Progress and Hiccoughs on Caravan resealing project

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
:) Hi Everyone - Particular thanks to all those folks who advised me on resealing my Avondale Landranger.

I've now finished approximately 50% of the van and I'm get more expert and less messy with the mastic gun. I've been using paperbacked mastic tape supplemented with additional mastic from the gun when necessary. It is, as I was warned tedious and messy. It's very satisfying, however, to see the work progressing and I'm saving about £900 on the Dealer quoted price!! My recent redundancy at least gives me plenty of time. I'm being assisted by my wife and 2 sons when they are free!!

A couple of hiccoughs in the process have been:-

(1) Corroded screws - why, oh, why didn't Avondale use stainless steel or other non-rusting screws to fix the awning and other seal rails. I've managed to get out most of the screws but with difficulty in places. I'm just wondering if anyone has any good tips on removing really rusted-in screws. They WERE posidrive type heads. I've tried drilling them out but that seems to take an AGE just to drill of the heads, with a powerful drill and new bit, let, alone further. I've, also, tried filing off the heads which was a little quicker but hard to get access. I'm now faced with difficult section of rail where 6 out of 8 screws are rusted-in. Has anyone experience of using Dremel tools I'd wondered if one of those might be worth buying to grind off or re-slot the the scres heads? I'm definitely open to suggestions!!!

(2) I'm short of a piece of rubber lipping that clips onto the awning rail BETWEEN the awning rail and the van. I need about 5 metres of grey. I'm not sure if a piece was missing or if it was thrown away by mistake!! I've tried about 6 dealers in the North West without success. Avondale still have it but only supply through dealers and the ordering times are very vague, to say the least. Obviously I want to get it asap. Can anyone suggest a mail order dealer. (Seals Direct DON'T list it)

Thanks for help in anticipation.

Tim

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Have you thought of just grinding or cutting off the heads of the screws flush and then repositioning a new screw close to it with a new hole?

Jun 25, 2005
Visit site
Have you thought of just grinding or cutting off the heads of the screws flush and then repositioning a new screw close to it with a new hole?
HAVE YOU TRIED BARRONS AT COPEL I GOT WHITE VERY QUICK ,I DO NOT KNOW ABOUT GREY BUT IT MUST BE WORTH A TRY. THE COST OF THE WHITE WAS 29p + VAT A METRE.

GOOD LUCK.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts