pt cruiser

Nov 1, 2005
Visit site
We used to have a 2.4GT Cruiser petrol manual, and that towed our old Elddis Mistral XL 2 berth (950kg, so within limits) like it wasn't even there. It actually towed it far better than the car we replaced the Cruiser with - a Volvo S60 D5 SE auto!

We found it an extremely good towcar, due in no small part to it's enormous kerbweight (1750kg, IIRC) compared to a low max tow.

Hope this helps,

Dale

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I assume that the 785kg that you mention is the weight of the caravan when empty, i.e. its MIRO. To my knowledge, the maximum (axle) load that the PT Cruiser may tow is 1000kg so you should be OK. Better check the data, though. However, if it isn't, there are sources on the Continent that can modify the PT Cruiser to tow 1400kg. It would be worth investigating further what these modifications are, should this be an issue for you.

Jan 3, 2009
Visit site
We used to have a 2.4GT Cruiser petrol manual, and that towed our old Elddis Mistral XL 2 berth (950kg, so within limits) like it wasn't even there. It actually towed it far better than the car we replaced the Cruiser with - a Volvo S60 D5 SE auto!

We found it an extremely good towcar, due in no small part to it's enormous kerbweight (1750kg, IIRC) compared to a low max tow.

Hope this helps,

Dale
Great to hear from someone at last whos actually used a cruiser ours is a :-

02 2litr auto

Kerb Weight Max. 1605 kg

Gross Vehicle Weight 1895 kg

Max. Payload 290 kg

Drag coefficient 0.379 cd

Fuel Tank Capacity 57 ltr

Max.Towing Weight (braked trailer) 1000 kg

want to tow a 2 bert avondale sandmartin lx but cant find the weight on the van one sight is selling same van but weight seems low any advise or help www.burtoncaravansales.co.uk

would you mind checking it out for me as im new to it all.

sue

Jan 3, 2009
Visit site
Great to hear from someone at last whos actually used a cruiser or has knowledge ours is a :-

02 2litr auto

Kerb Weight Max. 1605 kg

Gross Vehicle Weight 1895 kg

Max. Payload 290 kg

Drag coefficient 0.379 cd

Fuel Tank Capacity 57 ltr

Max.Towing Weight (braked trailer) 1000 kg

want to tow a 2 berth avondale sandmartin but cant find the weight on the van one sight is selling same van but weight seems low any advise or help www.burtoncaravansales.co.uk

would you mind checking it out for me as im new to it all and give me more help and advice ime new to this forum stuff so everyone will have to excuse me i will be popping up every where.

but i cant thank nyou all enough your so kind x

sue

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
If it's any help - the Avondale Owners Handbook for 1998 Model year gives the following for a Sandmartin:

Maximum Gross Weight 1200 kg

Ex.Works Weight 925 kg

Payload 247 kg.

This makes it more than your 1000 kg max. tow weight. As caravans were made heavier each year, if yours is younger than 1998 then it may be heavier. If older than 1998 then it may be lighter.

Nov 1, 2005
Visit site
Shamelessly borrowed ancient info from the Caravantalk forum:

1990 Sandmartin

ULW 849Kg

MLW 1060Kg

If you load CAREFULLY, you'll be absolutely fine and (someone correct me if I'm wrong) within the law. The Cruiser is capable of towing a far heavier load than the 1000kg it's actually rated for (I know - I towed nearly 1500kg with mine once), it's just that the Americans expect you to buy a pickup if you need to tow, so all yankie cars are conservatively rated. The Cruiser really is an extremely stable towcar, though yours being a 2.0 auto will probably feel the weight on hills, etc.

Dale

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts