Pump Switch

Apr 16, 2024
Visit site
Hi Everyone,

I have a 2017 Elddis Crusader Storm.
I can't get either internal or external pumps to run. I've checked the fuse, that's ok, so i then moved onto the switch. This is the 1,0,11 position switch on the panel next to the door. The manual wiring diagram doesn't correspond with the wires going to the switch. The wires going to the switch are blue, purple and white, could someone please confirm what colour goes to what position on the switch.
Any advice regarding this matter would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Apr 16, 2024
Visit site
It was, then when i came to check the system a couple of weeks ago, nothing. Someone came to look at it and had the pump switch out with the wires disconnected. This is why i'm questioning the wiring.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
It was, then when i came to check the system a couple of weeks ago, nothing. Someone came to look at it and had the pump switch out with the wires disconnected. This is why i'm questioning the wiring.
If you paid them get them to put the wiring back into place. The wiring varies from caravan to caravan even with the same brand. Not many people would pull out the switch as normally the switch does not normally go faulty of the wiring to the switch. I suspect that the issue lies with the 12v supply. We have a 2018 Elddis twin axle product.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
On the internal wiring systems most UK caravans, manufacturers use White for the 12V -ve negative wiring (sometimes erroneously called Earth which relate to mains AC systems)

If the switch that was removed was a three position change over toggle (on1- off-on2 ) then I suspect it is a pump select switch. The presence of a white wire suggests the choice of pump is made by switching the negative returns from the pumps. Both pumps will use just one fuse and pump control method ( i.e. switched taps or pressure switch)

Good electrical wiring practice suggests putting on/off switches and isolation devices like fuses and MCB's in the +ve or live feed, so that when apparently switched off or a fuse or MCB has tripped any down stream wiring or appliances should be at ground potential for safety. This has always been the way I have designed both 12V and mains systems.

A good electrician will not assume good practice has always been followed, and they should check, and I have seen some quite weird wiring installations in different models of caravans so it really comes down to tracing the wiring to various parts of the circuit such as the fuse, and the pumps control switching (pressure switch or switched taps) and establishing where the fault might be.

If you are not confident with electrics even 12Vdc systems (which can be almost as dangerous as mains 230V systems but in different ways) alway use a competent professional.

Incidentally I strongly suggest you double check the pump fuse, becasue if one of your pumps has short circuited (and submersible pumps can do this if they have run dry for for some time) that will blow the fuse, and of course once blown it will prevent power reaching the other pump when you switch over.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
It is a 3 way switch where all are live or "positive". Position 1 is for external to pump water into caravan, middle position is for external and internal?, Position 3 is for Internal only. Next to it is another switch to switch on the 12v for the pump. If the latter is not switched on then no water.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts