stamped with it on the base ring.
Caravanaccesories116.jpg
Caravanaccesories115.jpg
Caravanaccesories117.jpg

So in here when full is 6kg of propane & it will weigh approx 10.42kg
When it's all used it will weigh 4.42kg
simplesmeerkat.jpg

But i think you realy need to read this about using propane safely

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Mr Bell,

I hope you wont take this the wrong way. You have certainly asked a lot of questions recently and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that, that is one of the functions of the forum, and I'm glad that some of us have been able to offer the benefit of our wisdom adn experience, but it seems most of the advice we have been able to give has alerted you to another aspect of the hobby you had not previously been aware.

This concerns me, and I am left wondering what other aspects of using and owning a caravan you may have overlooked. We can only respond to the points you raise, we can't see or guess about any other issues you may not be aware of.

I am going to suggest that you look around your neighbours, to see if any of them are caravanner's. If they are, make contact and explain that you are a new caravanner and uncertain about some aspects of the hobby and could they give your out fit a quick look to see if there's anything you've missed. I'm pretty sure that if you ask they will be prepared to help you, as caravanner,s are generally a friendly bunch and are only too pleased to help.

Another possibility is to see if you can find a local caravan owners club, Most brands have an owners club, and by joining you may find there are other helpful owners in your locality. Similarly with certain makes of car, or perhaps your work place may have a group. They can offer valuable support to new members.

I'm perfectly happy to continue to answer your questions on the forum, but I do sense you need some experienced help close to hand.

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi theses are the only questions i have about caravaning as i know the rest, i am new to it all but i have gained experiance and i do know my way around a caravan. I used to do caravan holidays with my parents when i was little in it in my blood. I just didnt know about certain parts which i do now and its great that people on here can give me advice on it.

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
Sproket said:
Mr Bell said:
TD42 said:

A Calor Gas CalorLight 6kg Gas Cylinder is made from lightweight steel,
the CalorLite propane cylinder is 49.7% lighter than the standard Calor 6kg cylinder and includes the Gas Trac gauge
Approx. Total Weight: 10.52kg
Approx. Content Weight: 6kg
Approx. Tare Weight: 4.52kg
Approx. Height: 487mm
Approx. Diameter: 246mm
The 3.9kg cylinder that you allready have will weigh in the region of 9.6 kg when full
The photo's below are of my calor light bottle,
Most bottles have there tare weight stamped on the plate near to the outlet valve
This bottle is stamped with it on the base ring.
Caravanaccesories116.jpg
Caravanaccesories115.jpg
Caravanaccesories117.jpg

So in here when full is 6kg of propane & it will weigh approx 10.42kg
When it's all used it will weigh 4.42kg
simplesmeerkat.jpg

But i think you realy need to read this about using propane safely

Thanks for that, im going to see if i can get a calor light 6kg as that would be very helpful and means have more gas. We dont use the gas that much as its only used for cooking, everything else is run off electrics.
Thanks for this its a great help!!

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
hi again, been looking at getting a calor light 6kg for my caravan and seems light they are in high demand, they seem to be very hard to get a hold of. Im going to keep trying but looks like i am not going to be able to get one.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Mr Bell said:
hi again, been looking at getting a calor light 6kg for my caravan and seems light they are in high demand, they seem to be very hard to get a hold of. Im going to keep trying but looks like i am not going to be able to get one.
They are difficult to get hold of but not impossible and worth the wait. You may have to pay a small deposit. My wife can easily lift the ligtweight propane bottle which says it all as it she is not a big person by any stretch of the imagination. Our local dealer in Worcester has some in supply.

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
Mr Bell said:

Have you tried on here to find a stockist ?
They are advertising them on here ....
Sometimes its worth travelling to get the item from a calor main stockist.

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
good question i cant remeber what the regulator is, my dad had used it so i just used it. I know there are different ones but i dont know much about them in the sence what the differences are?

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
Follow me
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
1408163640_670eacaa1c.jpg

Ah ! that's better
>
>
>
Now what was the question

Mr Bell said:
good question i cant remeber what the regulator is, my dad had used it so i just used it. I know there are different ones but i dont know much about them in the sence what the differences are?

Mr Bell said:

How old is the van that you have ?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts