Putting PLG in car while abroad.

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
Hello everyone,

So far as a new member to the forum & a first time caravan owner, you guys have been fantastic answering questions which have made things easier to understand, as well as making me feel welcome. Thank you.

I hope you don't mind me asking a question which isn't related to my caravan.

Those of you who have travelled abroad caravaning my be able to answer this question regarding LPG filling at petrol stations while away.

Now the proud owner of our first caravan I thought it was time to save some Penny's on fuel ( as my Chrysler Voiger is a bit of a petrol guzzler ), & get it gas converted.

Getting to the point !! A friend of mine who had his car gas converted for the same reason, took his caravan abroad & found that because the filler where you attach the nozzle from the pump was facing upward on the top face of his bumper, in France the nozzle wouldn't work & was told that the filler had to be fitted to the side of the vehicle for the nozzle to work.

Apparently the nozzles are different abroad & you have to have an adaptor to put onto your filler first ? Plus the nozzle only works if it is in a horizontal position & NOT if the nozzle is pointing downward ?

My Questions being, ......... Is this true ?

Do you need an adaptor ?

Do I have to fit the filler on my car so that the nozzle is in a horizontal position when attached ?

In this country the filler could be upside down if you wanted, as long as you can get the nozzle to the filler, it doesn't matter !!!!

Can anybody enlighten me on this subject before I mount my filler where "I" want it, which is facing upward !!

Many thanks for your time.

Regards,

Smokey, ..............

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
As the gas goes in under pressure, I'm not sure that the angle of the filler is relevent, but a call to the LPGa would answer your question. Some European countries use a different connector to us here in UK, but adaptors are available on ebay for around £10 each. I carry both French and belgian fittings in my car. It's simply a matter of screwing the adaptor into your filler every time you fillup.
Btw, welcome to the world of money-saving motoring! You'll find lots of people will tell you tall tales about the snags of using gas, but just ignore them, and pat your wallet! (you'll also find that the knockers have never tried it)
Emmerson ( LPG user for over 15 years, here and all over Europe.)

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
Hello Emmerson,

Thank you for getting back to me.
I must admit when my friend told me about his problem filling with PLG, I thought the same as you that it shouldn't be a problem as its under pressure.
So with that in mind, I shall fit mine facing "up", the way I want it & get an adaptor like you said.

Cheers,

Smokey, ........

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts