Qashqai towing limit

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Very impressed with the Towcar of the Year awards. Some interesting info gained from all the categories.
We have a Saab 9-3 150bhp Vector Sportwagon, which makes an excellent tow car, due to low rear overhang, nice stiff suspension and of course power a-plenty. There will come a time, of course, when the car will need replacing, either due to rising cost of maintenance and/or difficulty in obtaining Saab-specific parts.
Now the Qashqai looks to be a possible replacement, with the 2 litre 150bhp in mind ( heavier than the Saab so should be OK) Also easy to drive - our daughter has one, and even being a mere slip of a lady, manages it well. Then we look at the towing limit - 1350 for the auto (which is essential for me due to arthritic left ankle) Eh? Less than the weight of our caravan. What gives? The tester gave a glowing report and it looked good on the test, very stable etc. But with such a low towing weight no good whatever for us. Even the manual version is only 50kg higher. So is this a chassis design constraint? I can see the virtue of a manufacturer setting a low limit for, say, a smaller engine to avoid strain on the running gear, but why such a low limit for what must be a very capable vehicle? What does Nissan say, and I feel there must have been questions asked of them to justify the limits?
Pete
PS - edited to add
I know that the latest model has a higher limit but we are looking at the older ones, say around 2008-2010. What may have changed since then?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Pete,
I cant tell what has changed on the Qashqai, but what ever it is. isn't going to help you if you not contemplating the newer model.

I was also faced with a Saab dilema, I had a trusty 9-3 2.2 tid which despite its age was still a very capable car, adn a lovely drive - excepting what seemed to be indemic starting problem of the GM2.2 diesel engine.

I ultimately opted to replace it with a VW Passat (2006) 170 with DSG auto box. This has a greater towing capacity than the Saab (though I don't currenrly tow with it) and it has both more power and better MPG. Worth considering?

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:
Hello Pete,
I cant tell what has changed on the Qashqai, but what ever it is. isn't going to help you if you not contemplating the newer model.

I was also faced with a Saab dilema, I had a trusty 9-3 2.2 tid which despite its age was still a very capable car, adn a lovely drive - excepting what seemed to be indemic starting problem of the GM2.2 diesel engine.

I ultimately opted to replace it with a VW Passat (2006) 170 with DSG auto box. This has a greater towing capacity than the Saab (though I don't currenrly tow with it) and it has both more power and better MPG. Worth considering?
Yes, the Passat featured in our 'want one' list. However, a few years ago, before we sent for the first Saab, I test-drove one. Very nice, but I didn't like the electronic handbrake. While I reckon I could learn to live with it, it would be a definite NO for my OH, who drives the Saab nearly as much as I do now I have retired. Even if I could relent, I would always be fearful of the brake releasing once cooled - I have read of such instances. Now with the Saab, being an auto, it has a clever system with the key. It is not possible to extract the key unless the car is in Park. So impossible for the car to roll away once one has left the driving seat. Does the VW have this? (the one I drove was manual, before my ankle finally gave up)
Another (perhaps small) point is I like to do my own servicing - the 'leccy' handbrake is just another PITA to fiddle with if/when it goes wrong or even just for pad replacement.
I also am looking at the Skoda Superb, very nice, I think probably just about an Audi A6 in disguise.,
Thanks for the comments!
Pete

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Petemate said:
............ Very nice, but I didn't like the electronic handbrake. While I reckon I could learn to live with it, it would be a definite NO for my OH, who drives the Saab nearly as much as I do now I have retired. Even if I could relent, I would always be fearful of the brake releasing once cooled - I have read of such instances. Now with the Saab, being an auto, it has a clever system with the key. It is not possible to extract the key unless the car is in Park. So impossible for the car to roll away once one has left the driving seat. Does the VW have this? .........................................I also am looking at the Skoda Superb, very nice, I think probably just about an Audi A6 in disguise.,
Thanks for the comments!
Pete

Hello Pete,
I've had no problems so far with the handbrake. In fact it has a nifty addition in that you can select for the EPB to apply when the car comes to a standstill, and will release when you touch the accelerator to move off. this is the automatic Parking Brake or APB.

Being an automatic (DSG) when in park the gearbox locks up so if the EPB did release , the car wont roll away.

Yes the car does prevent the key (actually the key fob) from being released until the car is in either Neutral or Park.

Just out of interest the recent tow car tests tested a Passat, and the drivers were at first skeptical about the EPB and APB but soon became to appreciate its function when towing.

I believe the Superb which is also rated highly, is bassed on the A4/ Passat platform not the A6, but I could be wrong.

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:
Petemate said:
............ Very nice, but I didn't like the electronic handbrake. While I reckon I could learn to live with it, it would be a definite NO for my OH, who drives the Saab nearly as much as I do now I have retired. Even if I could relent, I would always be fearful of the brake releasing once cooled - I have read of such instances. Now with the Saab, being an auto, it has a clever system with the key. It is not possible to extract the key unless the car is in Park. So impossible for the car to roll away once one has left the driving seat. Does the VW have this? .........................................I also am looking at the Skoda Superb, very nice, I think probably just about an Audi A6 in disguise.,
Thanks for the comments!
Pete

Hello Pete,
I've had no problems so far with the handbrake. In fact it has a nifty addition in that you can select for the EPB to apply when the car comes to a standstill, and will release when you touch the accelerator to move off. this is the automatic Parking Brake or APB.

Being an automatic (DSG) when in park the gearbox locks up so if the EPB did release , the car wont roll away.

Yes the car does prevent the key (actually the key fob) from being released until the car is in either Neutral or Park.

Just out of interest the recent tow car tests tested a Passat, and the drivers were at first skeptical about the EPB and APB but soon became to appreciate its function when towing.

I believe the Superb which is also rated highly, is bassed on the A4/ Passat platform not the A6, but I could be wrong.
Well, you have put my mind a little more at rest re the EPB/APB. So maybe I will consider later when the funds allow. I must say I do like the look of the Passats, especially the later ones. But it would have to be a 170bhp, as with the 150 I have at the moment I am rather spoilt, especially when, on cruise, it is wonderful to feel the car just sail up hills, even Gore Hill near Newbury with the caravan on when we go down south.
Re the Superb, I also read somewhere that it is based on the A4/Passat but I still think that it is slightly larger - perhaps based on the platform but sizes tweaked a bit?
Pete

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts