Pros and cons of privately selling or part ex?

smd

Mar 21, 2022
Visit site
I'm trying to look into part ex or selling privately, but I'm finding it difficult to choose between the two. A list of pros and cons for each option would be greatly appreciated!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If you are selling, then you will almost certainly get a better price by selling privately, but the converse to that is you have all the hassle of dealing with potential purchasers. A word of advice if you are asked a question about the caravan be honest with your answer, Don't say or promise anything your not certain about.

You might have a problem with a buyer who does not want to pay you, or who tries a cash back trick -

You avoid this with a dealer but yo will be offered less, but then there's les hassle.

It's your choice.

Reactions: JezzerB
Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
I'm trying to look into part ex or selling privately, but I'm finding it difficult to choose between the two. A list of pros and cons for each option would be greatly appreciated!
If you are selling,make sure the money is in your account before releasing the van.If you can move the money right away then do so to another account e.g. a savings account.
There are also a number of advantages of selling the van from your house.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
I've just sold my motorbike privately making £1000 more than the px price. The dealer's advice; look around and price it to sell-don't price it at the same as all of those whose vans which are there and not selling unless yours is significantly better/has more options etc. TAke informative great pics -make sure it's clean and take them in the sun, outside, wheels tyres, upholstery , bathrooms etc , serivce history any thing done to it eg recent brake shoes etc and be truthful-warts and all. I put my bike on ebay and facebook and was indundated with interest and the first who came bought. In my mind I'd set the price a couple of £100 quid lower than my ad and I stuck to that and got it. He did a bank transfer over a cup of tea and rode home after taxing and insuring it; very painless!

Reactions: Beachball
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Sold my caravan last summer and the response via the CMCH free sales site was poor. Then put it on Autotrader at 1000 by 1230 a buyer from Cardiff was giving me a £500 holding deposit in cash after seeing the caravan. Two days later he transferred the balance by online mobile bank transfer and away the van went. I got my asking price which was £1100 more than “ buying agents” were offering.
For the ad I had some good pictures. The documents and service/repair invoices were available to view and most importantly a fresh damp survey carried out by AWS technician.

Still miss it though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Slowtow and JezzerB
Sep 16, 2018
Visit site
Sold our 2014 Bailey privately last spring via autotrader for £3000 more than a dealer was offering. As said before a bank transfer and we moved it instantly to a savings accounts to be sure.

A bit more hassle than via a dealer, but for £3000 I find i can tolerate a fair bit of hassle.

Take great care over the wording, make it detailed, truthful and of course loads of good quality photos.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Sold our 2008 Bailey on preloved put pictures of our stunning caravan and the service history/ damp proof survey all paperwork we had some interest in it straight away and someone wanted to see it at the storage compound he came and paid me a deposit and a week later the rest in cash.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
What with the recent shortage of caravans, i wouldn't have thought selling privately would be a problem.

The only Pro is i guess you'll likely get a fair bit more money.

Cons being hassle of having to deal with people or falling for some scam that deprives you of the caravan. You can understand the popularity of WBAC for selling a car !

May 7, 2012
Visit site
The private sale will normally get you more but needs more work and care. It all depends on if you think the extra work is worth the extra cash.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Sad to say it is the end of and era for us. After forty years we have had to stop towing and with the sale of our present caravan it is now official. Hard to believe that this has come but after the last health scare for me this week we both feel [my wife and I] that the time is right to move onto the next phase in our holiday adventures. Glad to say the van went with no real problems to a private buyer after being advertised for a couple of days, Its now a question of selling the awnig and canopy [both air and only used once] then this part of our life experience will have come to a close and the next one to begin.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Sad to say it is the end of and era for us. After forty years we have had to stop towing and with the sale of our last caravan it is now official. Hard to believe that this has come but after the last health scare for me this week we both feel [my wife and I] that the time is right to move onto the next phase in our holiday adventures. Glad to say the van went with no real problems to a private buyer after being advertised for a couple of days, Its now a question of selling the awnig and canopy [both air and only used once] then this part of our life experience will have come to a close and the next one to begin.
Sorry to hear that such a difficult decision has been forced on you, when your trips were so enjoyable. Glad the sale went through smoothly. Good luck with your new adventures.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Sad to say it is the end of and era for us. After forty years we have had to stop towing and with the sale of our last caravan it is now official. Hard to believe that this has come but after the last health scare for me this week we both feel [my wife and I] that the time is right to move onto the next phase in our holiday adventures. Glad to say the van went with no real problems to a private buyer after being advertised for a couple of days, Its now a question of selling the awnig and canopy [both air and only used once] then this part of our life experience will have come to a close and the next one to begin.
I am confused, I thouht you sold your 2008 Bailey back in March, then you just had it in for the window and battery, the last couple of days.
Oh well sorry to hear your giving up the touring in the van.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I am confused, I thouht you sold your 2008 Bailey back in March, then you just had it in for the window and battery, the last couple of days.
Oh well sorry to hear your giving up the touring in the van.
Hi Hutch i did a couple of things to the caravan i wanted it looking it best for the new owners he came today to pick it up . . at present looking to book a break in South Wales .

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Hi Hutch i did a couple of things to the caravan i wanted it looking it best for the new owners he came today to pick it up . . at present looking to book a break in South Wales .
Where in South Wales are you planning to go. It’s one of our favourite areas whether it be coast or inland. Mind you we are biased as we lived there for four years, and our son lives in the beautiful LLyfni Valley.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Sad to hear that you have had to give up the caravan. We may be following if OH's health does not improve as she had a very bad turn last night, but seems okay this morning.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Where in South Wales are you planning to go. It’s one of our favourite areas whether it be coast or inland. Mind you we are biased as we lived there for four years, and our son lives in the beautiful LLyfni Valley.
Hi Clive at present looking at Carmarthenshire seen a cottage it comes with a enclosed garden and the price looks okay

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Look at welcome cottage this cottage is dog friendly and pets stay free i wondering why it look interesting we are saving £170 (y)
Between 2014-17 when we had no caravan all of our cottage bookings were through the Dogs Trust website link for holidays in Britain and the Republic of Ireland. In fact when our present dog crosses the Rainbow Bridge we will use Dogs Trust bookings again.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Between 2014-17 when we had no caravan all of our cottage bookings were through the Dogs Trust website link for holidays in Britain and the Republic of Ireland. In fact when our present dog crosses the Rainbow Bridge we will use Dogs Trust bookings again.
Hi Clive thanks for the advice about Dogs Trust

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
What with the recent shortage of caravans, i wouldn't have thought selling privately would be a problem.

The only Pro is i guess you'll likely get a fair bit more money.

Cons being hassle of having to deal with people or falling for some scam that deprives you of the caravan. You can understand the popularity of WBAC for selling a car !
When we put our caravan up for sale we had sixteen enquiries and four came to look at we will get back to you one who saw it offered us the full asking price and put a deposit down and couple days later paid the balance in three days it was gone , that quickest sale i have ever done

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts