Quattro motor mover

Jan 31, 2024
Visit site
Recently, our motor mover stopped working. It would only move the caravan for a second or two then stop. This was after a full week of hook up, so I would presume there was enough power. I tried it with the mover disengaged from the tyres, and it spun ok.
Any suggestions much appreciated.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Recently, our motor mover stopped working. It would only move the caravan for a second or two then stop. This was after a full week of hook up, so I would presume there was enough power. I tried it with the mover disengaged from the tyres, and it spun ok.
Any suggestions much appreciated.
More than likely the battery is on the way out?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Are the caravan brakes properly released and the wheels free to turn?

I would certainly question the battery, whether its wearing out, but it could also be that its not being charged properly by the system in the caravan. You need to check the the voltage at the battery terminals with a good multimeter:-

If the battery is receiving enough voltage to charge the terminals on the battery should produce a reading of between 13.8 and 14.5V when the charger is turned on. If it doesn't reach that voltage, it means the charger isn't working.

Put the battery on charge for at least 24 hours, then Turn the charger and all the 12V systems off or disconnect the battery terminals and leave it to stand for at least 1 hour to settle. Then check the terminal voltage which if the battery has accepted a charge should be more than 12.6V. If its less than 12.6, it suggests the battery is not good.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
If checking the battery with a multi meter is is always good practice to remove the negative terminal before measuring voltage of battery.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
The first suspect would be the battery, especially if it has some age. A simple voltage test is not enough. It is best tested under load. Halfords are quite good, they will do a drop test while you wait, they have never charged me in the past.

John

Reactions: ProfJohnL
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The first suspect would be the battery, especially if it has some age. A simple voltage test is not enough. It is best tested under load. Halfords are quite good, they will do a drop test while you wait, they have never charged me in the past.

John
A drop test is the "gold standard" for assessing battery condition, but it does need to be done correctly and preferably without the tester looking for an opportunity to gain a sale.

It's rather like MOT's, my preference is to use an MOT station that does not do repairs.

Reactions: Hutch
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
A drop test is the "gold standard" for assessing battery condition, but it does need to be done correctly and preferably without the tester looking for an opportunity to gain a sale.

It's rather like MOT's, my preference is to use an MOT station that does not do repairs.
I agree regarding a sale opportunity, and I am forever sceptical. But , over the years I have had about 5 drop tests done at Halfords, and they have never tried to use it for a sale, just an honest report.

John

Reactions: Buckman
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site

A drop test is the old crude way of establishing a battery's condition as repeated drop tests will further damage a battery - mostly now an electronic tester will use an algorithm to calculate the battery's State Of Health (SOH) as well as its State Of Charge (SOC). They aren't expensive https://www.amazon.co.uk/KINGBOLEN-...eywords=battery+tester&qid=1706873694&sr=8-10 Many AWS technician use them to check the caravan leisure battery during a service.

Reactions: otherclive
Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
Also check all of the mover connections up to and including the battery. After mine was swapped from our previous caravan by the dealer I noticed the terminals were incredibly hot after use which was due to the positive lead working loose. Having worked in the connector industry for 30 years I should have known better and checked the installation before use!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Mine started to play up and fail to move the caravan because the power leads into the movers had corroded. A good clean and remaking the terminal connections resolved the problem.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Many years ago moving off from a very awkward, site in France early one morning, the MM would not play. Getting home and diagnosed that the connections to the fuse were loose. .
Back to basics really.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Start from the beginning.
How is the hand controller battery?

Agree about the Leisure Battery comments

Like Clive I have had poor contacts with the power to motor cables.

Check the internal magic box. Has the aerial lead been damaged or has something squashed or screened the master box of tricks?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts