Private number plate

Page 3 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 14, 2005
jondogoescaravanning.com
This is the first number plate I ever bought. It's an Irish plate from the BXI series. I hadn't long bought my first Citroen - a BX-TZDTurbo, so the number plate fitted well. In those days no one bothered about spacing. The bloke adorning the bonnet is a 30-year younger edition of myself, having a coffee break south of Dijon. The last time I checked, the vehicle still exists, although I sold it in 1998.

20230128_145802.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
This is the first number plate I ever bought. It's an Irish plate from the BXI series. I hadn't long bought my first Citroen - a BX-TZDTurbo, so the number plate fitted well. In those days no one bothered about spacing. The bloke adorning the bonnet is a 30-year younger edition of myself, having a coffee break south of Dijon. The last time I checked, the vehicle still exists.

View attachment 4267
I had a BX 16 petrol estate which followed a rubbish Volvo 245 estate. The difference in reliability and running costs was chalk and cheese. The BX whilst a bit rattley was a brilliant car

Aug 24, 2020
Visit site
When the DVLA released the "G" suffix plates for sale (this was in the late 90's when the surplus G suffixes were put up for sale) I looked at buying "G4RYB" but as I had a company car at the time it would have just sat in the drawer on a retention certificate, the cost then was £3,500.
The whole series G - single digit - three letters were expensive, partly because they were the same format as ham radio callsigns and DVLA thought hams would want their callsign on their number plate.

I might have gone for it but my callsign is G0TLG and you can't have number plates with a single digit zero. I'm also entitled to use the callsign G7LSH but nobody in the ham radio world knows me by that, and it's no longer available anyway :(

Jul 19, 2021
Visit site
My parents bought me a personal plate for my 21st, my 3 initials and 3 numbers. Cost them less than £1000 34 years ago.
Valued at around £14000 now. No way would I pay that for a reg plate! (and doubt it would sell for that much)

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I had a friend that had a. " Cherished " number plate, had it on several of his cars over the years, then transferred it to his motor bike. He then wanted it changed to his next car, DVLA , Computer says NO , apparently at that time it was not allowed.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts