ps276 12v charger

Apr 21, 2007
Visit site
Hi , Im having problems with my onboard battery charger, it dosnt have a manufactures name on it but a number ps276. 13.8 v bc, i think its not charging my battery when plugged into the mains elec, is there anyway to test this isnt giving out any charge to the battery. any answers will be welcomed.

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
hi, yes there is but you will need a volt meter.
1. with EHU disconnected take a reading from the battery at the terminals, should read about 12v ish if the battery is not flat.
2. with EHU connected take another reading if the charger is working it should now read 13.8v. if it is still around 12v the charger is not working.
3. also check the main power lead, on the EHU cable van end to make sure there is power to the charger. ie, try the 240v mains lights ect.
also look at the plug behind the charger to make sure it is connected (looks like a kettle plug) sometimes these can work loose while towing over time they the disconnect themselves "happened to me once"
if all else fails, and you happen to be away, get hold of a cheap charger plug it into one of the 240v sockets and charge the battery that way untill you get home.
hope this helps.

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
This particular transformer has a known overheating fault especially when fitted on earlier Bailey caravans. They can be obtained on Ebay for approximately £94 but I would shop around I managed to obtain one for £50 so they are not cheap.

They are quite easy to replace most people who are competent with DIY can do it. It is fitted in the fuse/electrical box, just remove the cover usually four screws at the front and four in side (under the seat). I would advise making more holes to increase air circulation around the transformer before replacing the cover.

Jul 31, 2009
Visit site
I noticed while cleaning our caravan yesterday that the battery hadn't been charging but the 12V lights & pump were working.
On tracing the wiring I discovered a dirty spade connector in the wire between the charger & battery.
From my experience it might be worth checking to see if you have a 12V (actually about 13.8V) output at the charger.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts