Problem with mains circuit breaker

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
I've read this thread with interest, I've wired complete houses and business premises in the past. I have the benefit of having a fully qualified, registered and insured etc Electician as my best friend who checks and tests all I've ever done and then throws the switch for me, Including fitting mains power to caravans a few years back.

The advice here is good, but lets be fair!My own and others know that when quoted for a job such as an electrical problem, the quote is normally accompanied by the sucking in of breath through teeth and the oohs aghs and buts.

I and many other know that even a simple fault found in a few minutes will often result in a sizeable bill for next to no work done!

A friend paid a large bill to caravan servicer for an electical problem to be sorted last year. The problem was back all through the summer. I found that corrosion on the earthing point and a loose fixing was the cause. The wire under the van could move when the van was towed! The dealer of couse was not interested!

For dealing with mains electric at home or in the van one of these Fluke Volt Alert gadgets is a must have gadget. It glows red when 240 volts is present and moving it around a cable you can even find the side the live wire is on.

http://www.jmwlimited.co.uk/Sales Electrical Testing Fluke Volt Alert.htm
Screwfix and the like sell even cheaper versions much the same.

Even those with the most basic of experience can find where 200+ volts are present and elliminate or exclude possible faults in safety!

Safety must allways come first with electric and gas. But checking the basics yourself before landing a sizeable bill is well worth while in my book.

I like many also carry a basic multimeter with audible beeper for testing circuits and voltage on the vans 12 volt circuits.

Over twenty years of vanning I guess I've saved a few weeks of campsite fees using a little common sense combined with safety and a process of simple ellimination.

Most caravans useage is limited, the electrical fixing are though subject to damp and vibration unlike household fittings.

So lets get a grip and if it doesn't work, diconnect bulbs and appliances and work through the system before you line somebody elses pockets for what can be a very simple problem ;-)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Once again the reply by John L to Roger and Ray is totaly correct and factual.

I do know of one caravan dealer (Lowdhams) that have a fully qualified electrician on the books, this company is one of the few that are registered with the NICEIC,in fact it is the same area engineer that vist,s him for annual assesment and requalification that vist,s myself.

Try a vist to my professional body,s web site www.niceic.org.uk Electrical Work and full certification (to cover ones backside) is not that simple. GS

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
My friend is NICEIC registered and in hhis field he is the only company we know of in his business that has rhat status.

We have a basic wage for many at around 5 - 6 pound an hour, a lot of families where one partmer works to help provide holidays, reasonable car or pay for the families caravan and then what can be a simple electrical fault is quoted at

Dec 19, 2005
Visit site
I'm an NICEIC electrician, I try to use professional blinkers on holiday, I used to spend time in restaurants looking at the lighting etc...

There has been quite a lot of talk on this site of electrical problems (I've been trolling through old threads) I am increasingly worried at the 'iffy' additions people will make and the cavalier attitude towards electricity. Our caravans are 'probably' the most dangerous places you will use 240 (well 230 if we're going to be EU PC). You in a wet grassy field in all weathers rain and shine using as much current as you can!

Now RCD's do fail as do MCB's. I bet your dealer does not have the facility to test them There is also an RCD protecting the EHU, but these fail too.

Take my 1996 Swift, it's got a sealed ESM module with the charger, RCD and MCB's yes the test button on the RCD works but this is only a 'dead short' test. Being as I don't 'like' Hagar components how confident can I be certain that it will trip at it's rated 30ma?

I looked at a 2 year old caravan for a friend, I did a test on the RCD, the button worked but it did not trip until 80ma, almost 3 times the correct rating! And most would have become progressively lethargic until it would not trip at all!

There are some basic tests that can be carried out without removal or disassembly of any part of the caravan :-

Ramp test of RCD: Tests at what point the RCD operates, it could fail, by being over or under sensitive. A ramp test introduces fault current in steps until the rcd trips or fails to trip at the correct rating (or too early).

Trip speed: If it does trip is it fast enough to stop a fatal electric shock or fire?

Earth loop impedance test: Now this is tricky as your also testing the point your connected to, plus the hook up cable, but using your hook up cable to a known source you can take a measurement of the the quality of the earth within the caravan. This is particularly important as you want the earth cable to be the the first choice to ground for fault current....not you

So much equipment is used outside or within reach of water within the caravan that correctly operating RCD's are critical to your safety. Also with all the transit movement in a caravan any fault within the wiring of the caravan that could cause fire will be picked up early by the RCD.

So having ranted on, I'm willing to do something about it!......

If anyone would like a free informal test on their caravan, I would be happy to oblige. You would just need to get it to me (5 mins from J2,M40 or J7,M4). Contributions to caravan drinks cabinet would be gratefully received

Best to email me via davieselectrical@hotmail.com

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I'm an NICEIC electrician, I try to use professional blinkers on holiday, I used to spend time in restaurants looking at the lighting etc...

There has been quite a lot of talk on this site of electrical problems (I've been trolling through old threads) I am increasingly worried at the 'iffy' additions people will make and the cavalier attitude towards electricity. Our caravans are 'probably' the most dangerous places you will use 240 (well 230 if we're going to be EU PC). You in a wet grassy field in all weathers rain and shine using as much current as you can!

Now RCD's do fail as do MCB's. I bet your dealer does not have the facility to test them There is also an RCD protecting the EHU, but these fail too.

Take my 1996 Swift, it's got a sealed ESM module with the charger, RCD and MCB's yes the test button on the RCD works but this is only a 'dead short' test. Being as I don't 'like' Hagar components how confident can I be certain that it will trip at it's rated 30ma?

I looked at a 2 year old caravan for a friend, I did a test on the RCD, the button worked but it did not trip until 80ma, almost 3 times the correct rating! And most would have become progressively lethargic until it would not trip at all!

There are some basic tests that can be carried out without removal or disassembly of any part of the caravan :-

Ramp test of RCD: Tests at what point the RCD operates, it could fail, by being over or under sensitive. A ramp test introduces fault current in steps until the rcd trips or fails to trip at the correct rating (or too early).

Trip speed: If it does trip is it fast enough to stop a fatal electric shock or fire?

Earth loop impedance test: Now this is tricky as your also testing the point your connected to, plus the hook up cable, but using your hook up cable to a known source you can take a measurement of the the quality of the earth within the caravan. This is particularly important as you want the earth cable to be the the first choice to ground for fault current....not you

So much equipment is used outside or within reach of water within the caravan that correctly operating RCD's are critical to your safety. Also with all the transit movement in a caravan any fault within the wiring of the caravan that could cause fire will be picked up early by the RCD.

So having ranted on, I'm willing to do something about it!......

If anyone would like a free informal test on their caravan, I would be happy to oblige. You would just need to get it to me (5 mins from J2,M40 or J7,M4). Contributions to caravan drinks cabinet would be gratefully received

Best to email me via davieselectrical@hotmail.com
Andrew When you refer to the ramp test there are not many Rcd testers with this facility bet you have a Alaphtec easytest? good bit of kit.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts