pump running intermittent

Sep 29, 2008
Visit site
Please could anyone help - i have an Elddis crusader super sirroco 2008 and my pumps keep running off and on every 6 seconds when all taps are closed i have checked for leaks but to no avail - before fiddling with something i do not understand is there something i can do around the pump area or outside with the filter {swinging to release air not worked} i could try - non return valves have been mentioned on the internet any advise would be very much appreciated.

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
Are you on EHU or off grid running on your battery only when this is happening ..check your battery voltage with a multimeter as low voltage will cause problems. ..

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Adam,

If the pump continually runs for a moment every 6 seconds or so and will only stop when you turn the power off, then I suspect it is neither of the issues my illustrious co contributors have mentioned.

What is happening is the pump is able to get the water pressure high enough to turn off, The combination of the plastic pipe work and designed air caps in some appliances gives the water system some elasticity, but there is a leak of some sort which is allowing the pipework to lose pressure which is triggers the pump again.
Now you have said you cant find a leak anywhere, This can be the the apparent case so I suggest you look again carefully. But also the problem can be the non return valve in the pressure switch. If this is not closing completely then when the pump turns off, it may allow some water back through to drain back to the tank - hence you don't see it.

In many cases with careful disassembly of the pressure switch you can clean it and recover the situation, but if that doesn't work you could insert a new non return valve in the pipe work between the pump and the switch, or of course replace the whole pressure switch.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Adam.
My learned colleagues have given you sound advice..
However there is one more thing.
Air is entering the system causing pressure loss hence the pump trips in.
Check the water link from the aquaroll to the side caravan inlet.
On the end of the pipe feed is a rubber o ring. Change it.
That worked for me.
God luck

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
Adam . Dusty has offered you a sound Idea as this has happened to on a couple of occasions plus best star at t the cheap DIY bit . Please let us know how you get on . Merry Christmas .
Sir Roger

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I think a 2008 van may be a bit early to have the Whale pump control module fitted to the back of the pump inlet - if indeed it has Whale pump equipment at all.

However, if it has, this may need re-setting (it is actually the pressure switch but is not adjusted with a knurled knob or any other mechanical device)

To find out, look inside the van at the back of the pump inlet connection. If you see a small yellow block about the size of a matchbox with one LED and a small black push-button, then this is the device. Although these are claim to avoid all the problems of variable volt ate on pressure switches it has been my experience that they occasionally lose their calibration and produce the effect just as you describe.

Rather than try to give you the resetting method from memory and proably getting it wrong, I suggest you go to the Whale (Pump) website where you will find the correct instructions

Apart from coping with voltage changes these devices claim to detect when the pump is running dry and swish it off before it burns out or siezes. Given the price of replacement pumps, this is a comforting feature to have.

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
It's well worth checking the plastic casing of the pressure switch very carefully; I had a similar problem with my pump (Flo-Jet) and found a minute crack in the moulding, allowing drop in pressure and therefore pump running.
Best of luck.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
From what i remember the Crusader 2008 had the on board Whale Aquasmart pump, the connection to the aquaroll was just a carbon filter. The on board pump either pulls water from the aquaroll or on board tank depending on the manual valve setting.
From what i remember there was no pressure switch( pump did this)
My guess is the on board pump needs servicing if no leaks are present and fully purged of air? There is a service kit for this, leaking diaphragm o ring maybe?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If the pump is indeed an Aquasmart or other on board pump, then the problem may be due to trapping air when changing to a full external container or when having run out and refilled. I have fitted a Whale internal pump which exibits this symptom after changeover and it take a while to get rid of all the trapped air.
You may be able to stop the recycling by briefly opening each tap in turn after a container change and refill. This wastes a little water but stops the annoyance.
Otherwise I agree that the pump may need new parts. There have been several variations of this pump and you need to find the Whale type number to get the correct kit. This will be on a label on the pump, or in the instruction book that came with it. If in doubt, email Whale service and ask them. They are usually very helpful and quick to reply.

TRENDING THREADS