Question about MOT and Serviceing

Mar 1, 2006
Visit site
Hi, We're thinking of purchasing our first touring caravan in the summer, but first i have a few questions. Do touring caravans need to under go an MOT and what about servicing of the equipment?

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Deborah it depends if you are buying used or new. If its a new van you will probably find you have to take it back to the dealer you purchased it off to maintain the warranty. If it's used you can take it to any reputable dealer but its worth shopping around because costs vary so much. To give you an idea the annual service on our Abbey 2 berth GTS Vogue cost

Mar 1, 2006
Visit site
Thanks for your replies, it would be a second hand van hoping to get a 5 berth not sure on model yet. I think it is a matter of what is available at the time we decide to buy really.

Jul 12, 2005
Visit site
Hi

Bit of advice for you. before you go looking at the vans, select the layout you want and work out what you can tow. This will save a lot of time and trouble later.

I love doing the rounds of the dealers look for a van, have fun and I hope you find what you want.

Maybe, even join us at easter to give it a good try out

Steve

Mar 1, 2006
Visit site
Hi

Bit of advice for you. before you go looking at the vans, select the layout you want and work out what you can tow. This will save a lot of time and trouble later.

I love doing the rounds of the dealers look for a van, have fun and I hope you find what you want.

Maybe, even join us at easter to give it a good try out

Steve
Yes that's a good idea. I do know that i want a 3 or 4 ring hob as we will be eating in the van rather than going out. As for layout i haven't a clue. I suppose the best bet would be to go to see the vans on display at the dealers and decide which would be best. we would prefer to buy private than from a dealer as we would like to have all the extra's included, maybe from someone who is packing up.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
that's another thing too, my car. i currently have a 1994 Rover 216 would this be suitable or would i need something with a bit more grit.
Hi Deborah,Yes you will really need a car with more grit especially if you are going for a 5-berth caravan.If Lutz is out there may be he,s the best one to advise on type of vehicle,personally you really need a minium size of 2000cc(2Ltr)engine and if you got a diesel all the better.Good Luck and take on board all the advice given,there are some very helpful people on this forum .Jim

Jul 12, 2005
Visit site
Hi

If you do buy from a dealer, tell them you want a starter pack with the van. Most dealers will include the basics to get you started if they know you are new

Mar 1, 2006
Visit site
Hi

If you do buy from a dealer, tell them you want a starter pack with the van. Most dealers will include the basics to get you started if they know you are new
What would you expect in a starter pack, also would i expect this be included in the original price of the van? what about awnings is this included also?

Jul 12, 2005
Visit site
What would you expect in a starter pack, also would i expect this be included in the original price of the van? what about awnings is this included also?
Awning - NO

what you should get is

Gas bottle

regulator

step

water carrier

weaste water container

pipes for the water bits

water pump

Chichester caravans did this for us and I am told many other dealers do it as well

Steve

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Deborah, the figures I have found for the 216, depending on which variant are:

Kerbweight,between 1025 and 1075 kgs

85% Tow guide: between 871 and 901 kgs

Max load on towball 70kgs (all models)

So, whatever van you decide to go for, the MTPLM must NOT exceed the cars kerbweight, at worst, but ideally, no heavier than the 85% figure, for safety of YOU and other road users.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts