PROXIMITY ALARMS

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I am not quite sure who the "blighters" are that you seem to want to scare off.

The basic fact about caravans is that if the thieves want it, they WILL have it, regardless of what you have in the way of security.

It is all too easy to get paranoid about what "may" happen and lose the enjoyment of what it is all about.
I have been camping and caravanning for over 50 years and apart from one aquaroll being taken whilst on site, NOTHING has happened to me or my family in any of the sites we have been to.

Sep 7, 2006
Visit site
You have appararently not been to southern Spain and Portugal. The aim is to prevent them damaging the locks rather than pinching the van, thats what insurance is for. The damage and inconvenance is far greater than a complete loss or right off. You have clearly been lucky

May 21, 2008
Visit site
I have one on my works van.
It is too impractical to keep locking and unlocking everytime we want a box of teks. So I had a proximity alarm fitted. Get within 2Mtrs and you get "warning this vehicle is alarmed".
The payback is that we have now got all our tools we had 6 months ago which saved me £300 in hand tools this year. Also you can find out howmany times the farmer is knocking off the odd box of screws and nails etc. The last four jobs caught every farmer with the hand in my til so to speak!!
Now Damian, just imagine the would be burglar wants to use knockout gas before breaking in. A proximity alarm now becomes an excellent piece of kit. This type of burglary is prevelant in europe.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Quote "
Now Damian, just imagine the would be burglar wants to use knockout gas before breaking in........... This type of burglary is prevelant in europe."

There is no data to suport that statement.
The only "stories" you hear about are those that happened to a friend of a friend of a friend twice removed.
It has been proven by the people who actually know about such gases that it unless you have a vast container of the stuff and have the time,and the expert knowledge of how much to use and for how long, the "perpetrators" are more likely to kill someone than just render them unconcious, and there have been no reports of that happening.

I have travelled all around Europe and have never had a problem, much like hundreds of other folk, but then I do not stop in Aires just to save a few euros, a Municipal site much preferred with all the facilities.

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Hearing from friends might be called friendly discussion or perhaps a debate. Or maybe that's called free speach!!
I've only actually met 2 people from the forum personally, but through our conversations here on the forum I have gleaned valuable and constructive advice from people.

So according to you then we shouldn't be believing anything said on the forum or respect the oppinion of others?
smiley-surprised.gif

I was actually quoting from the experience my brother-in-law had in France. The police report even included what gas had been used and a photograph of where the dispensing bottle had been left.

You may well of travelled europe and of been in the 90% of people who have no trouble, but these things do happen to people and you might well find that they are not too willing to discuss their event, especially if it is met with negativity, dismissal and disregard.

I could also debate the car breakdown in France another family had in france this year and the horendous way the family was treated, being left in the middle of no where to find their own way to the nearest B&B. This was while covered by the green breakdown firm who fix 87% of cars at the roadside. But of coarse this wouldn't interest you because you probably were in the lucky 87%.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Leaving my own personal experiences of travelling abroad out of the argument, I take the information I can find from those who actually know about such things, their characteristics, effects and likelyhood of being used.
I think the Royal College Of Anaethetists "may " just have more knowledge than your brother in law and I quote from them
"Despite the increasing numbers of reports of people being gassed in
motor-homes or commercial trucks in France, and the warning put
out by the Foreign Office for travellers to be aware of this danger, this
College remains of the view that this is a myth.
It is the view of the College that it would not be possible to render
someone unconscious by blowing ether, chloroform or any of the
currently used volatile anaesthetic agents, through the window of a
motor-home without their knowledge, even if they were sleeping at
the time. Ether is an extremely pungent agent and a relatively weak
anaesthetic by modern standards and has a very irritant affect on
the air passages, causing coughing and sometimes vomiting. It takes
some time to reach unconsciousness, even if given by direct application
to the face on a cloth, and the concentration needed by some
sort of spray administered directly into a room would be enormous.
The smell hangs around for days and would be obvious to anyone the
next day. Even the more powerful modern volatile agents would need
to be delivered in tankerloads of carrier gas or by a large compressor.
Potential agents, such as the one used by the Russians in the Moscow
siege are few in number and difficult to obtain. Moreover, these drugs
would be too expensive for the average thief to use.
The other important point to remember is that general anaesthetics
are potentially very dangerous, which is why they are only administered
in the UK by doctors who have undergone many years of postgraduate
training in the subject and who remain with the unconscious
patient throughout the anaesthetic. Unsupervised patients are likely
to die from obstruction of the airway by their tongues falling back. In
the Moscow seige approximately 20% of the people died, many probably
from airway obstruction directly related to the agent used.
If there was a totally safe, odourless, potent, cheap anaesthetic agent
available to thieves for this purpose it is likely the medical profession
would know about it and be investigating its use in anaesthetic
practice

I also quote from TruckPol
"
Wednesday 11 August 2010 11:08

Truckpol says gas attacks on sleeping drivers remain a myth, despite claims the problem is worsening in some European countries.
DC Alan Soames, head of the crime intelligence unit, says there has never been any evidence to suggest drivers have been gassed so a theft can take place or to enable stowaways to sneak into a trailer.
"There has been no medical proof so far. [European Law Enforcement Agency] Europol has done some research and were of the same opinion that they didn't believe it's actually happening."

Now,,,,,,,,,,,surely they ALL cannot be wrong???????????

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Just an aside here. Lord Cherwell, Winston Churchill's chief scientist was adamant Germany did not have the ability to build flying bombs and rockets
smiley-laughing.gif

Who do you believe?
smiley-undecided.gif

May 21, 2008
Visit site
So I guess you'd like to call the French CID police liars and the photographs of the cylinder still in place on the fridge vent of the motorhome a "mock up". Oh of corse there's the phorensic report on the content of the gas cylinder.

If people can be killed by carbon mon-oxide gas leaking un-detected from gas appliances, then it is quite plausable for a non odorous gas to be available.

To be quite frank Damian I don't intend to instigate argument as you call it! I deal in fact and only quote information that comes to me from trusted sorces, idle bar chatter doesn't interest me.

Referring to the inital topic of this thread. If Wayne fells more secure and at peace of mind using a proximity alarm then so be it. I merely interjected with my experiance of my own security alarm that is used at work and gave reference to what happened to my brother-in-law as example.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If there is forensic data available on the content of the cylinder,what was the gas used?
If there was a lot of this going on, I am sure it would have been widely publicised to enable warnings and advice on what kind of gas alarm was needed.

Bringing Carbon Monoxide into the arena is a Red Herring, it has absolutely nothing to do with these "gas attacks"

Until documented proof is available to support the "stories", it has to remain an Urban Myth.

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I am beginning to get really annoyed at the conversations regarding gas and myths
What we should bear in mind is the following fact:
Caravans do get stolen from driveways
Caravans do get stolen from service stations

Yes you can have a tracker fitted or an interior alarm but both of these systems are after the event and although many people on here would be happy to have the caravan recovered they are all I am sure not happy that the theft occurred in the first place.
A proximity alarm would to all tense and purposes create a protective bubble around the vehicle so it can provide either a verbal alert or sound alert or even and electronic alert of an attempt to remove, enter or steal the vehicle therby theoretically increasing the chances of the crime being prevented.
This relates to either the vehicle being empty when the theft is attempted or the vehicle being occupied.
therefore it is my personal opinion that if a satisfactory proximity system is available on the market and fit for purpose it would be worth the investment regardless of gas incidences being real or a myth

May 21, 2008
Visit site
I couldn't agree mor John.
In fact if Wayne anf his family feel safer with the use of a security device of what ever description then that is quite acceptable.
The most common proximity device around properties is the motion detector activated flood lights and we see plenty of those.

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
To All

The sleeptight fitters arrived at my home today around 10am they finished the installation around 7pm this evening.
The work was very professional all wires clipped to the bottom of the van both front and back all terminals fitted cable ties in the correct places as I said very very good.

They installed two systems for me
The first works on the entry door and on the hitch now if anybody approaches the caravan either by the door or the hitch to try and hitch the caravan to a vehicle an alarm sounds in my home and I am made immediately aware of somebodies presence.

The second system covers all the sides of the caravan front and back which includes all window entries and door entry if anybody approaches the caravan the lights start to flash then a buzzer sounds inside the caravan and an external alarm sounds until they move away from the caravan added to all the above I have a buzzer in my pocket that blleps for example if I am sitting drinking coffee in the service area letting me know that somebody is attempting to breach my caravan. This buzzer works up to a distance of 500 metres more that enough for a service area.

All in All I am very pleased with the whole system and the company I could have purchased a tracker but that would just be good after the caravan has been stolen this system will prevent the theft and has removed the need for a tracker anyway
I hope the above is of interest to all members of this forum

Nov 28, 2007
Visit site
I looked Sleeptight up on the web and the price seems to be £300 + is this correct. Perhaps you have had extras. They say it is easily fitted, but their guys seem to take 9 hours and lots of wiring whereas the web suggests wireless. Looks good.

Just a thought, the alternative perhaps, do trackers work in europe? or is it only UK police which have the kit?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts