Problems with water system

Ads

Oct 23, 2017
Visit site
Hi , This is an ongoing problem we’re having with our 1992 Abi ace globetrotter but I still haven’t managed to sort it , we’ve been having problems with the kitchen taps in particular needing the washers changing since we got the van . This year doing the regular checks before going away we found one the tails for the pipe had come off , so changed them as a pair ( thinking we wouldn’t need to do anything else while we’re away )
The first 2 weeks we’re ok then they started leaking again - up to this point all taps had been working ok even the bathroom ones. So took the middles out found one split and a tear in another , so changed all of them. After that when you turn on the cold tap in bathroom the kitchen tap starts going as well , then a drip started in the kitchen which was emptying the hot water tank. Took the middle out of hot tap , both seals ok , took middles out of cold to find the angled one split .
So changed all the seals again to find it’s still dripping. So as it’s the last couple of days we’ll turn the pump of when not in use.
So , has anyone had similar ? Would I be better of changing taps for newer types ( bearing in mind these were new taps again this year) any ideas ?

Thanks , Ads

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
Replace with standard domestic taps from the likes of Screw fix, vastly cheaper than specific "caravan" taps. You  might need adapters to enable the caravan plumbing to be connected to the taps (different pipe sizing)

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Mr. Plodd's suggestion will not work if you don't have a pressurised system. However, you can convert it into one with a pressure switch and a damper. Plenty of info with a Google search.

John

Reactions: Dustydog
Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
Mr. Plodd's suggestion will not work if you don't have a pressurised system. However, you can convert it into one with a pressure switch and a damper. Plenty of info with a Google search.

John
If the hot tap is constantly dripping that suggests to me that it must be a pressurised system rather than a microswitch one.
My reasoning being a microswitch system requires the switch on the tap to be closed in order to energise the pump, that then puts pressure into the system to make the tap drip. No pressure equals no drip!

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
If the hot tap is constantly dripping that suggests to me that it must be a pressurised system rather than a microswitch one.
My reasoning being a microswitch system requires the switch on the tap to be closed in order to energise the pump, that then puts pressure into the system to make the tap drip. No pressure equals no drip!
Unless a tap switch is in the on position.

John

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Even with a switched tap system, the water heater still has a non return valve on its cold water input pipe, so as the heater warms the water in its tank, it expands, and will raise the pressure of the hot side above that of the cold.

The expansion the water and the air cap in the heater can cause hot taps to drip if they're not fully closed.

As for Ads problem, it seems you have been unfortunate with the taps and repairs you have done. Most caravanner's do not have these problems, which raises the fact that either you have had faulty parts, or perhaps your repair methods are not quite right. Certainly using domestic products is a solution, but clearly there is some thing wrong with the ones you have, an perhaps you might need to consult with a caravan fitter.

Reactions: Jcloughie

Ads

Oct 23, 2017
Visit site
Hi ,
Just posted this in an earlier post about same problem that I posted back in 2019 which I thought was this one , anyway ongoing since them
The micro switches are in the taps under the top cover/handle - see pic - these are like the ones in our kitchen area

Comet_dual_Tap-300x270.jpgs-l1600.jpg

The seal that keeps leaking is the diagonal one on the spindle , it starts to split then breaks all together. The pump is the one that came with the caravan that plugs in outside by filter.

Not sure what to do anymore as while we were away for the 4 wks. in august I changed the seals at least 3 times that I can remember. Anyone ?

Thanks , Adam

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Seals will wear out eventually, but it does seem your experience is uncommon, when a caravanner needs to change a seal they usually manage and get years more service from the new seal, so why you are having such problems is a mystery.

Perhaps the taps are damaged in some way? Or perhaps your not following the manufacturers instructions fully when your changing the seals? These are two things that we cannot check or verify through a forum. Have you had the system checked by a dealer?

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Ads,
It is not uncommon for the stationary parts of the tap to wear out. No matter how many times the washers or cartridges are changed if the tap body is worn , they will fail prematurely.
New taps for you are not expensive and will solve your long term problem

Ads

Oct 23, 2017
Visit site
I understand that seals will wear out but I'm having replace the mixer taps in the kitchen sink virtually every year and then the seals after a couple of weeks use on top of that. There are no manufacturers instructions for changing the seals on comet novo/nova tap that I've been able to find. As far as I'm aware the spindle pushes into the tap body until it 'clicks' into position.

Thanks , Adam

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I understand that seals will wear out but I'm having replace the mixer taps in the kitchen sink virtually every year and then the seals after a couple of weeks use on top of that. There are no manufacturers instructions for changing the seals on comet novo/nova tap that I've been able to find. As far as I'm aware the spindle pushes into the tap body until it 'clicks' into position.

Thanks , Adam
Ok. Have you contacted the Seller and Manufacturer? The taps should not fail so soon. Sounds like a manufacturing defect?

Reactions: ProfJohnL

Ads

Oct 23, 2017
Visit site
They've been bought from different places , eBay , Jacksons , and somewhere in Cornwall onetime. I can't see all of them being bad just can't understand why they keep going , like I said the last ones were bought and fitted about a week before we went away

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
As I hope you can gather forum contributors are also unable to understand what is causing your repeated system failures. Something must be causing them, but becasue we are remote we cannot see or touch the equipment to ascertain the cause.

You really need to have it looked at by a good fitter, who hopefully might be able see what is causing the failures.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I wonder if you or one of the family are simply over tightening when turning the taps off. Caravan taps are delicate compared to the domestic variety.

Reactions: ProfJohnL
Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
I see this has been an ongoing problem since at least 4 years ago with frequent replacements of the complete unit or the seals. So like others I am at a loss to understand why! Maybe you could consider fitting an entirely different tap - maybe a modern metal monobloc type using one of the existing holes in the bench and concealing the other hole? Your current taps were the bread and butter of fittings in many caravans of that era and as far as I recall were at risk of winter frost damage but otherwise fairly reliable.

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Do any of the monobloc type come with micro switches ?
Yes just google ‘microswitched monobloc caravan tap’ and you will see many options. Given your ongoing issues I would read the specs to ensure a brass chromed tap rather than plastic with a chrome finish.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts