Question for digital SLR users

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi

Well, been out and about using the new camera. I need to get some more memory cards though coz if I'm taking action shots of the dogs, I can take 200 shots in less than two minutes.

Can anyone tell me which is the best lens cleaner to use. I only have one lens at the mo, so it's just to be used on the actual front lens as there is no need for me to remove the lens all together.

Many thanks.

Lisa

May 7, 2007
Visit site
Hi Lisa,

As a pro Photographer I feel I am qualified to answer your question. What I tend to use is lens cleaning tissues that you can buy from Specsavers Opticians, you then need to get some dry lens cleaning tissues available from any camera shop just to shine up the lens after the initial cleaning.

What slr, and size memory card are you using, if you have the file size set to raw your memory card will only be able to hold a limited number of images, if you have it set to jpg, you will get a lot more images on your card.

Hope this helps

Graham (Ponty)

Feb 8, 2006
Visit site
I agree with Graham and would also encourage you to fit a skylight filter to the lens.

Not only will it give your photographs more dramatic colour, it will protect the lens. If you do damage the filter during cleaning it is far cheaper to replace than the lens.

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi

Thanks for the replies.

It's a Canon EOS 400D.

I shoot in Jpeg. At the mo, I've only got a 1GB 80 speed CF card, I've got to get another one or two.

Thanks for the tips, I'll get some lens cleaning tissues and also some dry lens cleaning tissues.

I'll look into a skylight filter too.

I have ordered a book on tips etc but I think it's got lost in the post as I have not received it.

Lisa

May 7, 2007
Visit site
Hi lisa,

I also aggree with Ian, a skylight filter will give you better picture quality. I think the size of filter you need is a 58mm one, best take your lens with you when you buy the filter.

The filter just screws onto the end of the lens. With a 1GB Compact Flash card you should be able to get more pictures on the card than just 200, ckeck to see if you have the file settings set to Jpeg and Raw, if you have this will save pictures in both jpeg and raw on your card. I know the camera is 10.1 megapixel but i'm sure you should be able to get more images on the card than just 200.

I use a Nikon D2Hs, a Nikon D2H, and a Nikon D1X all with 512GB compact flash cards with the D2Hs I can get about 219 images in jpeg format and about 96 images in raw format.

Have a look at the following website, Stuart Little, is an expert in Photoshop techniques and the forum is full of people willing to give you help with photography.

http://www.thelittlephotoshop.co.uk/
Hope this helps

Regards

Graham (Ponty)

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Graham & Ian

I've just ordered a SanDisk Extreme III CompactFlash - 2GB that should keep me going. I've also ordered a skylight filter too, you were right, it is a 58mm filter size.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Lisa

Jun 6, 2006
Visit site
Hi lisa,

I also aggree with Ian, a skylight filter will give you better picture quality. I think the size of filter you need is a 58mm one, best take your lens with you when you buy the filter.

The filter just screws onto the end of the lens. With a 1GB Compact Flash card you should be able to get more pictures on the card than just 200, ckeck to see if you have the file settings set to Jpeg and Raw, if you have this will save pictures in both jpeg and raw on your card. I know the camera is 10.1 megapixel but i'm sure you should be able to get more images on the card than just 200.

I use a Nikon D2Hs, a Nikon D2H, and a Nikon D1X all with 512GB compact flash cards with the D2Hs I can get about 219 images in jpeg format and about 96 images in raw format.

Have a look at the following website, Stuart Little, is an expert in Photoshop techniques and the forum is full of people willing to give you help with photography.

http://www.thelittlephotoshop.co.uk/
Hope this helps

Regards

Graham (Ponty)
Hi Graham,

Should that be 512kb as in half a gig??

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Another word of advice Lisa, just incase you don't already know.

If you intend downloading your pics onto your computer and editing them change the file format from JPEG to TIFF in a graphics editor.

Everytime you make an edit and save it, like cloning, adjusting the levels, text, border/frames etc. with JPEG it loses quality whereas with TIFF it doesn't. After editing you can always convert it back to JPEG. You may find that you need to do this if you are intending to store the pics on your hard drive because TIFF are a lot larger file size.

TRENDING THREADS